Intel rolls out faster Haswell CPUs possibly bound for MacBook Pro refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2014
Intel on Sunday released a batch of new Core i5 and Core i7 Haswell processors for high-end laptops like Apple's MacBook Pro, each boasting the usual speed bumps when compared to prior versions.

Source: CPU World

The new chip lineup includes three Core i5 and four Core i7 CPUs ranging in clock speed from 2.2GHz to 3.0GHz, reports CPU World. Apple usually launches spec-bumped MacBook Pros twice a year and the latest Intel processors are prime candidates for the next update.

Starting with the top-tier 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, Apple's current late-2013 models feature Intel's powerful quad-core "HQ" chips, including the 2.0GHz Core i7-4750HQ, 2.3GHz Core i7-4850HQ and 2.6GHz Core i7-4960HQ. Existing processors are expected to get a 200MHz boost across the board with the replacement 2.2GHz Core i7-4770HQ, 2.5GHz Core i7-4870HQ and 2.8GHz Core i7-4980HQ chips, respectively.

As for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, current models sport dual-core CPUs with the 2.4GHz Core i5-4258U, 2.6GHz Core i5-4288U and 2.8GHz Core i7-4558U, which are also likely to gain 200MHz bumps with 2.6GHz Core i5-4278U, 2.8GHz Core i5-4308U and 3.0GHz Core i7-4578U silicon.

All "HQ" chips come with 6MB of L3 cache and support up to 8 threads, while the "U" series comes with 3MB for all models except for the 4MB on the 3.0GHz Core i7.

Apple most recently refreshed its MacBook Air products in April, bringing speed-bumped Intel CPUs to the thin-and-light laptop lineup. The launch also came with a price cut that brought sub-$1,000 configurations for both the 11-inch and 13-inch models. In fact, the base-level 11-inch version sells for $899, making it the most affordable Apple notebook ever.

It is unclear when the more powerful, and more expensive, MacBook Pro with Retina display models will benefit from Intel's latest CPUs, though noted KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has forecasts an upgrade sometime before the close of the third quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Nice! Well except for the silence about a Mac Mini update!
  • Reply 2 of 71
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Hmmm.  Speed bumps are better than a poke with a sharp stick, still, it makes one start wondering if we'll see any Broadwell Macs (or any Broadwell machines from any PC maker) this year....

....and in particular, likely no MBA with retina....

• Reply 3 of 71
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

I'd also like to see some significant updates to the iMac line. Something more than a bottom end version. If Apple isn't going to do that, then I'd like to see an update or replacement for a good non-4K monitor for the Mac Pro. Laptops are fine but I don't need to be portable for the work I do.

• Reply 4 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And there we go. All questions about a Haswell clock bump are answered. Apple will release this at some point in the fall, probably before September, and ride them through to Broadwell.

• Reply 5 of 71

For what it's worth, we're absolutely in love with the 34UMP 4k TB2 monitor from LG.  

• Reply 6 of 71
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'd like to see more than just a processor update. At this point, I'd like to see a complete design change. Perhaps, maybe this will be something they surprise us with this fall. 

I would almost think they'd put something like the low voltage Core i5 like whats used in the MacBook Air, and the $1099 iMac. Then they could make a smaller package, with a smaller built-in power supply. 

• Reply 8 of 71
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes.

Apple, I will give you some of my actual money if you update the mini line.(Or at least show some signs, and after college stops being such a downer.)

• Reply 9 of 71

Sorry :)  I was replying to Rob53 when he said 

'If Apple isn't going to do that, then I'd like to see an update or replacement for a good non-4K monitor for the Mac Pro. Laptops are fine but I don't need to be portable for the work I do.'

• Reply 10 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    For what it's worth, we're absolutely in love with the 34UMP 4k TB2 monitor from LG.
    [image]

I love that aspect ratio (2.39 based on the resolution, not 2.33) and at 34" it's only means the display height is only 0.1" shorter than the current 27" 16:9 displays Apple offers, but it's not 4K UHD. It's about 60% of the pixels found in a 16:9 4K UHD display.
  • Reply 11 of 71

Did somebody just post an ad for a monitor?

Could be considered spam...

• Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:

LOL - no.  I was just responding to Rob53's comment earlier about monitors.  Granted, he wanted a non 4k one.  I was just sharing the 4k one we got.  I think it's quasi relevant to his post, but not the thread in general.

Sheesh - I've rarely posted here in the past.  Didn't realize I'd be grilled so hard!   :wow:  

• Reply 13 of 71
    I was just sharing the 4k one we got.

Why do you think the LG 34UMP is 4K?
  • Reply 14 of 71
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

LOL - no.  I was just responding to Rob53's comment earlier about monitors.  Granted, he wanted a non 4k one.  I was just sharing the 4k one we got.  I think it's quasi relevant to his post, but not the thread in general.

Sheesh - I've rarely posted here in the past.  Didn't realize I'd be grilled so hard!   :wow:   

We're a touchy bunch around here. You'll get used to it.... :D
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why do you think the LG 34UMP is 4K?

• OH, well, actually it's 3440x1440, but it's about as close to 4k as we can get at 60Hz.  I'm scared to say anything else good about it :).  

• Reply 16 of 71
    OH, well, actually it's 3440x1440, but it's about as close to 4k as we can get at 60Hz.  I'm scared to say anything else good about it :).

It's a great display so there is no need to make artificial claims about the specs.

PS: Going to Preferences and then change to BB Code Editor will prevent you having those weird formatting issues.

• Reply 17 of 71
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

....and in particular, likely no MBA with retina....

A jump to Retina display in the MBA line likely requires a new silicon architecture to offset the higher power consumption of the high-res display.

The refreshed Haswells do not appear to be a candidate CPU architecture for a transition to higher-resolution display for this reason. The onboard Intel graphic are capable of driving a Retina-resolution display; clearly this is an issue with the current display technology itself drawing too much power from vis-a-vis what the CPU itself needs.

• Reply 18 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And there we go. All questions about a Haswell clock bump are answered. Apple will release this at some point in the fall, probably before September, and ride them through to Broadwell.

Watever. No desktop CPUs. iMac is what I am looking for. I need several at this point. I looked at the new low end but decided against that and want a few 27' models. I'm replacing some 20" older Lion machines but I want another 7+ years out of whatever I buy.

• Reply 19 of 71
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    I wonder what macs that apple is running in their lab with A7/8/9 based chips. It's quite conceivable that they are already doing this in an effort to hedge their bets.

Onviously the issue would be software and graphics chip compatibility but they might be able to conceivably go fanless on macbooks and there is a fair amount of ios software already.

This is the last major step along with metal and swift that they need to make. I dont mind if intel makes the chips for them but the A series is quite stable.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    macxpress wrote: »
    I'd like to see more than just a processor update. At this point, I'd like to see a complete design change. Perhaps, maybe this will be something they surprise us with this fall. 
    Design change might be interesting.
    I would almost think they'd put something like the low voltage Core i5 like whats used in the MacBook Air, and the $1099 iMac. Then they could make a smaller package, with a smaller built-in power supply. 

However let's have none of this regressive thinking. The Mini needs to be faster with far better GPU performance. If anything the Mini needs to support a higher wattage processors.