Apple falls short of expectations with $7.7B in profit on sales of 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads

Comments

• Reply 101 of 178
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wonder how long it will take for this to normalize where we no longer see these YOY declines.

I think that until consumers feel they need to upgrade, there will be declines because most people who want an Apple product badly try to buy them when they're first released.     

I think the iPad needs an upgrade that is easily recognized as a vastly substantial improvement in order to trigger an upgrade cycle.   That would probably mean a product which, at the very least, has much longer battery life and is much lighter in weight.    It also needs some functionality (and I don't know what that functionality would be) that you can't do on a phone, regardless of the screen size.   Another functional possibility is the ability to replicate the screen (and ALL apps) and audio wirelessly on any large screen TV (that's connected to the local network) with the push of a single button.   And one more is a vast improvement to Siri which could cause owners of older iPads without Siri to upgrade. 

If Apple does indeed release a phone with a substantially larger screen, I would expect that iPad sales would decrease further since the phone could better be used as, for example, an e-book reader, which many use the iPad for.    The reality is that most people don't really need three devices and IMO, iCloud sync is still a bit confusing and imperfect.    

In other words, what the iPad needs at this point is lots of innovation.   

• Reply 102 of 178
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Here's another headline.

Apple (AAPL) Posts Quarterly Earnings Results, Beats Estimates By $0.06 EPS

http://www.wkrb13.com/markets/338144/apple-aapl-posts-quarterly-earnings-results-beats-estimates-by-0-06-eps/

• Reply 103 of 178

Here's another headline.

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL Archives | Email alerts

July 22, 2014, 5:15 p.m. EDT

Apple profit tops expectations on strong iPhone sales

Sales of smartphone jump 12.7% in latest quarter, ahead of expected refresh

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-earnings-top-expectations-on-strong-iphone-sales-2014-07-22?link=MW_latest_news

• Reply 104 of 178

Here's another headline.

Apple Posts Record June Quarter and 20% EPS Growth [Update]

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple-posts-record-june-quarter-and-20-eps-growth?utm_campaign=tmo_waylf

• Reply 105 of 178

Here's another headline.

Bloomberg News

Apple Posts Second Straight Profit Gain as IPhone Sales Jump

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-07-22/apple-posts-second-straight-profit-gain-as-iphone-sales-jump

• Reply 106 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mstone wrote: »
    okay got it, but now the 4S is zero
    It wasn't zero last year at this time was it?
  • Reply 107 of 178
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    herbapou wrote: »
    My father still being very satisfied with its ipad 2 says ot all. Upgrade cycle is very long.

My iPad 1 lasted almost 4 years. I "retired" it by making it my sister's first iPad. She loves it (she studies linguistics, and reads constantly, so it works real well for her), and it shows no signs of giving up yet. The battery still holds a full charge (she says 8~9 hours a day of use), and the screen is bright as ever... 

I replaced it with a Retina iPad Mini early this year. I wanted to wait for one with a Touch ID (assuming Apple is heading that way next-fen), but that was too far down the road.

I know the Mini could easily last another 3+ years for me, except I want the Touch ID!! So I"ll be getting another later this year (I hope!).

The build quality is as good as any Mac or iPhone I've owned, and it's rare that I replace those in less than 3 years (my typical cycle).

We're coming due for the replacement cycles for iPad 2 and 3 now, so I expect a solid uptick just from that... and the next-gen will be well worth upgrading into if it has Touch ID, etc...

You know, you just gave me an idea ...

When the iPad 2 was announced I bought five -- one for each member of our household

As the iPad 3, iPad Mini and iPad 4 were released I bout 1 each of these.(iPad 2s)

The newer iPads get pushed down to the grandkids to replace the iPad 2s.

I looked into selling the excess iPad 2s -- but decided to keep them to replace any lost or broken newer models.

This next cycle, I'll, likely, buy 1 new iPad and 1 new iPad mini, these will replace their counterparts and those, in turn, will get pushed down to the grandkids.

This time, rather than have 5 iPad 2s gathering dust, I think I'l find and donate to a charity that can use them for something like this:

A voice for those who cannot speak

Proloquo2Go

http://www.assistiveware.com/product/proloquo2go
  • Reply 108 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Perhaps, but I also think that iPad upgrade times are longer for many people. Most people aren't going to buy a new iPad every year, and maybe the market is somewhat saturated especially in non developing countries.
    I have a feeling we're going to get more than just an iPad with A8 and Touch ID. Cook has hinted at exciting things in the iPad space. Don't know if it will be through hardware or software (or a combination of both) but with the introduction of a larger screen iPhone it's the perfect time to differentiate the iPad. Because a bigger iPhone would easily eat into sales of iPad in its current form.
  • Reply 109 of 178
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've been thinking the same. Personally I don't think they're the PC replacements some were thinking. I see them as a supplemental device rather than something I'd be happy using all the time. Since the category is no longer new and therefor "cool", and they may no longer be widely perceived as preferable to a typical laptop I'm not particularly surprised that sales might be slowing.

