Apple to release first public beta of OS X Yosemite on Thursday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

True, In my case I use a dedicated late 2013 Mac mini, I did also boot to an an external on my nMac Pro and it was nice but as you say, we have real work to do on our main machines. That said the Mac mini seems pretty solid since v4, as I said up the thread, Server v 4 seems good too,

It's been great for me since DP3. DP1 and 2 were a bit of a mess, although the stability has been really good for a major release (unlike 10.8 which gave me constant kernel panics during the first couple of betas). The only real compatibility issue I've run in to is with iWork '09 (which is a real shame, since Pages is still missing some of the page layout features I rely on). Even Parallels (which is notorious for requiring driver updates during major point-zero releases) worked perfectly from the start.

I have been reluctant to install the iOS 8 beta on my primary devices so I can't speak for continuity (the feature set I think we are all most excited about), but otherwise I'm liking 10.10, including the GUI elements (although it will be better when devs get their icons, particularly menu bar icons, updated to better support dark mode).

In my opinion, sometimes a fresh coat of paint does wonders to give your machine an updated feel.

(Oh yeah, and it's nice to be able to post more openly about betas without the fear of NDA violations)

• Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I couldn't agree more, especially when it comes to the calendar app, which, for me at least, is almost useless now, with it's pastel colours, grid lines which are mostly 90% transparent, etc. etc. .... if you put a lot of info on your monthly page view....it all runs together so as to make it all difficult to view with a glance. Nothing stands out. They should offer a "classic" view as an option, at least.

Doesn't bother me too much, but then I use BusyCal and Fantastical and haven't done a whole lot with the built-in Calendar app in quite some time.

• Reply 23 of 52
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Well... That's it.. I am upgrading to new rMBP by Yosemite release. My 2011 MBP served me well for almost three years and went through RAM upgrade and HDD to SSD replacement. I have to do this upgrade if I want to use Handoff and enjoy the full force of Yosemite.

If Handoff is the only feature I'll be missing out on with my early-2011 MBP (my mid-2011 Mac Mini appears to support it), that alone wouldn't have me upgrading. Once I dropped a data doubler in and gave my MBP a SSD boot disk (which has progressed from 120gb to 256gb and now to 750gb alongside its 768gb HDD), my machine runs so fast I can't fathom needing a new machine anytime soon (especially since I sprung for the upgraded HD display).

• Reply 24 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Handoff works fine in DP4. 

• Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Handoff works fine in DP4. 

On what hardware? I think Nasser was referring to a mention that Handoff requires Bluetooth 4.0/LE which is not available in certain Macs more than two years old (and the list of hardware is somewhat random and arbitrary since late-2011 MacBook Pro models do not have the capability yet my mid-2011 Mac Mini does).

• Reply 26 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

On what hardware? I think Nasser was referring to a mention that Handoff requires Bluetooth 4.0/LE which is not available in certain Macs more than two years old (and the list of hardware is somewhat random and arbitrary since late-2011 MacBook Pro models do not have the capability yet my mid-2011 Mac Mini does).

My 2012 MBA. 

• Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

My 2012 MBA. 

Yeah, that one qualifies according to this article.

• Reply 28 of 52
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member

Is it safe to assume that since it's a public beta and not a developer preview release, that issues like wiping iCloud won't happen going forward?  Will settings sync with iOS 7 devices?  Is there a list of incompatible software?  I have the DP on a test machine and really need to switch to it on my production machine and iOS devices, but the warnings of possible future issues hold me back.

• Reply 29 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Is it safe to assume that since it's a public beta and not a developer preview release, that issues like wiping iCloud won't happen going forward?

No, it’s a beta.

• Reply 30 of 52
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Is it safe to assume that since it's a public beta and not a developer preview release, that issues like wiping iCloud won't happen going forward?  Will settings sync with iOS 7 devices?  Is there a list of incompatible software?  I have the DP on a test machine and really need to switch to it on my production machine and iOS devices, but the warnings of possible future issues hold me back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it’s a beta.

Well hold on now - we have not heard anything about Apple as to how they're going to be handling this "transition". 

