Former White House Press Secretary Carney still considering Apple PR role, Bloomberg says

Comments

• Reply 201 of 230
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I propose a single 6 year term. You get in you work your ass off and then you leave.

Single term = zero accountability. Not that there’s any now, but at least there’s an expectation of it now.

Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post

Are you trying to imply anything I posted above is "nonsense trolling"?

I said nothing of the sort, but methinks he doth protest too much.

Otherwise it's pathetic to limit members' opinions in politcal threads, the way Mac Rumors does. Yay for censoring possibly dissenting voices! 

No one’s opinion is being limited in political threads. Political threads are being limited to the political subforum.

• Reply 202 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Single term = zero accountability. Not that there’s any now, but at least there’s an expectation of it now.

That would mean there is no accountability in the 2nd term, and since the first term is meant to not rock the boat and has excessive time wasted on campaigning it's simply a bad design in this modern world of near instant communication.
  • Reply 203 of 230
    jessej wrote: »
    Are you trying to imply anything I posted above is "nonsense trolling"? I joined A.I. in 2003, when I bought the first flat screen iMac. I would be using my original account but I wasn't using the internet much for a couple years, years ago, and forgot what account name and email address I used to use. I might have 100+ comments with that account, I honestly don't remember. Perhaps I should try to figure it out, I know for certain it has more comments than this account does and if I used that to comment again it would put me past the >100 threshold faster. I think if a person just joined and is trolling political thread, sure. Otherwise it's pathetic to limit members' opinions in politcal threads, the way Mac Rumors does. Yay for censoring possibly dissenting voices!

To whom are you replying? The quote feature is great for making easy work of that for you.
  • Reply 204 of 230
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Not entirely. They want you to be silent if you you decide to question the word of God or talk about civil liberties. :D

I think that should be 'Gods' not 'God'. There are and have been so many after all and their followers always act the same way to those that are into 'their thing'.
  • Reply 205 of 230
    jessejjessej Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I said nothing of the sort, but methinks he doth protest too much.

No one’s opinion is being limited in political threads. Political threads are being limited to the political subforum.

Fair enough.

• Reply 206 of 230
    jessejjessej Posts: 29member
    Quote:

To whom are you replying? The quote feature is great for making easy work of that for you.

Tallest Skil.

• Reply 207 of 230
    Mr. Carney (similar to the carny at a circus) could not be trusted in his role with President Obama. Mr. cook should realize that Mr. Carney would not be believed in any role with Apple. Apple should use a respected and trusted spokesperson for PR.
  • Reply 208 of 230
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Are you trying to imply anything I posted above is "nonsense trolling"? I joined A.I. in 2003, when I bought the first flat screen iMac. I would be using my original account but I wasn't using the internet much for a couple years, years ago, and forgot what account name and email address I used to use. I might have 100+ comments with that account, I honestly don't remember. Perhaps I should try to figure it out, I know for certain it has more comments than this account does and if I used that to comment again it would put me past the >100 threshold faster. I think if a person just joined and is trolling political thread, sure. Otherwise it's pathetic to limit members' opinions in politcal threads, the way Mac Rumors does. Yay for censoring possibly dissenting voices!

I think they just do that to avoid political thread trolling through alternate accounts.

• Reply 209 of 230
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by globalpix View Post

Huge blunder for Apple if they go through with this.  Carney was caught lying multiple times about issues from the Veterans Administration, to Obamacare to Benghazi.  Can't believe Apple so stupi as to use him as a public face.  It would be their most self-destructive decision ever.

No, he really wasn't. Stating something that LATER turns out to be incomplete isn't close to the same as lying. Lying is Dick Cheney stating on national television "we" know where the chemical weapons factories are in Iraq, when NONE existed. Not knowing every detail about violence in a far off sovereign nation 72 hours after the attack is reality, not "lying".

Oh and the PR person is "the public face"?

I follow Apple medium close and I couldn't even tell you who the current PR person IS.Though I do seem to recall the position is filled by a woman at the moment and that's only because that was mentioned in one of the articles about her successor being looked for. So news about the news relations person as it were: NOT Apple....

He'd be begin chosen as much for the management experience of the White House Press office leadership as Press Secretary as well as his similar management experience leading the Times Washington Bureau: both large organizations, not his podium appearances.

• Reply 210 of 230
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They have to pass an executive litmus test, at least. He wouldn’t be an executive.

I rather think much of the problem with him is his congenital lying. 

Has there ever been even one presidential press secretary who hasn't lied constantly?   That's their job.    It doesn't matter if it was Pierre Salinger, Bill Moyers,  Ron Ziegler, Ari Fleischer, James Brady, George Stephanopoulos or whoever you want to name.   

His job at Apple (or with any such company) would be to develop positive relationships with the press, especially when Apple needs to counteract negative stories about them as they recently had to do in China. 

• Reply 211 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Has there ever been even one presidential press secretary who hasn't lied constantly?   That's their job.    It doesn't matter if it was Pierre Salinger, Bill Moyers,  Ron Ziegler, Ari Fleischer, James Brady, George Stephanopoulos or whoever you want to name.   

