Apple denies installing iOS 'backdoor' services for government agencies

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member

You know, I never wanted to really believe any of this was possible or tolerated. But, after watching PBS’s “Frontline: The United States of Secrets”, I feel that nothing is considered off limits by our government or the companies that are in bed with it. Apple joined that fold in 2012 (after Jobs died).

• Reply 22 of 27
    Right....wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

X-file.  Gov't NSA conspiracy in action.  Use only fake info on your phone and download the app that can send fake location info to protect your whereabouts.  The big brother is watching you -->

• Reply 24 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Sounds fairly similar to the accusations often levied against anyone posting anything not in favour of Apple that they're a paid up Google or Samsung shill.

Funny how it’s only ever levied by the anti-Apple people after having been disproven in their claims, huh. Almost makes it seem a completely fabricated belief repeated as fact.

• Reply 25 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

What?  That's not even slightly true.  I'm not sure I've ever seen any "anti-Apple" people on this forum call anyone else a shill.  If they have then I'm very sure that they're the minority case using that word.

• Reply 26 of 27
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Why would Apple need to make a backdoor for the government?  Why would the government need their own entrance to go digging when all the data is handed to them already?  Apple already shares their users' info with them (as well as Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc.).

People have been looking for something since the Snowden documents leaked and it became apparant iOS and Android devices were easy access for the NSA:

http://www.iclarified.com/37195/the-nsa-has-a-backdoor-called-dropoutjeep-for-nearly-complete-access-to-the-apple-iphone

Presumably, with what Microsoft was doing (coding NSA access into Skype, pre-encryption access to Outlook.com and Hotmail.com...) WP is wide open as well.  According the docs, which are years old, Blackberry was the only smartphone OS that required serious work by the NSA to get into.