What about people with iOS 7 iCloud-based documents? Can they just not see them when the Beta comes out if they were made on an up to date iOS device? I highly doubt Apple would allow something as disruptive as that to happen, or even allowing general users from knowing multiple editions of iCloud exist, even in Beta. Plus, this requires them to distribute incomplete versions of Keynote, Pages, and Numbers that make documents incompatible with iOS 7 iCloud. I'd say likely you'll have access to an older edition of iCloud and those documents, and they will prevent access to iCloud for iOS8 and Yosemite (while lacking the ability to take advantage of things like the Doc browser and iCloud Drive) so general Beta users don't get too confused by this concept, lose data, etc. 

However, at the very least, we can assume that iCloud (iOS 8/DP based) will be cleared once more before iOS 8 is released.

• Reply 31 of 52
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

What about people with iOS 7 iCloud-based documents?

I know that I can see my iOS 5 iCloud documents in Yosemite and on iCloud.com.

Can they just not see them when the Beta comes out if they were made on an up to date iOS device?

Some syncing features, however, don’t sync between DP versions.

I highly doubt Apple would allow something as disruptive as that to happen, or even allowing general users from knowing multiple editions of iCloud exist, even in Beta.

It’s a beta. There’s nothing disruptive about it. You know what you’re getting into when you install it, and if you don’t, that’s your fault and your problem.

• Reply 32 of 52
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

I know that I can see my iOS 5 iCloud documents in Yosemite and on iCloud.com.

Some syncing features, however, don’t sync between DP versions.

It’s a beta. There’s nothing disruptive about it. You know what you’re getting into when you install it, and if you don’t, that’s your fault and your problem.

To access Documents created pre-iOS8 they must be copied into an iOS 8 cloud repo. In order to access iOS 8 documents via iOS 7 and lower, they must be copied into the pre-iOS 8 iCloud repo. This has worked the same for every iOS/OS X beta with iCloud. 

And when you have 1 million general/slightly tech savy users that are going to be downloading this beta, you're not going to want a million requests about how users cannot access their iCloud documents, lost iCloud documents, etc etc. This is a beta, but it is not "beta" like Siri was, which is I'm sure what a lot of people will think. 

• Reply 33 of 52

Apple to buy Yosemite National Park as part of the campaign for the new version of OS X–building a world class hotel for visitors.

• Reply 34 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Apple to buy Yosemite National Park as part of the campaign for the new version of OS X–building a world class hotel for visitors.

I would actually approve of such a move. A company like Apple would be a great steward of the park.

• Reply 35 of 52

I'm in the same boat with my 2011 MBP. Do you think Apple would tie Handoff support to the machine or just Bluetooth 4.0 LE support? If it's the latter, I'll probably just pick up a cheap USB adapter such as this one (link). It's a dirty solution, but less than one percent of the cost of a new high-spec MBP.

• Reply 36 of 52

Six months from SJ's birthdate. He's giving those guys deadlines.

• Reply 37 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I would actually approve of such a move. A company like Apple would be a great steward of the park.

+1
  • Reply 38 of 52
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

No, it’s a beta.

previously it was a developer preview, which is a pre-beta release.  It's one thing to wipe the iCloud during developer preview, it's another to wipe it during a public beta.  I'm not even too concerned if it doesn't sync to iOS 7, I do care if the data gets wiped.

I would also like to see a list of known incompatible software.

• Reply 39 of 52
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

If Handoff is the only feature I'll be missing out on with my early-2011 MBP (my mid-2011 Mac Mini appears to support it), that alone wouldn't have me upgrading. Once I dropped a data doubler in and gave my MBP a SSD boot disk (which has progressed from 120gb to 256gb and now to 750gb alongside its 768gb HDD), my machine runs so fast I can't fathom needing a new machine anytime soon (especially since I sprung for the upgraded HD display).

I couldn't get AirDrop to work between my iPad mini (latest iOS 8 beta) and 2011 MBP (latest OS X beta). So AirDrop most likely requires BT 4.0 LE as well. 

• Reply 40 of 52
    fithianfithian Posts: 82member
    So, where is it?