Editorial: Google, Microsoft claiming Apple's crown, albeit from 1994

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ascii wrote: »
    It's not just Microsoft and Google that have been stumbling, it's all of the (other) tech firms. None of them knew where to go next, only Steve Jobs knew.

MS knew the future was smartphones, and tablets. It was with the execution that they stumbled. Google also knew that mobile computing would greatly increase, and took steps to ensure that they wouldn't be left out of the loop by developing their own OS. Say what you may about Google, but they were smart enough to recognize genius when they saw the iPhone, and altered their game plan accordingly.
  • Reply 82 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Meh, I've been adding these editorials to my reading list so I can jump back to them when I want. Looking at some from a couple of years ago, they're junk tabloid reading meant to be near some type of bowl. In his defense, he did get me to read it. Which is what counts to the writer.

Congrats on owning a Jeep. I have the new TrailHawk myself. Amazing vehicles!

I've found the historical accuracy to be phenomenal, it's that aspect I find so enjoyable in his specials. There are so many that rewrite history, especially where Bill Gates and Apple are concerned. Or believe urban legends such as 'Gates saving Apple' when Steve came back. DED always gets it right.

Yep, a Jag XJS, a SAAB Turbo and the Jeep GC Limited are the best three vehicles I have ever owned and all for very different reasons. My wife is the one with the latest and fancy cars these days as she is a realtor so i do get to drive Mercs, Lexus, Audi, BMW etc. (she changed every two years or so) but they have never enticed me away from my Jeep ... If we go out together and I can choose either hers or mine, it's always the Jeep. I must be getting old! LOL
  • Reply 83 of 130
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    MS knew the future was smartphones, and tablets. It was with the execution that they stumbled. Google also knew that mobile computing would greatly increase, and took steps to ensure that they wouldn't be left out of the loop by developing their own OS. Say what you may about Google, but they were smart enough to recognize genius when they saw the iPhone, and altered their game plan accordingly.

It is easy to forget how complacent MS , Nokia, BB and the rest were and how they all sneered at Steve's new concept of a smart phone. IMHO they didn't recognize it at all. It took quite a while for the reality of Apple's total take over of the industry to sink in. Only Schmidt had an inside track and steered Google in the only direction possible, i.e. rip off Apple before it is too late. Microsoft should have stuck to their usual MO and done the same, not doing so was their deadly error. They had the belief they could do something original themselves ... and where they ever got that idea from considering they had never done that before, is beyond me.
  • Reply 84 of 130
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Such a different time when that video was made. No one has any anti-static clothing or gloves. Such a far cry from the way electronics are made today. 

• Reply 85 of 130
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    It is easy to forget how complacent MS , Nokia, BB and the rest were and how they all sneered at Steve's new concept of a smart phone. IMHO they didn't recognize it at all.

Publicly they might have been dismissive but it was panic stations internally. The day that the iPhone was announced, all existing road maps went out of the window.
  • Reply 86 of 130
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Great and well thought-out analysis. Too many people fail to see the cycles and patterns that play out throughout history. Just as often in business as in power politics.

• Reply 87 of 130
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    Fair. Well played.
  • Reply 88 of 130
    Tens of billions of US Dollars has gone into the development of Linux, on all fronts. It's lack of a unifying vision for the client-side has fractured the Linux Desktop into small factions. The server-side is well defined by the corporations who've spent the billions, and want their services tailor made.

Unfortunately, the FOSS model fails when it comes to a UX/UI solution as there are too many cooks to spoil the soup.

KDE is the clothes with a thousands pockets and thinking it's cool.

GNOME gets continuously mocked by KDE users, but woke up with GNOME 3.x and has been following its UX/UI paradigms as much as possible from OS X, while attempting some new ideas on their own.

Meanwhile, Windows can still take a giant dump in UX/UI for ten years and have drones raving about it is better than OS X [which proves they are mentally challenged].

Linux will never take over the markets. Windows will continue to erode its dominance and concede it to OS X and Apple. This Apple + IBM partnership will only accelerate the future.

Google will eventually reach the impasse that advertising and spying on its user base will have to evolve, but will lose out.

Good comments.

Honestly, I do not know how Linux guys hold up their heads.

First big lie to kill work stations: oh a PC is just like a Sun workstation, just as powerful.

Second lie: oh linux is just like unix on Solaris.

If my big accomplishment was saving HUGE corporations billions of dollars
    and helping to drive Sun to an early grave.
    My head would be hung down.

Shoot Apple did more with unix in 10 years
    Than Linux has ever done.

Unless you are counting colored fonts for different file types.
    Now there's innovation for you.
  • Reply 89 of 130
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I know, and it's new to me. I am appalled at many peoples writing styles, with plain and obvious errors, right in front of me. Can't understand why people don't bother to pay a little more attention. Though I'm not expecting proper English on a forum, but expect it amongst colleagues, emails, from family and such.

I'm sure I'm writing 'peoples' wrong here, I think I need to append an apostrophe there.

"Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit”

In this case, you would insert rather than append an apostrophe—people's

Because "people" is already plural, you wouldn't write peoples'.

