Outgoing Apple board member Bill Campbell offers insight into company, Steve Jobs in interview

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't really see the attitude of superiority you're describing nor that the forum has changed much over the years. As I've described before, a forum like this is like in sports where the team here has blue shirts and the other team, typically members of other forums, has green. If someone in the green shirt wanders over to the blue team's part of the stadium and starts talking about the merits of the other team, how do you expect them to react? Maybe at times the blue team will suggest their team is the best but it's because they are supporters, that's the nature of the game. There may be times when criticism is warranted but doing it perpetually just serves to annoy people.

There's no need to move somewhere else at all, just be more respectful towards other forum members in accepting that they are not looking for constant alternatives to their preferences. People aren't deluded into thinking Apple is the best where it's not warranted, they choose to support Apple. If the discussion skews too much towards what some people call neutral territory, threads just end up getting derailed into promoting Android or Windows or something that most people on an Apple forum don't really care about.

It's important to have the right motive if you want to get something out of being a member of the forum too. If the motive is to drive discussion into promoting alternative products or companies then there's nothing to be gained being a member because people who sign up to a forum about one company aren't undecided voters so they aren't likely to casually switch sides. That doesn't mean 'join us or die', it just means people have their preference and people need to be respectful of it.

Okay, everything you said makes sense, I'm sorry. Still going to start my own corner though, hhmmmm Relic's Attic, nooo, Relic's Box, oh hell no, Relic's Delusions ..........................

• Reply 42 of 49
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    relic's take
  • Reply 43 of 49
    AI generated duplicate AI Fourms iPad UI sucks!
  • Reply 44 of 49
    AI generated duplicate AI Fourms iPad UI sucks!
  • Reply 45 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    Still going to start my own corner though, hhmmmm Relic's Attic, nooo, Relic's Box, oh hell no, Relic's Delusions ..........................

Just don't use a saint's relics since I like your writing and want to keep on reading your posts. Stay with us, on whichever topic you'd like to write about.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:

Quote:

Actually, Intuit has been developing a new version of Quicken for Mac for the past year. They're building on the more modern Quicken Essentials code base, and adding the functionality from the legacy Quicken for Mac products (like handling investments). The first release of the new Quicken will probably occur this quarter, with additional free updates in subsequent quarters as they continue to add functionality.

Is there any actual confirmation of this? Quicken Essentials for Mac was introduced in February 2010. We're about to enter August of 2014. They couldn't add features - which they had already designed and coded -  into another product in less than three and a half years?

I think there were changes in personnel, and the team that built Quicken Essentials was not kept intact to continue development. And they spent a significant chunk of time writing the code to enable Quicken 2007 to run on Lion (and Snow Leopard and Mavericks, and, from user reports, Yosemite) after Apple removed Rosetta code from Lion. 

A new product manager was hired in 2012 (from the Microsoft Mac team), and they began working on the foundations of a new Quicken for Mac, built on the work that had been done for Essentials. The guy's name is Marcus, and if you Google "Quicken Marcus", you'll find his postings in the public Quicken Community forums. (He also tweets periodically, with the handle @softwaremarcus.) ;Here is a good post to start on, because it addresses why they couldn't replicate Quicken 2007 or Quicken Windows for a new version on the Mac:

https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/156026-update-6-from-quicken-marcus

The latest of the public posts is a few months old, but talks about their progress in early beta versions of the new version of Quicken. Development has continued since then, and more betas have been released to testers who are doubtless under non-disclosure. From what I've heard, they are pretty close to releasing Quicken 2015 for Mac. It's not going to be feature complete in the first release, but they must want to get it on the market a.s.a.p. as an update for Essentials users and others eager for Quicken on the Mac. They plan to have free updates throughout the first year to add additional Quicken 2007 and Quicken Windows features which haven't yet been built in Quicken 2015 for Mac.

• Reply 47 of 49
    ptramptram Posts: 58member
    I could never stand Quicken and its clumsy user interface. Today, I use Jumsoft Money, and everything feels much more at home on the Mac. Not as powerful, but powerful enough to keep track of my accounts.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't really see the attitude of superiority you're describing nor that the forum has changed much over the years. As I've described before, a forum like this is like in sports where the team here has blue shirts and the other team, typically members of other forums, has green. If someone in the green shirt wanders over to the blue team's part of the stadium and starts talking about the merits of the other team, how do you expect them to react? Maybe at times the blue team will suggest their team is the best but it's because they are supporters, that's the nature of the game. There may be times when criticism is warranted but doing it perpetually just serves to annoy people.

There's no need to move somewhere else at all, just be more respectful towards other forum members in accepting that they are not looking for constant alternatives to their preferences. People aren't deluded into thinking Apple is the best where it's not warranted, they choose to support Apple. If the discussion skews too much towards what some people call neutral territory, threads just end up getting derailed into promoting Android or Windows or something that most people on an Apple forum don't really care about.

It's important to have the right motive if you want to get something out of being a member of the forum too. If the motive is to drive discussion into promoting alternative products or companies then there's nothing to be gained being a member because people who sign up to a forum about one company aren't undecided voters so they aren't likely to casually switch sides. That doesn't mean 'join us or die', it just means people have their preference and people need to be respectful of it.

Okay, everything you said makes sense, I'm sorry. Still going to start my own corner though, hhmmmm Relic's Attic, nooo, Relic's Box, oh hell no, Relic's Delusions ..........................

Relic's Artefacts? Or Pink Relics? A nod to Pink Floyd's album and the fact that you're a girl. ????

Or Relic's Pink Artefacts.

• Reply 49 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ptram View Post

I could never stand Quicken and its clumsy user interface. Today, I use Jumsoft Money, and everything feels much more at home on the Mac. Not as powerful, but powerful enough to keep track of my accounts.

I used Jumsoft for several years and it was very good. But when they got rid of iCloud and relied solely on Dropbox, I switched to iCompta.