Apple's iPad reaches 78% North American tablet share as Amazon's Kindle Fire passes Samsung, Google

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2014
iPad is making gains in North American tablet web usage, reaching an 78 percent share in Apple's "first quarter-over-quarter usage share gain since June 2013," notes a new report by Chitika.

Chitika iPad June 2014

Chitika Insights published its latest figures on tablet web traffic for the U.S. and Canada, noting that Amazon's Kindle Fire, albeit with just one tenth the share of iPad, has moved into second place ahead of Samsung and Google, both of whom are selling 'pure Android' tablets.

"Since April 2014, the share of tablet Web traffic generated by North American Apple iPad and Kindle Fire users has increased by 0.8 and 1.2 percentage points, respectively," the firm stated.

"These represent the two largest quarter-over-quarter increases for any tablet brand, while Samsung's user base exhibited the largest share loss over the same timeframe, dropping two full percentage points."

Chitika cited sales of iOS devices in Costco (which resumed for the first time in June after more than a year) and new educational discounts across Apple's iPad lineup as "at least partially responsible" for driving Apple's gains.

Apple's iPad share is only down slightly from peak figures from last year, despite relentless discounting by competitors and frequent promotions that give tablets away. No other tablet maker is reporting profits of any kind from the sale of its tablets.

iPad year over year tablet share change

At the same time, Apple has improved upon its 76.1 percent holiday season tablet share reported by Chitika in January.

Apple recently announced a partnership with IBM to develop original and exclusive new iOS apps that IBM will use to drive iPhone and iPad sales to its enterprise customers, in a bid to further cement Apple's lead among business and government users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Gatorguy will be posting links showing how Google planned all this any moment ... :D
  • Reply 2 of 38

I'll believe this when Amazon puts out actual data. I'll even take 'shipments.'

Until then, it's all speculation.

• Reply 3 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'm surprised the chart is to scale. Normally these charts skew the lower bars to make it seem like they are closer to the iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I love AppleInsider, but stop with the misleading headlines. Apple lost 5.6% points of share vs. last year. Their share did not grow

That said, 78% is very impressive
  • Reply 5 of 38

this is not 'share'  as in marketshare (sales)

This is web usage.  

This is saying what has been said all along:  If you are a heavy mobile internet user, the iPad is the top choice.   Amazon moving into 2nd isn't surprizing given the cost/benefit of the Amazon offerings.  Samsung... theirs are being bought and then put in the drawer, and either your laptop is still being used, or you're buying apple or amazon.

All in all, this is what I would expect... repeating:  Amazon is Apple's biggest endgame competitor, not samsung or google.

• Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

This is web usage.  

Of course it is web usage. But Chitika themselves start to use this data to draw inferences about sales shares.... read the whole article.

• Reply 7 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

This is web usage.  

This is saying what has been said all along:  If you are a heavy mobile internet user, the iPad is the top choice.   Amazon moving into 2nd isn't surprizing given the cost/benefit of the Amazon offerings.  Samsung... theirs are being bought and then put in the drawer, and either your laptop is still being used, or you're buying apple or amazon.

All in all, this is what I would expect... repeating:  Amazon is Apple's biggest endgame competitor, not samsung or google.

That was pointed out in the very first sentence of the article's text:

"iPad is making gains in North American tablet web usage"

• Reply 8 of 38
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Can't possibly be right since they have Nook usage up. Seriously, the Nook is in its death throes.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course it is web usage. But Chitika themselves start to use this data to draw inferences about sales shares.... read the whole article.

Actually they inverted that relationship:

"Chitika cited sales of iOS devices in Costco (which resumed for the first time in June after more than a year) and new educational discounts across Apple's iPad lineup as "at least partially responsible" for driving Apple's gains." Gains in web usage. Looking at sales as a driver of usage increases: which I agree seems weak, sales that don't increase lead to usage that does? Some hidden inference that the Costco sales and new educational discounts are putting iPads in the hands of heavy users perhaps? If so it would be better stated explicitly.