But there's a reason apostrophes can drive people crazy. If you consider the backgrounds of the many and varied peoples who now speak and write in English, it's no suprise that you will find wide disparity in these different peoples' use of details like the apostrophe.
  • Reply 90 of 130
    To anyone who has been watching Google over the years, it is clear that these are basically a bunch of kids who are pursuing costly distractions, frittering away a lot of money on their bad case of ADD. Steve Jobs emphasized the need to stay focused. Google is not. They don't seem to appreciate that their stream of income has a narrow source, and is tenuous. It is likely that their party will eventually end, at which point they will wonder, "What happened??"
  • Reply 91 of 130
    Ah, a breath of fresh air. Someone who thinks as I do. Office is on it's way out. It's going out with the older generation. When I show people they can do the same things on their iPad, I'm amazed they didn't know it was there. Unfortunately the iPad version is underpowered compared to the Mac version.

I know Apple has their Genius bars, but if they could actually show people what the product they own can actually do it would really work wonders. They need to find a cost effective way to educate everyone on how to use their device.

Before someone chimes in, no, not everyone looks it up.

There isn't much to look up, if you have been in an Apple Store which has more than just a Genius Bar: http://www.apple.com/retail/learn/. Apple seems to already have several options in place for educating current and potential customers.
  • Reply 92 of 130
    richl wrote: »
    Publicly they might have been dismissive but it was panic stations internally. The day that the iPhone was announced, all existing road maps went out of the window.

I partially agree. It was panic in some places that understood such as Google, and they had a mole, but I don't think some, such as Blackberry had a clue was was about to happen to them. Microsoft I am not sure what went on other than the obvious lame antics such as the funeral of the iPhone and so on, which makes me thunk they didn't take it seriously.
  • Reply 93 of 130
    flaneur wrote: »
    In this case, you would insert rather than append an apostrophe—people's

Because "people" is already plural, you wouldn't write peoples'.

But there's a reason apostrophes can drive people crazy. If you consider the backgrounds of the many and varied peoples who now speak and write in English, it's no suprise that you will find wide disparity in these different peoples' use of details like the apostrophe.

Only sheeps follow such rules ... ;)
  • Reply 94 of 130
    frank pope wrote: »
    Good comments.

Honestly, I do not know how Linux guys hold up their heads.

First big lie to kill work stations: oh a PC is just like a Sun workstation, just as powerful.

Second lie: oh linux is just like unix on Solaris.

If my big accomplishment was saving HUGE corporations billions of dollars
    and helping to drive Sun to an early grave.
    My head would be hung down.

Shoot Apple did more with unix in 10 years
    Than Linux has ever done.

Unless you are counting colored fonts for different file types.
    Now there's innovation for you.

The only claim to fame that is warranted IMHO is the use on so many servers. For that, even as a Mac devotee, I am eternally grateful. Running remote server software with a GUI from a Mac on a Widows server was always a form of self torture. On any Linux server it was a pure joy.

I do understand the fun Linux Geeks have messing under the hood though.
  • Reply 95 of 130
    richl wrote: »
    I've worked in the smartphone industry for over 14 years. Every time I read something about the pre-iPhone smartphone industry written by DED, I find it riddled with factual inaccuracies. When I've pointed these inaccuracies out in the past, DED gets very defensive and has tried to argue that up is down or that red is blue. I've given up trying as it often takes a long time to dig up evidence to support what I'm saying.

So, if DED is knowingly writing bullshit about a subject area that I know a lot about then I'm going to assume that he does it every subject.

I confess I was specifically talking about his coverage of the Mac and its iterations, trials and tribulations and also the history of Apple, the company. I am not an expert on cell phones or there operating systems so can't comment one way or the other. On his Apple and Mac history he is very accurate in my opinion.

That said, your claim is your experience and knowledge makes you are right and DED wrong, something neither I nor anyone else, that doesn't know you, can assess. Just for an example; someone could have worked for Nokia and would have a certain slanted view compared to someone working at Apple. Even the politicians claim Apple damaged their economy in Finland, so views get heated and distorted . My views are equally biased as I have spent almost 40 years involved closely with Apple. All I can say is I find my memory of events during those years does gel very closely with DED's.
  • Reply 96 of 130
    fuzzypawsfuzzypaws Posts: 111member

I'm going to bookmark this article so I can refer to it in 5 years and see how things played out~

• Reply 97 of 130
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    It's only brats on this site that have to buy a new one just because a new one was released..

I'm still laughing! Touché!
  • Reply 98 of 130
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I've worked in the smartphone industry for over 14 years. Every time I read something about the pre-iPhone smartphone industry written by DED, I find it riddled with factual inaccuracies. When I've pointed these inaccuracies out in the past, DED gets very defensive and has tried to argue that up is down or that red is blue. I've given up trying as it often takes a long time to dig up evidence to support what I'm saying.

So, if DED is knowingly writing bullshit about a subject area that I know a lot about then I'm going to assume that he does it every subject.

It's nothing short of a cowardly character assassination to sit in the comments passing out accusations of copious "inaccuracies" without stating what any of these are, then represent a conversation where you stuff words into the authors mouth--without any specifics whatsoever--and complain how difficult this process is as the reason why you can't say anything other than what a terrible person in general the author is, because looking up the facts is so time consuming. Because you have so much else on your plate as you sit in AI comments for hours stabbing the author in the back while contributing very little at all.

Really hard to respect you. Especially when the "riddled errors" you like to complain about are simply your opinion as a Microsoft WiMo fan.

• Reply 99 of 130
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    flaneur wrote: »
    ...there's a reason apostrophes can drive people crazy...

aposter3.jpg
  • Reply 100 of 130
    Thanks for correction Corrections :)