New Apple ad shows off sticker-clad MacBook Airs, calls it 'the notebook people love'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2014
Apple on Monday published a short 30-second commercial featuring a number of MacBook Airs dressed up in stickers and decals, with each customized thin-and-light reflecting the personality of its owner.

The spot, aptly titled "Stickers," can be considered a product video as it puts the MacBook Air center stage, but it is also very "human" in that each owner is somehow present through the artwork they applied to the machines.

While Apple is usually careful to show only pristine new devices for these sterilized "all-white background" shoots, a few of the Airs in today's ad clearly show scuffs and dents, further translating that the laptops are indeed well loved. The small touch adds a much needed human element often missing from commercials touting specs, design or battery life.

As seen in the video above, a variety of art styles, pop-culture icons and designs are represented across the front covers of multiple MacBook Airs, including Homer Simpson, Walter White from Breaking Bad, Snow White, 8-bit game characters, brands and more. One Air even has a Beats logo stuck on its front.

Each laptop is framed in the exact same spot as the previous, which lends lends a stop motion feel to the short. In fact, a batch of shots near the end of the clip show an impromptu game of Space Invaders being played out in stop motion on the Air's aluminum cover.

Apple wraps the video with a few Airs sporting stickers of hands flashing the heart sign around the LED-backlit logo, ending with tagline, "The notebook people love."

A departure from the company's most recent iPhone and iPad commercials, the new MacBook Air ad is a refreshing and creative change of pace.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Fantastic.  minimalist 

• Reply 2 of 87

Nice ad. Although it might make more of an impact if they started bashing Samesung for thing their laptops lack or can't supposedly do... /s

• Reply 3 of 87
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Nice ad. Although it might make more of an impact if they started bashing Samesung for thing their laptops lack or can't supposedly do... /s

Naw, only the losing companies need to even mention their competitors; the winners products stand on their own.
  • Reply 4 of 87
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Y'know, that flash of the rainbow logo at the very end was an interesting choice in and of itself.  Anyone think there might be more to it than mere retro whimsy?

Misses the old logo...

• Reply 5 of 87
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    Y'know, that flash of the rainbow logo at the very end was an interesting choice in and of itself.  Anyone think there might be more to it than mere retro whimsy?

[SIZE=9px]Misses the old logo...[/SIZE]
    Thinking colors are back in?
  • Reply 6 of 87

Something the copyists can never copy: classy ads.

• Reply 7 of 87

Also cool.

• Reply 7 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Misses the old logo...

Well, I didn't until you mentioned it, but yeah, that's actually a great take on it.

(love my rainbow Apple stickers )

• Reply 9 of 87
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

That's one of the best Apple ads I've seen in a while.

• Reply 10 of 87
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Naw, only the losing companies need to even mention their competitors; the winners products stand on their own.

Would that also apply to the times where Tim Cook has went out of his way to badmouth Android?  And how many times has Google badmouthed iOS and/or iPhones?  ;)

• Reply 11 of 87
    Edgy. Excellent.

A bit too dense, however.... maybe it's my age, but I thought I was going to get vertigo....
  • Reply 12 of 87

Funny thing about that commercial : MacBook sticker sales are (now) about to have a banner year.

http://tinyurl.com/pr5frkj

• Reply 13 of 87
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Wow, this is a decidedly different style. Never thought Apple would promote decals on its products. I like it though, shows that they have no problem experimenting with new ad styles and directions. 

• Reply 14 of 87
    malomalo Posts: 19member
    I Love Apple but they appear to be struggling with advertising- this seems out of sync, the last 5 commercials are jumping around, and lacking coherent vision. Where's the stamping overarching message and brand impact?

Apple is better than this, I expect better!!!
  • Reply 15 of 87
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Would that also apply to the times where Tim Cook has went out of his way to badmouth Android?  And how many times has Google badmouthed iOS and/or iPhones?  ;)

Name one COMMERCIAL where Apple badmouthed Android.  Private, paid developer conferences do not apply.

Nice try.

• Reply 16 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, this is a decidedly different style. Never thought Apple would promote decals on its products. I like it though, shows that they have no problem experimenting with new ad styles and directions. 

Yeah, it's actually got some "kick-ass" to it.

I was just watched all of the old "iPod silhouette " commercials the other day, and was thinking; they really need something with a little bit of "kick-ass" to it again. This is good film.

• Reply 17 of 87
    ... and the music is the song "Chimes" by Hudson Mohawke.
  • Reply 18 of 87
    slurpy wrote: »

Well, they aren't like the raft of stickers found on a brand new Windoz laptops. "Intel Inside" anyone??

As far as "experimenting with new ad styles and directions," Apple has always surprised me with their advertising. The "verse" series of ads were gone before they got stale, even the long-running "Get a Mac" ads were fresh each time. But, Apple of late, seems even less prone to themes as in the past. It's gotta drive the competition nuts!
  • Reply 19 of 87
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Hope there's no copyright issues!
  • Reply 20 of 87
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malo View Post

I Love Apple but they appear to be struggling with advertising- this seems out of sync, the last 5 commercials are jumping around, and lacking coherent vision. Where's the stamping overarching message and brand impact?

Apple is better than this, I expect better!!!

Ha!  You'd have a great criticism if it were the 1960s.

But I guess you'll have to go back to commercial film school in this century.