Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 230
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    patsu wrote: »
    Can he perform other government facing role in Apple ?

They can choose someone else for the PR Chief.

I wouldn't hire somebody like that to clean the toilets. Frankly anybody associated with the current administration should be tried for sedition and dealt with as a criminal.
  • Reply 42 of 230

Apple getting a little political and supporting, say, gay rights is not "cool" from a corporate point of view and will alienate some of their customers, but I'm personally OK with it. However, hiring an incredibly dishonest propagandist is enough to make me switch back to M$FT. 

• Reply 43 of 230
    jessejjessej Posts: 29member

Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field was a great thing.

Jay Carney's Repeatedly Deceitfully Lying is only bad.

If Carney Is Hired, I Am Still Going To Buy Apple Products. But If Carney Speaks Publicly In Any Apple Functions Anywhere; IMMEDIATELY SHUT OFF/MUTED/LEAVE IN PROTEST. Since Apple Has A Reputation For Being Best, Why Ruin It By Hiring Among The Worst Public-Face Scumbags!

• Reply 44 of 230
    Are you serious here?
    Can you expound on that statement?
    I can't speak for him but if you are the public face of a corrupt administration then you should be held accountable along with the rest of the gang.
    Even if you are for a different political party than the one Carney was working for, how does that affect his role at Apple?
    If you can't demonstrate ethical behavior in one occupation there is zero chance that you will suddenly develop a sense of ethics for the next job. It really has nothing to do with the political parties in Washington.
    It it is a liberal/conservative issue keep in mind that Apple is one of the most liberal large corporation there is.
    You can be liberal and also ethical. Beyond that what we have seen recently in Washington is far from any definition of liberal that I know of. That is unless your definition is of liberalism is the loss of all of your civil liberties.
    I'm honestly curious about why there is the Carney hate. Thanks in advance.

I have no idea why you call this hate. It has nothing to do with hate but rather it is bad business and frankly bad personal behavior to reward the unethical and those that support an administration so hostile to the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Hate is often irrational so it can't really be applied here.
  • Reply 45 of 230
    It really doesn't matter if he did a good job or not. The problem is being associated with the adminstration. By the way not because there are Democrates in the Whitehouse but rather because this bunch have such a total disregard for the Constitution and ethical behavior.
    tbell wrote: »
    Being a Press Secretary in such contentious times is a tough gig, and Carney I suspect did no worst then others would have. He essentially is asked to provide to the press information that the White House wants him to provide even when he himself is without all the information. Nonetheless, I highly doubt Apple would select such a high profile controversial public official with baggage to fill such a public position for it. 

Moreover, what makes the story bogus to me is what would there for Carney to consider if he in fact was offered the job? From his perspective, there wouldn't be a better gig to cash in on his former successes. 

Hitler had people working the press for him, should those people be rewarded for their short term successful?
  • Reply 46 of 230
    Common sense says you don't reward bad behavior even if somebody was in a supporting role.
    tbell wrote: »

Agreed, he would be a good PR person for Apple. He certainly is qualified. Nonetheless, to appease the brainwashed politics is a sporting event crowd who far outnumbers the common sense crowd it probably is best Apple not put a controversial figure in such a position. 
  • Reply 47 of 230
    Ah, the far right wing crawling out of the woodworks again.... Sigh....

You guys are relentless.

Not in the least! Apple can do a lot better. You try to paint this as a right wing response when it really has nothing to do with politics. We have an adminstration that is functionally criminal. Carney shares some responsibility for that and as such needs to suffer.
  • Reply 48 of 230
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I wouldn't hire somebody like that to clean the toilets. Frankly anybody associated with the current administration should be tried for sedition and dealt with as a criminal.

EC Commission, FCC and the Chinese government generally downplay or fail/refuse to recognize Apple's contribution and commitment in industrywide goals. EC Commission ignored "Ask to Buy" destined for iOS8. FCC slammed Apple *after* it has already sorted out the in-app purchase issues on its own. And the Chinese state media on various occasions accused Apple of non-existing issues.

Someone like Carney would understand how these people work better. It may not be a bad idea to strengthen the Government Relations team so to speak. Apple need to make those government bodies understand and recognize their work in green technologies, privacy, and better work environment worldwide too.

That's a full time job. As for Public Relations, they are open to find someone else.

• Reply 49 of 230
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Not in the least! Apple can do a lot better. You try to paint this as a right wing response when it really has nothing to do with politics. We have an adminstration that is functionally criminal. Carney shares some responsibility for that and as such needs to suffer.
    Exactly. No one can say with a straight face that this is the best person Apple could hire to replace Katie Cotton. Why does Apple need to hire someone from government? Does that mean Apple should set up a PAC and start donating to political candidates? Or use Carney's connections to curry favor with Washington? I'd rather Apple not become a typical big corporation in that respect.
  • Reply 50 of 230
    EC Commission, FCC and the Chinese government generally downplay or fail/refuse to recognize Apple's contribution and commitment in industrywide goals. EC Commission ignored "Ask to Buy" destined for iOS8. FCC slammed Apple *after* it has already sorted out the in-app purchase issues on its own. And the Chinese state media on various occasions accused Apple of non-existing issues.

