Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2014
With record iPhone sales in Apple's June quarter, the largest growth actually came from the company's mid-range handset lineup, which is represented this year by the colorful iPhone 5c.

iPhone 5c

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed on Tuesday that year-over-year growth rates comparing the iPhone 5c to last year's performance of the iPhone 4S show the greatest growth. That means that the share gains seen by the iPhone 5c outpaced those of the 2014 iPhone 5s vs. 2013 iPhone 5, and also bested the 2014 low-end iPhone 4s vs. 2013 iPhone 4.

Cook characterized himself as extremely happy with the performance of the iPhone 5c, which starts at $99 with a new two-year service contract. It comes in a plastic back available in a range of colors, but lacks the A7 processor and Touch ID fingerprint sensor found on the flagship iPhone 5s.

Though Cook didn't offer specifics as to how sales of each available iPhone model broke down over the June quarter, the comments seem to suggest that the iPhone 5c's share of total handset sales for Apple have been improving since the mid-range smartphone launched last year. For example, early this year Cook said that iPhone 5c sales up to that point represented a lower share of overall sales than the company had expected.

There's also evidence that the iPhone 5c may be playing an important role in attracting Android users to switch platforms. And while critics have been quick to attempt to position the iPhone 5c as a "failure," data suggests that the device has been outselling flagship Android devices, as well as every BlackBerry and Windows Phone device.

Apple on Tuesday reported total iPhone shipments of 35.2 million in the just-concluded June quarter, representing 12.7 percent year over year growth and setting a new quarterly record, but still coming in on the low end of Wall Street expectations. Exact sales of the iPhone 5c are unknown, as Apple declines to break down statistics on individual models for competitive reasons.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    toukaletoukale Posts: 38member

I thought all the media, the analysts and all the haters said the 5c was a flop. It's easy to see what they were doing to spin the story regarding the 5c. The 5c replaced the 4s, so it should have been compared to how the 4s was doing, but no, that would be too logical and there is no story there.  So instead, they decided to compare it to the 5S to try to spin it as a negative.  I expect to see the same headlines regarding iphone supply cut. You can see them already setting the stage for it with yesterday/today's headlines.  "Apple ordered 70-80 million iphone 6", by January, the headlines will be "iPhone 6 not selling well, Apple cut their iphone 6 orders, Apple is doomed."

• Reply 2 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I'll gladly volunteer to do the obligatory "But..but..but... the iHating anti-5c trolls said it was supposed to be a complete flop!"
  • Reply 3 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Does this feed into the other reports of some saturation at the high-end?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    On the other hand I don't see that many people use the polka dot iPhone case
  • Reply 5 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If there is any saturation on the "high-end", it will probably be from consumers deciding the 5c was at that right price-point to get an Apple phone, as opposed to buying that Samsung crap.

• Reply 6 of 47

I got my GF the blue one.

Her toes are currently the same color!

Chics! :)

Best.

• Reply 7 of 47
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I got my GF the blue one.

Her toes are currently the same color!

Chics! :)

Best.

Is your GF a smurf? :-)

• Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Is your GF a smurf? :-)

Funny! :) She just likes "everything" to match! :)

I appreciate her attention to detail. ;)

Best.

• Reply 9 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Wouldn't high end = early adopters? So 5C is more of a long tail product. Plus I think there were price reductions/promotions in certain markets.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Honestly, if they come out with a 6C I would get it. I love the color, and the feel of the 5C in the hand is just amazing. It curves to fit just right.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Some people never fail to find a tarnished lining in every silver cloud.  =)

• Reply 12 of 47
    "Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market"

Who would have thought otherwise? oh wait, the financial geniuses of Wall Street. what?
  • Reply 13 of 47
    reydnreydn Posts: 73member
    Sorry, I point this out only because it has been pointed out to me a million times by my professors/mentors: "data suggest", rather than "data suggests" - data is plural, datum is singular.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    robbishrobbish Posts: 7member
    Toenails blue, surely?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Hope my new iPhone 6 5.5 inch 128g comes with a plastic body like the 5c so I can go caseless
  • Reply 16 of 47
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    toukale wrote: »
    I thought all the media, the analysts and all the haters said the 5c was a flop. It's easy to see what they were doing to spin the story regarding the 5c. The 5c replaced the 4s, so it should have been compared to how the 4s was doing, but no, that would be too logical and there is no story there.  So instead, they decided to compare it to the 5S to try to spin it as a negative.  I expect to see the same headlines regarding iphone supply cut. You can see them already setting the stage for it with yesterday/today's headlines.  "Apple ordered 70-80 million iphone 6", by January, the headlines will be "iPhone 6 not selling well, Apple cut their iphone 6 orders, Apple is doomed."
    Remember when the original iPhone debuted in 2007, how the media panned it as a failure, and how Steve Ballmer famously ridiculed the device?

Look at them now 8-)
  • Reply 17 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Hahaha ... good way to try to twist .... Glass half empty there in Googleville?
  • Reply 18 of 47
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    An upgraded 5SC would be a really nice entry level phone
  • Reply 19 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Truth > analysts.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    What I don't understand is; What is the difference between Wall Street being disappointed... And being wrong in THEIR projections??