I own a PowerMac, and MacBook.  My MacBook won all my time away from the desktop (now a media server to my Apple TV.  Then I bought my wife an iPad 2 when released and found myself reaching for it often.  I got myself an iPad Air when released and now only use my laptop for heavy work in graphics or moving many files between locations.  This is at home.

I would love to see an iPad Pro that could run both iOS and OS X.  Dropping the iPad into a docking station with a second large monitor for dual display work with wireless peripherals would be great.  I could just grab the tablet and be on my way.  When in the station OS X would kick in and the moment I pull it out it reverts to iOS.

How cool would it be to have these docks in various locations, like a terminal.  Everything is kept on the iPad Pro.

Hey one can dream.

• Reply 110 of 178
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

I've been thinking the same. Personally I don't think they're the PC replacements some were thinking. 

Your statement begs the question what would the majority of people, who have jobs, families, hobbies, and interests prefer:

1. An inexpensive, easy-to-use tablet backed up with superb customer service and assistance.

2. A more expensive, complicated computer with a learning curve and no customer service.

• Reply 111 of 178
    Quote:

I see them as a supplemental device rather than something I'd be happy using all the time. 

X platform is better than Y platform because X is better at fulfilling my idiosyncratic needs, which I have stupidly generalised as being everyone's needs

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 112 of 178
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yeah, but the "one-per-home" usage pattern may change ...

For example, during the recent World Cup you could watch games live on your iPad as well as on the TV. With some of the streaming apps (and possibly a new AppleTV) that $499 iPad could take on the additional role of a Personal TV. We just might see grandpa fighting the grandkids for control of the iPad.

Personal TV could be a nice growth opportunity for iPads -- especially when you consider that the CableCo cable coming into the home suffers if it is split to service more than 3 TVs (each with their $20/mo STB).

Or you could buy a TV with a much bigger screen plus a Apple TV for less than $499.
  • Reply 113 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    gtr wrote: »
    X platform is better than Y platform because X is better at fulfilling my idiosyncratic needs, which I have stupidly generalised as being everyone's needs

Fixed that for you.

I didn't lump "everyone" together. Good use of Ignoratio elenchi tho so your comment isn't totally wasted.
  • Reply 114 of 178
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Fixed that for you.

He didn't generalise. He was just musing.

I don't get the iPad replacing the laptop for a fair percentage of the population. It's a good consumption device. Not so great on production.
  • Reply 115 of 178
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Yeah, but the "one-per-home" usage pattern may change ...

For example, during the recent World Cup you could watch games live on your iPad as well as on the TV. With some of the streaming apps (and possibly a new AppleTV) that $499 iPad could take on the additional role of a Personal TV. We just might see grandpa fighting the grandkids for control of the iPad.

Personal TV could be a nice growth opportunity for iPads -- especially when you consider that the CableCo cable coming into the home suffers if it is split to service more than 3 TVs (each with their $20/mo STB).

Or you could buy a TV with a much bigger screen plus a Apple TV for less than $499.

We already have 3 TVs in the house (one with large screen).

The problem is that we have 5 people who all want to watch different things at the same time,

We can't split the carrier signal to support another TV -- tried that and the signal degraded to all TVs (lost connections, signal breakup, etc).

We all have SteamToMe and can concurrently watch different movies from our iTunes Movie repository over WiFi -- no problem there.

Like to be able to do that with live TV too.!
  • Reply 116 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

He didn't generalise. He was just musing.

I don't get the iPad replacing the laptop for a fair percentage of the population. It's a good consumption device. Not so great on production.

When you post on a public forum you aren't just musing.

With Google's failure in the tablet arena he's trying to deny the validity of the category.

• Reply 117 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member

:err:
  • Reply 118 of 178
    Quote:

1bugeye.gif 

• Reply 119 of 178
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Your statement begs the question what would the majority of people, who have jobs, families, hobbies, and interests prefer:

1. An inexpensive, easy-to-use tablet backed up with superb customer service and assistance.

2. A more expensive, complicated computer with a learning curve and no customer service.

Your statement begs the question:

What is your explanation for the slide in iPad sales 2 quarters in a row?

• Reply 120 of 178
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You're joking, right?