Someone like Carney would understand how these people work better. It may not be a bad idea to strengthen the Government Relations team so to speak. Apple need to make those government bodies understand and recognize their work in green technologies, and better work environment worldwide too.
    Amber Cottle was hired as Apple's chief lobbyist earlier this year. http://tinyurl.com/obdmp29

IMO government relations and communications/PR departments should be separate.
  • Reply 51 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple already hired someone like that earlier this year. I can't remember his name but he worked for a congressman. IMO government relations and communications/PR departments should be separate.

She may need help to tackle this on a worldwide scale. 

Most large companies have a separate government and policy team (different from PR). After the stupid NSA fiasco, these teams have been busy trying to explain to foreign government that they don't work with NSA. That's another item on the dude's job description.

A lobbyist don't generally have experiences dealing with these global issues.

• Reply 52 of 230
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    wizard69 wrote: »

When Americans realise that all politicians are criminal, regardless of party we will begin to solve the problem. Now do we all think that Apple does not know what it is doing here?
  • Reply 53 of 230

She may need help to tackle this on a worldwide scale. 

Most large companies have a separate government and policy team (different from PR). After the stupid NSA fiasco, these teams have been busy trying to explain to foreign government that they don't work with NSA. 

As I said in my other post I think Apple's communications team should be separate from government relations. IMO those are completely different functions.
  • Reply 54 of 230
    Quote:

As I said in my other post I think Apple's communications team should be separate from government relations. IMO those are completely different functions.

They are separate but related. The Bloomberg and Re/code rumors may have gotten the roles mixed up. 

• Reply 55 of 230
    They are separate but related. The rumors may have gotten the roles mixed up. 
    I guess I wasn't aware Apple was looking for someone to lead a government relations department. Anyway I'll be curious to see if Dalrymple responds to this Bloomberg story on his site.
  • Reply 56 of 230
    Quote:

I guess I wasn't aware Apple was looking for someone to lead a government relations department.

And why would you ? Tim Cook doesn't report to you or anyone on this forum after all.

• Reply 57 of 230
    And why would you ? Tim Cook doesn't report to you or anyone on this forum after all.
    Of course not. But you said "the rumors may have gotten the roles mixed up". That would imply there is some government relations role Apple is looking to fill. I'm wondering how you know that.
  • Reply 58 of 230
    Quote:

Of course not. But you said "the rumors may have gotten the roles mixed up". That would imply there is some government relations role Apple is looking to fill. I'm wondering how you know that.

Because of all the articles about repeated Government failure*s* to recognize Apple's contribution and position ? They clearly need help understanding Apple better. Apple should be proactive about it.

It's not just Apple. That NSA fiasco hurt all American companies big time. I personally know of many overseas deals in assorted US companies getting stuck or rejected because of it.

The press, whether it's Bloomberg or Re/code, generally don't understand Apple fully. I wouldn't take their reasoning and interpretation wholesale.

The Loop's reply doesn't offer any interpretation. It's just a flat-out denial of the PR job match up. Carney may not be the Katie Cotton replacement.

• Reply 59 of 230
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

If Tim Cook hires him then he loses me as a customer.

No you won't. That's a lie, and you know it.

It's so easy to act indignant, and say thing you don't mean and you don't plan on following-through on online-  but with you, it gets a little old. I'd actually be for Carney if it meant you would actually leave, sparing us from your incessant whining and bitching, because of the fact that you believe your opinions to be so important that you need to repeat the same thing ad-nauseum in every thread. Also, if your reasons for buying Apple products are contingent on who is employed as their PR chief, and are willing to jump shit to some other random company (I'm sure who haven't though that one ahead, so I won't ask), then maybe you should reassess why you're even buying Apple products in the first place?

I may have opinions on Apple's internal operations and their hiring decisions, but that's not the reason I buy their products- those reasons are based on the product themselves, the software, ecosystem, support, design, apps, etc. That all that means nothing to you, and you're willing to jump ship over a non-essential hire (we're not even talking about a VP here, or someone who has anything to do with product development), then you probably shouldn't be spending $$ on Apple products in the first place, and you have some truly mind-numbing decision making skills. Try to use rationality instead of pure ideology, once in a while. Your need for drama is so transparent. 

• Reply 60 of 230
    Because of all the articles about repeated Government failure*s* to recognize Apple's contribution and position ? They clearly need help understanding Apple better. Apple should be proactive about it.

It's not just Apple. That NSA fiasco hurt all American companies big time. I personally know of many overseas deals in assorted US companies getting stuck or rejected because of it.

The press, whether it's Bloomberg or Re/code, generally don't understand Apple fully. I wouldn't take their reasoning and interpretation wholesale.

The Loop's reply doesn't offer any interpretation. It's just a flat-out denial of the PR job match up.
    Ok so you don't know of a specific role Apple is trying to fill, you just think they need someone to better represent them to various governments. Got it. The rumor Dalrymple said "nope" to specifically said Carney's name was being "bandied about" as Apple's new PR chief. I'm not sure what Dalrymple would need to interpret. He said Tim Cook has never met Jay Carney. Not sure how he would know that other than someone from Apple telling him.