Apple issues MacBook Air EFI update to address wake from sleep problems on mid-2011 models

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2014
Apple on Monday posted an EFI update for its thin-and-light MacBook Air, addressing two wake from sleep issues including a rare problem that causes the computer's fans to spin at full speed unnecessarily.

MacBook Air

Apple's MacBook Air EFI firmware update 2.9 targets problems seen on mid-2011 models running OS X 10.9.2 and later.

The release notes say EFI version 2.9 fixes an issue that causes some systems to take longer than expected to wake from sleep. Also addressed is a rare issue that could cause system cooling fans to run at full speed after waking from sleep.

Apple notes the update should only be installed over EFI versions 0077.00, 0077.08, 0077.0E and 0077.0F on OS X 10.9.2 or higher.

The latest MacBook Air EFI update version 2.9 comes in at 4.3MB and can be downloaded via Apple's Support webpage or Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

That's nice to know Apple still supports my 2011 MBA.  That's what buying Apple gets you.  Name another PC manufacturer that supports 3-year old machines like that.  

• Reply 2 of 9
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That's nice to know Apple still supports my 2011 MBA.  That's what buying Apple gets you.  Name another PC manufacturer that supports 3-year old machines like that.  

Well, really they are supporting Mavericks here, I'd say.

• Reply 3 of 9

So Apple finally decided to get around to fixing a problem that is over three years old? I wouldn't consider that great customer support.

• Reply 4 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

So Apple finally decided to get around to fixing a problem that is over three years old? I wouldn't consider that great customer support.

No, try again. You can do better.

• Reply 5 of 9
    landnsealandnsea Posts: 17member

Oddly, I have installed the EFI update three times and it continues to reappear in my App Store list of updates to be installed.

• Reply 6 of 9

Hello,

I am having the same problem as you. Could you kindly tell me if you have solved and how.

Thank you in advance.

• Reply 7 of 9
    tom7tom7 Posts: 1member
    They are talking about this Firmware update on Apple's support forums.

If the update is reappearing for you to update again, you are one of the lucky ones. The firmware update just turned my son's (and other people's) Macbook Air into a brick.

The tech press needs to be reporting this.

Remember when everyone used to say that they went Apple because "It just works?" Notice how no one says that anymore?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/26339429?ac_cid=tw123456
  • Reply 8 of 9

Same here.  What gives?  how do we know if it actually installed?

• Reply 9 of 9
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Same here, landnsea. Actually, it never installs when restarting. Thought it might be FileVault interfering but disabling it didn't help. Left it as-is for now.