Netflix quietly updates Apple TV channel with 'Post-Play' feature for TV shows

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2014
Television fans can now binge on their favorite shows more efficiently as streaming movie behemoth Netflix has brought its popular "Post-Play" feature, which automatically plays the next episode of a television series after a short delay, to the Apple TV.

A popular feature in the company's web client and iPad app, Post-Play has been sorely missed on Apple's set-top streamer and the change will be welcomed by heavy Netflix users. AppleInsider was first tipped to the change by reader Richard.

Post-Play gives users a brief countdown -- generally 10 seconds -- once a television show's credits start rolling, then automatically plays the next episode of the series. On the Apple TV, the currently-playing episode is shrunk and moved to the side, with the next episode queued up to the right.

Users have the option to wait for the timer to run out, play the next episode immediately, or return to the episode listing for that series. Post-Play can also be disabled completely by visiting the Account section of the Netflix website.

Though AppleInsider was able to independently confirm Post-Play's appearance on multiple Apple TV units, it is possible that the feature is not ready for primetime as Netflix has yet to update its Post-Play compatibility listing. Netflix, like Facebook, is famous for rolling out small tests to its user base.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Freaking awesome!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    The PS3 also skips the beginning theme of shows which I also like. Hope Apple TV gets that option as well.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Whilst convenient it has led me to watch more episodes than I intended to.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Whilst convenient it has led me to watch more episodes than I intended to.

My wife almost watched every episode of Orange is Black, or whatever the show is called, on a iPad because of this I am sure! :D
  • Reply 5 of 21
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ny3ranger wrote: »
    The PS3 also skips the beginning theme of shows which I also like. Hope Apple TV gets that option as well.
    Hell to the yes! If I have to watch that 2 minute opener to Game Of Thrones one more time I will be most vexed.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    My wife almost watched every episode of Orange is Black, or whatever the show is called, on a iPad because of this I am sure! :D

'Orange is the new Black' is a pretty good show. Netflix releases the entire season all at once, so it's easy to watch episode after episode.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I wonder if binge-watching and app engagement has caused a decline in health across the entire population. Maybe it actually increased health for some surprising reason. However, according to Apple it is trying to balance out the negative health effects from these activities with more health-friendly products.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    creepcreep Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

I wonder if binge-watching and app engagement has caused a decline in health across the entire population. Maybe it actually increased health for some surprising reason. However, according to Apple it is trying to balance out the negative health effects from these activities with more health-friendly products.

Looks like health improvement via binge watching is not likely...

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/binge-watching-tv-may-harm-health/

• Reply 9 of 21
    I love that your screenshot has an episode preview screen of The West Wing. Favorite show ever!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Hell to the yes! If I have to watch that 2 minute opener to Game Of Thrones one more time I will be most vexed.

While it is annoying, the opener also changes quite frequently. Maybe you don't care, but once new places are introduced on the show, they appear on the credits map. I used to skip every time until I found that out.

• Reply 11 of 21
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    I wish you could see a preview of a movie like on iTunes.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

I wonder if binge-watching and app engagement has caused a decline in health across the entire population.

Television has caused a decline in health across the entire population.

• Reply 13 of 21
    Now we just need HBO GO to do this! PLEASE
  • Reply 14 of 21
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    [quote]Post-Play can also be disabled completely by visiting the Account section of the Netflix website. [/quote]

Thank goodness. To me, this is the most useless feature I've ever encountered. I'm surprised to see so many comments showing excitement for this feature - but hey - whatever floats your boat I guess.

In any case, the original implementation of this feature on the iPad and iPhone apps caused me no end of frustration. It was impossible to disable, and I mostly watched TV episodes in bed to help me fall asleep. Often I was asleep before the first episode ended, yet the app insisted on playing the next 2 or 3 episodes automatically. This cost me money since my cable provider does not offer an unlimited plan and the needless streaming/playing of 2-3 hours of extra content every night pushed me over my limit regularly. It also made it difficult to keep track of what episode I really was supposed to be watching next since it was impossible to tell how many episodes I had missed while sleeping.

If some people like this feature, I have no problem whatsoever with Netflix offering it - but it was ridiculously stupid of them to assume that *everybody* would want it *all the time* and not provide a way to turn it off. Personally, I'm more than okay with picking up the remote and pressing play if I want to watch the next episode. I think this "feature" ended up costing me about $240 in overage fees over the 4 months I couldn't turn it off (before I finally switched to watching Hulu+ before bed instead of NetFlix.)
  • Reply 15 of 21
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    tenly wrote: »
    Thank goodness. To me, this is the most useless feature I've ever encountered. I'm surprised to see so many comments showing excitement for this feature - but hey - whatever floats your boat I guess.

[...]

If some people like this feature, I have no problem whatsoever with Netflix offering it - but it was ridiculously stupid of them to assume that *everybody* would want it *all the time* and not provide a way to turn it off. Personally, I'm more than okay with picking up the remote and pressing play if I want to watch the next episode.[...]

Totally agree. Thanks for highlighting how to shut it off.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Does Apple do this for TV shows bought through iTunes?

• Reply 17 of 21
    The feature surprised me last night but it kicked in 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds before the end of an episode and I could not stop it from starting the next episode. Took about 5 minutes to get back to where I was in the episode I was watching.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I noticed the feature last night, before I saw this article, and then tonight it is no longer there. Anyone else have it disappear?
  • Reply 19 of 21

I guess watching nothing would be the best for your health. But then, it wouldn't be good for Apple's welfare. Not only would they lose income from tv shows, but they would also not be able to sell us a fitness-oriented iTime, as you would be too fit to need it.
  • Reply 20 of 21

I am glad there is a way to turn this off. It is too hard, with the little button on the Apple TV remote, to stop the next episode before it starts. It's a nuisance — at least to me.