Strong iPhone 5c sales gave Apple highest growth in mid-range iPhone market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47

Wasn't the iPhone 5C renamed the iPhone Failure a while back?

• Reply 22 of 47
    This is to be expected. This is the phone that corporations are handing out to employees that are not important enough to choose their own phone.

It's not a mystery.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    geekmee wrote: »
    What I don't understand is; What is the difference between Wall Street being disappointed... And being wrong in THEIR projections??

If you're a beginner in stocks, you need to do a little research. Most of this, along with stock prices are projected well in advance. It's a subject that should/shouldn't include rumor sites. You would have to remember that there are more Analysts than the ones quoted on this site. They get paid for projections. Some are better than others and get paid accordingly. This site usually uses all of the worst material because they only need clicks. They're not interested in stocks, just rumors. It does make for some colorful comments though. The best analysts don't actually get viewing time. It's usually just the worst that do. They're trying to prove themselves. The best analysts actually "sell" themselves to investors, not push rumor sites to publish their crap projections.

Thought provoking question. Live Cattle are on the market and are sold six months ahead of time. If someone told you there was a 'mad cow' issue, would you sell? It's all about buying and selling. Some people really don't understand the whole buy low sell high concept. People who just "buy" and cross their fingers are interesting to say the least.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Is your GF a smurf? :-)

That would be a Smurfette. And I think it isn't 'a' Smurfette, it will be 'the' Smurfette, as I think there is only one!

• Reply 25 of 47
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,562member

The iPhone 5C was over priced at first and did not sell as well as Apple expected. The price, at least with carriers in the UK, is now far more palatable and the sales have increased accordingly.

The 5C is a lovely device, long may it's sales increase.

• Reply 26 of 47
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member

and I thought 5c was a dud?

• Reply 27 of 47
    igrouchoigroucho Posts: 63member
    Quote: Reydn

Sorry, I point this out only because it has been pointed out to me a million times by my professors/mentors: "data suggest", rather than "data suggests" - data is plural, datum is singular.

True, however I don't know there is a singular form for data, datum is not it! "Data" is both singular ("this data suggest") and plural but in this case it sure is plural.

• Reply 28 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    Tim answered a question from one of the audience members who said that their surveys in the US continued to suggest the 5C wasn't selling as well as some expected, relatively. It's still an iPhone so it's still a compelling purchase over competing phones. Click listen to the audio webcast and skip to 42:00:

http://investor.apple.com

Tim's answer was comparing relative sales of the 5S to 5 and 5C to 4S. We don't know what the 4S sales were last year at this time, the 5 might have been selling very well and so the 5S hasn't grown as much by comparison. Take an extreme example not based on real numbers and say the 4S sold 1 million units and the 5C sold 2 million, that's 100% growth. If the 5 sold 5 million units and the 5S sold 6 million, that's 20% growth, which is far lower growth than the 5C but the 5S in that case would still be outselling the 5C 3:1.

The reports about 5C sales could be mostly US-based and some 5C growth is coming from other countries but unless Apple releases unit breakdowns, nobody can tell how well it's selling.

What should be obvious to anyone is that in the following image, the phone on the left is not better than the phone on the right:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/46128/width/700/height/1000[/IMG]

The iPhone 5 would have sold better than the iPhone 5C at the same price point.

The anticipation for the iPhone 6 is going to impact sales of the 5S just now too and they mentioned this in the audio. That should affect 5C sales too but there's rarely any leaks about the lower models. If the expectation is that they'll use the same design for the next lower-end model, it'll just be the iPhone 6 parts in the 5C body, which isn't that big of a change unless they include touch id.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    geekmee wrote: »
    What I don't understand is; What is the difference between Wall Street being disappointed... And being wrong in THEIR projections??

Silly rabbit, WS is never wrong. Ha
    This is to be expected. This is the phone that corporations are handing out to employees that are not important enough to choose their own phone.

It's not a mystery.

Prove it.
    saarek wrote: »
    The iPhone 5C was over priced at first and did not sell as well as Apple expected. The price, at least with carriers in the UK, is now far more palatable and the sales have increased accordingly.

The 5C is a lovely device, long may it's sales increase.

Wrong as well as Cook in q1 did say the 5C did better than the 4S did at the same point in the year before.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    "but but but I've never seen a 5c in the wild" ;)
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbish View Post

Toenails blue, surely?

Funny! We'll make a detective of you yet, Watson! :)

Best.

• Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reydn View Post

Sorry, I point this out only because it has been pointed out to me a million times by my professors/mentors: "data suggest", rather than "data suggests" - data is plural, datum is singular.

Thanks Reydn. Usually when I read these posts I don't learn a damn thing. Not the case today! :)

Best.

• Reply 33 of 47
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Extremely limited cases available for phone:  phone no sell

Cases finally readily available:  phone sells

• Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Does this feed into the other reports of some saturation at the high-end?

If you mean the reports that don't exist, then yes.

• Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I got my GF the blue one.

Her toes are currently the same color!

Chics! :)

Best.

Is your GF a smurf? :-)

I thought smurfs had white feet.

• Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

I got my GF the blue one.

Her toes are currently the same color!

Chics! :)

Hope they don't drop off; sounds as though they may be a bit cold.

• Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reydn View Post

Thanks Reydn. Usually when I read these posts I don't learn a damn thing. Not the case today! :)

He's wrong. "Data suggests" is correct, "data suggest" is incorrect.

• Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

He's wrong. "Data suggests" is correct, "data suggest" is incorrect.

Thanks, Ben. It did sound a little awkward saying it the other way.

Best.

• Reply 39 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Suggests sounds right, but suggest is grammatically correct. Better to avoid altogether and rewrite the sentence IMO.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Suggests sounds right, but suggest is grammatically correct. Better to avoid altogether and rewrite the sentence IMO.

Wrong. "Data suggest" is grammatically incorrect. English is funny that way.

I love the irregularity of the English language.

"The data has been lost."

"The data was backed up to external hard drive."

Singular all the way with data.