His job at Apple (or with any such company) would be to develop positive relationships with the press, especially when Apple needs to counteract negative stories about them as they recently had to do in China. 

They'll occasionally get lied to but their directly lying is probably very rare. You get caught at that as press spokesperson and you're done. Now the administration behind the press secretary may very well know more than they give to the secretary: but that's a separate issue. 

• Reply 212 of 230
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Obama's current approval rating is 42% (Gallup July 7-13).   It's 79% among Democrats, 36% among Independents and 9% among Republicans, so I think you'd have to agree that he does have strong approval ratings with his base (stronger than I would have thought).   Obama also does better with younger people:   49% approval from people 18-29, 46% 30-49, 38% 50-64 and 35% ages 65+.    But another thing you have to remember is that the far left is also unhappy with Obama for some of the reasons that you point out, so that hurts his numbers.   It doesn't mean that those people would vote Republican in the next elections.

I do disagree that Obama "protects and defends Bush...and all Iraq War architects..."     Obama got us out of there, for better or worse.   He's not going to prosecute the former administration, if that's what you're thinking.    That would rip the country apart far more than it already is, Congress would never go along anyway and it would set a precedent that would turn the U.S. into a third world country like Egypt.  

Congress' approval rating is only 15% (Gallup July 7-10).  I think people who still support Obama realize that he's been totally screwed by the House, which won't let him get anything done, which is why they cut him some slack.

Having said that, and as a supporter in general, Obama certainly has major faults - permitting spying on U.S. citizens being one of them.    IMO, he should have spent four more years in Congress before running for President, but I have a feeling that he never expected to win.

Thanks for this detailed post. I would add, having lived through 1963 and 1968, that it's entirely conceivable that Obama can't—as in he's under orders and not allowed to—criticize the previous administration, not interrupt the legacy intel and drone programs. It's a sentimental myth that the government we see is the one that has the real power. Don't take my word for it, just ask Jack and Bobby. Even Jello Biafra misses this basic historical implication.
  • Reply 213 of 230
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't care much for the UN or any casualties that they might suffer.
    You realise you're talking about people who died in bomb attacks for the crime of doing their job? Diplomats, office workers, normal people.

Nice. Real nice.
  • Reply 214 of 230
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

A plurality of voters think Barack Obama is the worst president since World War II

You do know what plurality means, don't you?

• Reply 215 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

His job at Apple (or with any such company) would be to develop positive relationships with the press, especially when Apple needs to counteract negative stories about them as they recently had to do in China

What negative stories?

• Reply 216 of 230

From a peoples of a country that the majority could't name the three branches of government (60%) or more than 2 of the Rights in the First Amendment (72%), to express such vitriol towards someone as displayed here, is asinine.

He's a liar? He didn't write policy. He didn't take something and emitted to his likes. He's the messenger.

If anything it's the media who thinks that it is their unalienable right to say anything, regardless. A media that historically when they get an answer they don't won't to hear, create their own. A media that tells us lies? Hell, it was a member of the media that led a hell of a lot of sheep to look and die for weapons of mass distruction. 

And who do your trust? Keep in mind that in virtually every study of such, members of the media are listed at the top of least trusted professionals along with the likes of lawyers and politicians.

• Reply 217 of 230
    onhka wrote: »

From a peoples of a country that the majority could't name the three branches of government (60%) or more than 2 of the Rights in the First Amendment (72%), to express such vitriol towards someone as displayed here, is asinine.

He's a liar? He didn't write policy. He didn't take something and emitted to his likes. He's the messenger.

If anything it's the media who thinks that it is their unalienable right to say anything, regardless. A media that historically when they get an answer they don't won't to hear, create their own. A media that tells us lies? Hell, it was a member of the media that led a hell of a lot of sheep to look and die for weapons of mass distruction. 

And who do your trust? Keep in mind that in virtually every study of such, members of the media are listed at the top of least trusted professionals along with the likes of lawyers and politicians.

1) Obama made claims he couldn't keep. Whether he tried to or not but was held off by the GOP has some relevance but the anus is ultimately on him since he didn't have to make the claims.

2) Even politicians can't remember three things at times… although Rick Perry isn't exactly a shining example for any demographic.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 218 of 230
    Quote:

1) Obama made claims he couldn't keep. Whether he tried to or not but was held off by the GOP has some relevance but the anus is ultimately on him since he didn't have to make the claims.

2) Even politicians can't remember three things at times… although Rick Perry isn't exactly a shining example for any demographic.

Which will be lovely for discussion when Brarack Obama is on the short list for an Apple leadership role. But this time around it's Jay Carney.

• Reply 219 of 230
    Quote:

1) How did Obama get involved here? But since you did, what claims did he make that he didn't have to? Are you saying that he should have asked the GOP first before making them?

It is interesting that the GOP got together just before his inauguration in 2008 and proclaimed that their objective was to make him a one-term president by making sure that nothing he did would get by. I would love to hear what was actually said. Color and all.

2) Yes there is. Best said by Mark Twain: 

Quote:

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." –Mark Twain

• Reply 220 of 230
    onhka wrote: »
    1) How did Obama get involved here?

There are 6 pages of comments about Obama.