Killer Deal: Save up to $250 on Apple's new Macs plus get a 3-Year AppleCare Protection Plan for fre

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    jiminsdjiminsd Posts: 20member

I just finished checking Apple, MacMall and Adorama for a new iMac with various accessories I want and I found out the "Killer Deal" isn't so "killer".

Here is what I am looking to purchase:

• iMac 27", 3.5 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 3TB Fusion Drive, GeForce GTX 780M

• Apple Battery Charger

• Apple USB Super Drive

• Apple 2TB AirPort Time Capsule

• iPad Air 32 GB

1. Ok, I know this purchase is high end but I buy my Macs and keep them for years.  I have a 2006 refurbished iMac running strong.

2. Adorama included an Apple 3 YR Warranty but curiously you have to pay $7.95 to get it.  The warranty costs $169.00 at MacMall and Apple.  I should say that I would never pay for an extended warranty.  Decades ago, Consumer's Report convinced me that extended warranties are cash cows for the companies.  If the computer is going to fail, it would likely happen in the first few months.

3. MacMall includes Parallels free.

4. I intend to upgrade RAM to 16 GB using a Crucial 8 GB Kit for $169.00.

5. In my comparison, the MacMall system was new, the Adorama system was new but I cannot determine if it is a 2012 or 2013 model, the Apple model is refurbished.  It would appear I am comparing apples to oranges (pun intended) but refurbished models are completely rebuilt, checked and repackaged and come with the regular Apple 1 year warranty.  I have purchased 3 refurbished Apple computers over the years and never had any problems with them.  My main computer today is a refurbished 2006 iMac (that's 9 years old) and it is still running and running never ever having had any hardware issue.

6. Apple and MacMall install Mavericks but Adorama installs Mountain Lion.

Here is my comparison:

Item Apple MacMall Adorama

iMac 27", 3.5 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM,

3TB Fusion Drive, GeForce GTX 780M

2289.00 2649.99 2499.00
    Apple Battery Charger 29.00 28.99 27.99
    Apple USB Super Drive 79.00 69.00 69.99
    Apple 2TB AirPort Time Capsule 299.00 277.99 277.99
    Shipping free free 47.65
    Total $2696.00 $2956.97 $2922.62
    Apple 3 Year Warranty $169.00 $169.00 free except you pay $7.95 to qualify for it

So Apple's total price is $2696.00 some $260.97 less than MacMall and $226.62 less than Adorama.

I also want to enter the tablet market and have decided on an iPad Air 32 GB.  Apple's refurbished is $509.00, MacMall's price is $569.99 and Adorama lists a price of $594.00 but it is not available for purchase online.

I trust purchasing from Apple and MacMall because of previous purchases with nary a problem.  I still have not found out if the Adorama's models are 2012 or 2013.  I left a question on Adorama's Forum and sent a message to their customer support and have not had a reply.  My suggestion is to check all the details.  Compare prices.  I will save $226.62 by spending about 2 hours time researching and posting this comment.

• Reply 22 of 54

Jim, you are comparing a refurb to new computer prices. True, Apple Refurbs are restored to original hardware state, but, even according to Apple on their site, they may have some cosmetic damage. If you follow this link http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals and click on "Refurbishment Process", you will see this...

"Apple Certified Refurbished Products

Frequently Asked Questions:

(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

They are in 100% working condition, and are then sold as refurbished product. As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations."

Plus, depending on what state you live in, there is no tax for for the purchase from Adorama. You will be paying taxes from Apple. So the end result will be you will be out of pocket as much for a refurb as you will a brand new from Adorama. Oh, and to answer your question regarding year model, if it comes with Mavericks it is a 2013, and if it comes with Mountain Lion it is a 2012 model. So the iMac you are looking at from Adorama for $2499 would be a 2013 model.

As I stated in my previous comment, I just purchased from Adorama and am VERY pleased with my $549 savings. Hope this is helpful!