• Reply 10 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

The iPad being the the highest-priced tablet, has the most Internet usage.

The Kindle-fire, being the tablet that has to be sold at a loss to this day to make a dent, beat another tablet that Samsung says sells well, only to be proven in court that they were lying all along.

Hmmm....

• Reply 11 of 38
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

read both articles... no where did they state

- absolute usage comparisons (ad impressions per page, total web usage, usage by platform, usage per platform unit)

For all I know, one iPad is stuck in a query loop to a chitaka monitored site and is driving up the stats.

Bottom line, there is not hard anchor to this.   10's of millions could be 11million or eleventy-million-milion.

and it all could be gizmodo.com ads.  or amazon.com.   impressions could be DOWN quarter over quarter, indicating a general market decline.

(I don't believe this but it could be true)... or  a migration away from web ads to apps with no ads (or ads chitaka can't monitor).   Hard saying, because their analytics aren't exposed.

reading the article the only reference to 'sales'  is:

'Chitika cited sales of iOS devices in Costco (which resumed for the first time in June after more than a year) and new educational discounts across Apple's iPad lineup as "at least partially responsible" for driving Apple's gains.'

Yet article's net net: Apple lost share year over year (since they don't show absolutes).  

the Gain is from Christmas season, but it's relative (internet usage can be down, and apple having a higher percentage of that lower number).   What part of the article should I believe, because their 'inferences' are not logical?

Bottom line... no hard numbers, all relative to something not important.   Cannot be linked to sales.  period.

• Reply 12 of 38
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

That was pointed out in the very first sentence of the article's text:

"iPad is making gains in North American tablet web usage"

relative to total tablet web usage.

Which could have dropped dramatically compared to laptop web usage.

All soft numbers.    78% of 20 is not a very big number compared to 76% of 20,000,000,000.

Which gets to the bottom line point...  Chitaka is getting paid to advise people on how to advertise where.... their market is 'ad impressions sales' not tablet sales.

I can't wait for AdBlock Plus for iOS;-)

• Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

The only thing that even remotely tempts me to jailbreak. I'd love to see this made officially available for iOS.

• Reply 14 of 38
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

This is too fuzzy to be useful as a metric.

The only possible conclusion to be drawn, if you are making tablets is, stay away from pure Android.  Fork Android or invent your own OS.  Build your own store and ecosystem.  Build your own brand, don't be building Android brand, otherwise you're just working for Google.

• Reply 15 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    512ke wrote: »
    This is too fuzzy to be useful as a metric.

The only possible conclusion to be drawn, if you are making tablets is, stay away from pure Android.  Fork Android or invent your own OS.  Build your own store and ecosystem.  Build your own brand, don't be building Android brand, otherwise you're just working for Google.
    I'm still waiting for the news that Google is moving away from Android as DED previously speculated. ;)
  • Reply 16 of 38
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    In other news, analysts agree Apple is doomed.

/snark
  • Reply 17 of 38
    One would think "pure Android" refers to AOSP, and not the mix of open and closed source applications that Google currently ships under the Android brand.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

There are several third-party iOS web browsers that have built-in ad blocking. Sure, they don't provide the same convenience as would iOS Safari with a seamlessly integrated ad blocking extension, however they are reasonable alternatives if one is planning to spend some dedicated time web browsing on an iOS device.

The two ad-blocking iOS browsers I'm most familiar with are Atomic Web Browser and Ghostery.

• Reply 19 of 38
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

I'll believe this when Amazon puts out actual data. I'll even take 'shipments.'

Until then, it's all speculation.

This is based on webusage, there is no "speculation" about it...

That being said, you are right this stats has no relation what so ever regarding sales. It only tell us Apple customers love there tablets.

• Reply 20 of 38
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Image if you remove Apple data from the comparison, and all the other tablets would be neck and neck with each other. It would be your typical PC market place all over again.