Apple to release first public beta of OS X Yosemite on Thursday

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52

Has anyone begun receiving invitations yet?  It will be nice if we can install this within a VM (i.e., Parallels).  I'd rather not run from an external drive and won't risk my primary system.

• Reply 42 of 52
    Just signed up. Will install it on a mid 2009 MBP when the code arrives. Why? Just for fun!
  • Reply 43 of 52
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

If you use Trim Enabler, there are some issues in beta 4.  It will work, but you have to disable the blocking of modified kernels.  You will also have to run the program from within the trim enabler package for it to run or else you will get a version error.  

Just an FYI.  

• Reply 44 of 52
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

If you use Trim Enabler, there are some issues in beta 4.  It will work, but you have to disable the blocking of modified kernels.  You will also have to run the program from within the trim enabler package for it to run or else you will get a version error.  

Just an FYI.  

Are you referring to Trim Enabler from Cindori software? 

• Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

Has anyone begun receiving invitations yet?  It will be nice if we can install this within a VM (i.e., Parallels).  I'd rather not run from an external drive and won't risk my primary system.

I was able to do that with early Mavericks betas. I haven't tried it with Yosemite but I would be surprised if the latest build of Parallels 9 didn't support Yosemite as a guest OS.

• Reply 46 of 52
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

hello Developers out there,

Is Yosemite compatible with Ruby and Ruby on Rails? I don't want to mess up my development environment.

If you're asking that, then you should even entertain the idea of running Yosemite.  It's beta.

• Reply 47 of 52

Even if you have not received the email from Apple, you can access your download code through the beta signup page. Downloading on my Parallels VM.

• Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Just an FYI.  

How do you do that? Mind running through the steps?

• Reply 49 of 52

That's fantastic news, though I couldn't find it.  Anyone know what model of Mac they are offering for free?
    It's the App store, no tangible products sold or given away there.  Thus, even if the sentences grammatically (I'm not sure ) indicates that the whole computer rather that simply the software is free it should be quite clear from the context.

No need for rain; I was enjoying his parade.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    kotmar wrote: »
    I see very little value in testing out this beta, what's the benefit?   Sure Mavericks looks a bit dated, but its stable, frankly the only features that are compelling like iCloud and phone features are turned off.  I think I'll wait until official release, its a computer, not a pair of jeans, does not need to be in style.

Judging from your avatar, you're averse to impurrrrfection.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    ascii wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Will they actually listen to general feedback from these users, or just process bug reports?</span>

I personally think the GUI isn't that great. Not quite Windows 8.1 bad, but heading in that direction. The Mac is supposed to be, above all, the computer that's easy to use. Their thinking seems to be "minimialist->simpler->easier to use." But really it should be "more intuitive->easier to use," and the most intuitive GUI is not always the most minimalist one.

And the least minimalist GUI is not always the most intuitive; so we're both right.
  • Reply 52 of 52