• Reply 23 of 54
    davesdaves Posts: 3member

I went thru the process:

. VIP Registration

. Logged in

. Added Mac Mini to cart

. Added shipping address

. Added discounted code

. Added payment info

But can't get the order to go thru. The Place Order key is grayed out. I clicked it anyway. The page refreshed and everything was the same. Nothing indicated that the order was accepted or anything was wrong or needed. I did not want to try clicking again in fear that  I would either ended up with two orders or something else worse. Hope that I'd hear something from them in a day or two.

• Reply 24 of 54

This is even less of a killer deal than before.  I received an email today from Adorama Support and the iMacs are indeed 2012 models.  They are NOT the latest 2013 model.  It is a bad business practice to leave the consumer uninformed like Adorama has done on their website.  They obviously hid the model year.  Please beware of business like this.

And to djjustsayin, yes I know I am comparing an Apple Refurbished model to a brand new model from MacMall and now I find out a 2012 model from Adorama.  I wrote that in my point #5.  Everyone has to make their own decision as to which computer they want to purchase.  I have had excellent success buying my last 4 Macs as refurbished.  I am simply trying to make the AppleInsider readers aware of the options.

MONDAY MORNING UPDATE:  When I made my VIP account, I made sure I went to my preferences and unchecked all communications from Adorama.  It didn't work.  I have had 3 email advertisements since I checked I want no emails of any kind.  Any company which refuses to honor a customer's preferences is not a company which can be trusted.  Beware.

• Reply 25 of 54
    cvbcvbcvbcvb Posts: 5member
    djjustsayin Quote:

I ordered on Monday and had my Mac on Wednesday. 

What type of shipping did you select from Adorama and to which state?  Thanks.

• Reply 26 of 54

Which one were you looking at that was a 2012 model? I'm looking at the 27" 3.2 GHz and all the specs are 2013 (i.e. Haswell processors, 802.11ac, etc.). 

• Reply 27 of 54
    macotormacotor Posts: 16member

I'll bet you're the guy who would remind the teacher they forgot to assign homework, too.

• Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macotor View Post

I'll bet you're the guy who would remind the teacher they forgot to assign homework, too.

Ha ha.  Nope, I never reminded any teacher.  Curiously though, I was a math and CompSci teacher for 25 years and never forgot to give an assignment.  Before you think I am a grouse though, I frequently gave my students weekends off.  LOL!

• Reply 29 of 54
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    daves wrote: »
    I went thru the process:
    . VIP Registration
    . Logged in
    . Added Mac Mini to cart
    . Added shipping address
    . Added discounted code
    . Added payment info
    But can't get the order to go thru. The Place Order key is grayed out. I clicked it anyway. The page refreshed and everything was the same. Nothing indicated that the order was accepted or anything was wrong or needed. I did not want to try clicking again in fear that  I would either ended up with two orders or something else worse. Hope that I'd hear something from them in a day or two.

You order hasn't gone through. They have a very quirky UI and the sales engine could use a total makeover

I had similar issues; you have to enter each "block" and press the "submit" button for that area, then that area closes up and makes the next entry block available. Repeat the process and you'll get there. If not I would call them. It is a great deal.

I ordered the Mac mini server and it will arrive Wednesday (it's Monday as I write this). That server is $999 on the apple website, not including apple care.

Having been burned by the MBP 15" early 2011 video card failure (didn't pickup AppleCare; we disdainfully declined apple's lame offers to charge $350 to fix this defectively manufactured lemon, with only a 90 day service warranty, this being the 2nd motherboard / video card failure for this $2300 laptop), I was happy to pay for AppleCare at a discount.

I saved close to $245 off retail before tax (and apologies to the state of virginia, I'll "forget" to pay sales tax).

Therefore, I fully expect a refreshed Mac mini to be announced on Wednesday :-(

Thanks Apple Insider for this promotion. It came at exactly the right time. I hope adorama gets lots of orders from AI readers.
  • Reply 30 of 54

Hi vaporland

Thanks for the info. I tried again, and this time, the final Place Order button seemed to be working (solid green) ;)

BUT . . . .

