Apple releases iTunes 12 beta with 'elegant new design,' Family Sharing

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2014
Alongside new beta versions of iOS 8, OS X Yosemite, and numerous development tools, Apple on Monday released a preview of iTunes 12 sporting what the company calls an "elegant new design" and support for the Family Sharing feature introduced at WWDC.

The new design echoes the flatter, more translucent cues of OS X Yosemite and features a number of more information-dense elements. The navigation bar, for instance, has been reorganized with individual buttons for Music, Movies, Television Shows, and Apps while hiding other less-used options behind a "more content" menu.

Also gone is the toggle to switch between the iTunes Store and the local library. Instead, users simply choose from a list of options -- the Apps section grants user the ability to choose "My iPhone Apps," "My iPad Apps," "List," "Updates," or "iTunes Store," for example.

Apple's Family Sharing program that allows up to six family members to share content from the iTunes Store, as long as each family member uses the same credit card. That feature is now available alongside improved playlist and a redesigned Get Info window.

While the application itself has been overhauled, the iTunes Store itself -- which is essentially a very interactive web app that runs inside iTunes -- has yet to be refreshed. Apple will likely hold such a change until iTunes 12 is ready for production.

Developers running a preview build of OS X Yosemite can download the iTunes 12 beta as an update in the Mac App Store. The application is not yet available for download from the Apple Developer Center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    That looks almost IDENTICAL to iTunes 11. Was hoping for more changes. Perhaps those will come later as this is a developer preview.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    shrinershriner Posts: 3member
    "Show Duplicate Items" is missing in this -- just like it was in the release of iTunes 11.0. Be sure to send feedback/file a bug if you use this feature!
  • Reply 3 of 58
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

That looks almost IDENTICAL to iTunes 11. Was hoping for more changes. Perhaps those will come later as this is a developer preview.

Somewhat similar, yes. Only now you no longer have an option to display the sidebar. Meh.

• Reply 4 of 58
    It's AWESOME becuase its Apple.

have you seen Android Music App?? CRAP
  • Reply 5 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    magman1979 wrote: »

I think this is very different from all previous versions of iTunes.

• Reply 6 of 58
    djames4242 wrote: »

Somewhat similar, yes. Only now you no longer have an option to display the sidebar. Meh.
    Uh oh, I can't live without that function! Hope it's just an alpha build omission!
  • Reply 7 of 58
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Uh oh, I can't live without that function! Hope it's just an alpha build omission!

I doubt it - you can "sort-of" get the old functionality back by displaying playlists and the column browser. That way you can still drag and drop tracks into and between playlists. But I don't see a way to display your devices in a sidebar the way you used to be able to.

• Reply 8 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    djames4242 wrote: »

There is a sidebar when you click on Playlist from the top-center menu. The real difference is that each of the segments (TV Shows, Movies, Music, etc.) have quasi-unique sidebars. Meaning, they show only the library items of iTunes menu icons you've chosen at the top-left, but they list all Playlists, even if they don't or can't contain any items of the Media Kind. If anything this seems like Apple is separating the various types of media which is what people have been asking for years when they say they want a different app for each type. They do it on iOS, save for Movies and TV Shows being in the same app.

• Reply 9 of 58
    solipsismx wrote: »

There is a sidebar when you click on Playlist from the top-center menu. The real difference is that each of the segments (TV Shows, Movies, Music, etc.) have quasi-unique sidebars. Meaning, they show only the library items of iTunes menu icons you've chosen at the top-left, but they list all Playlists, even if they don't or can't contain any items of the Media Kind. If anything this seems like Apple is separating the various types of media which is what people have been asking for years when they say they want a different app for each type. They do it on iOS, save for Movies and TV Shows being in the same app.

That's not looking too bad, but I think the design language of having just icons to represent different areas of your iTunes library and devices will confused a lot of people. I preferred the old drop-down, full title version, was more intuitive IMHO.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Removing the sidebar has caused so much confusion for my users. Our first step in helping them with iTunes-related issues is to have them turn the sidebar back on. I still don't understand the new layout (but I have sidebar on so I don't need to)
  • Reply 11 of 58
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    And yes, the iTunes icon is red.
    Welcome change from all that blue in the Dock.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Torrid Foster View Post

It's AWESOME becuase its Apple.

have you seen Android Music App?? CRAP

Yup.  Got a problem with that?

• Reply 13 of 58
    I’d like to see iOS app browsing and management extracted from iTunes on the Mac and moved to the standalone App Store app that's currently designated for Mac apps. Within that app, users could toggle between Mac, iPhone, iPad apps.

Feels like the Windows client is holding back Apple from anything innovative on the Mac client.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    iTunes update? There's going to be new iPods this fall.......
  • Reply 15 of 58
    I think it'll be far better if they move the icons to right side.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    I think it'll be far better if they move the icons to right side.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member
    iTunes is my least favorite Apple product. The interface perplexes me even for simple tasks. I find creating playlists and managing devices is very unApple like. There may not be better a app, but its still isn't good. Reminds me of Quickbooks.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It is installed along with the latest Yosemite update, no need to down load from the app store. Liking it so far.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Thank heaven they ditched that ridiculous library nav button. Going from a one click solution to a two click solution was never going to be a good idea.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Is there an option to manage my apps using the cloud rather than taking up hard drive space? Never understood why the physical apps have to be in my iTunes library taking up disk space when I can manage them in the cloud...