There was a small note that said the item is temporary out of stock :no:

• Reply 31 of 54

I'm seeing the price for the 2.6GHz 15" MBP (512GB, 16GB) (ACME294LLABZ) on your site as $2599 and on Adorama on the checkout page (after the coupon has been applied) as $2649 - has the price changed for this item?

• Reply 32 of 54

cvbcvb,

I went with two day shipping to Arkansas. Cost a little extra for expedited shipping, but I wanted it right away. Still saved over $500 total.

• Reply 33 of 54
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blshapiro View Post

I'm seeing the price for the 2.6GHz 15" MBP (512GB, 16GB) (ACME294LLABZ) on your site as $2599 and on Adorama on the checkout page (after the coupon has been applied) as $2649 - has the price changed for this item?

Yes, unfortunately it looks like a handful of 15" MacBook Pros saw a $50 price increase overnight and you may have caught it in our guides before the prices updated. The AppleCare stays free but there's not much we can do to prevent price changes in the market. Some online merchants even have their systems set to raise prices automatically as stock of an item is close to going out of stock. I have no idea if that is the case here.

• Reply 34 of 54
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is quite a savings .

• Reply 35 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    This does not relieve the buyer of the obligation to pay sales/use tax in their home state, if one is due. Some states, such as IL, require residents to report untaxed internet purchases on their annual income tax return, and to pay the owed use tax at that point.

So the offer from Adorama does NOT effect a $70-$200 savings, but rather merely increases the amount of work the consumer must do, because Adorama is refusing to collect the owed tax as a responsible party (such as Apple) would normally do.  This is a misleading advertisement.

Apple isn't doing that to be a responsible party. They are doing what they are required to do by law. If Apple has an Apple Store or other qualifying nexus in your state, they are required to collect.

As far as I'm concerned, a state expecting an out of state entity (one with no nexus in state) to collect taxes for them is exceeding their jurisdiction.

My state has a pretty nifty amnesty, you don't have to report items below a certain value if you just pay a small amount based on your AGI. Many Macs would be above that value though, but it's not cumbersome.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    dappdapp Posts: 2member

I jumped on this even though the model I picked is temporarily out of stock (back ordered). Anyone in the same boat? I don't mind waiting a couple more weeks but I wouldn't like this to drag for months, what's your experience with adorama?

• Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dapp View Post

I jumped on this even though the model I picked is temporarily out of stock (back ordered). Anyone in the same boat? I don't mind waiting a couple more weeks but I wouldn't like this to drag for months, what's your experience with adorama?

According to their website, they only charge customer when the item is shipped. Nevertheless, earlier this week, the item I wanted was temporary out of stock and I did not proceed. A couple of days later, it was shown in stock, so I placed the order yesterday. I'd think that they get new stocks often so hopefully, you won't have to wait long.

Best luck.

• Reply 38 of 54
    sd-diversd-diver Posts: 54member

Looks like the deal no longer works.  I initially was going for the $2599 MBP, but it was out of stock.  Just tried this again, and the price is at $2893 and the code AP08072014 no longer works...  :(

• Reply 39 of 54
    sd-diversd-diver Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Yes, unfortunately it looks like a handful of 15" MacBook Pros saw a $50 price increase overnight and you may have caught it in our guides before the prices updated. The AppleCare stays free but there's not much we can do to prevent price changes in the market. Some online merchants even have their systems set to raise prices automatically as stock of an item is close to going out of stock. I have no idea if that is the case here.

Is there a new code?  AP08072014 no longer works...

• Reply 40 of 54
    dappdapp Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sd-diver View Post

Is there a new code?  AP08072014 no longer works...

did you try clicking from the appleinsider.com link? see, the code never worked for me until I went through the appleinsider.com offer page, for some reason..