Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2014
Members of Apple's OS X beta testing program can now use redemption codes to download the public beta of Yosemite, the next-generation Mac operating system set to debut this fall.

Once users have entered their code into the Mac App Store, they are supplied with Yosemite build 14A299I, which is one digit off from the fourth developer preview of OS X 10.10, labeled 14A298I, that was provided to developers on Monday. Apple has asked that public beta testers use their Mac as they normally would, and leave comments through the Feedback Assistant application if they experience any issues.

"The OS X Beta Program lets you test-drive pre-release versions of OS X Yosemite and provide feedback to help make it even better," Apple said. "Experience the new look of OS X, and try some of the new features and apps like the new Today view, Spotlight, Safari, and Messages."

Some features, such as continuity between iPhones, iPads and Macs, require portable devices running iOS 8, which is not available for public beta testing. Only members of the iOS Developer Program can access that pre-release software.

When installing the Yosemite beta, users will be asked whether they wish to upgrade their account to iCloud Drive. Apple has warned that doing so will prevent users from accessing iCloud Documents and Data on devices with earlier version of OS X and iOS.

As it is unreleased software, the first public beta of OS X Yosemite does come with some known issues. They include:
    Safari may hang when playing certain Netflix content
  • iPhoto 9.5.1 and Aperture 9.5.1 are required, and can be updated through the Mac App Store
  • Editing in iPhoto may result in a black screen, while Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing may not function properly
  • iCloud Drive may appear empty in Finder, but restarting will fix this
  • AirDrop may not show nearby Macs, and sending files may not work
Apple announced on Wednesday that the first public beta of OS X Yosemite would be arriving. Users can sign up for the OS X Beta Program at its official website and will be able to install, test and provide feedback.

The upgrade requires a Mac running OS X Mavericks, which is available for free on the Mac App Store. Apple also recommends installing the OS X Yosemite Beta on a secondary Mac, since the software is still in pre-release testing and may contain issues.

Apple first announced its public Beta Seed Program in April, opening its OS X beta testing process to all Mac users willing to participate. This year, users were able to test pre-release maintenance and security updates to OS X 10.9 Mavericks, but Thursday marks the first time that OS X 10.10 Yosemite is available to test officially for non-developers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 176
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And here come 10,000 morons who install this and then whine about things being broken.

• Reply 2 of 176
    Even if you have not received the email from Apple, you can access your download code through the beta signup page. Downloading!
  • Reply 3 of 176
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    And here comes guys like tallest skill whose ego requires they demonstrate their unwarranted feelings of superiority and make buttwipse of themselves.
  • Reply 4 of 176
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Just downloading now - and I don't think it is actually limited to the first 1,000,000 people.

Has anyone already installed it? Is it reasonably OK to use in your MAIN machine? 

• Reply 5 of 176
    no email, nothing in app store, feedback assistance shows maverick and yosemite so I'm just waiting
  • Reply 6 of 176
    I tried to download it but the redemption code given to me on the site does not work. Stating it has already been redeemed. Apple support was no help and Feedback Assistant hasn't done much to help me either other state there is an error when I send out the feedback.
  • Reply 7 of 176
    Did you receive an email. I am still waiting for my code.
  • Reply 8 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

Did you receive an email. I am still waiting for my code.

Actually not - you just visit the AppleSeed page and get one immediately:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/guide

• Reply 9 of 176
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TomMikele View Post

And here comes guys like tallest skill whose ego requires they demonstrate their unwarranted feelings of superiority and make buttwipse of themselves.

What is a buttwipse exactly? Spelling is obviously not your strong point.

• Reply 10 of 176

I tried to download the beta but the code I was given has "already been redeemed" according to the app store. When I try to log back into appleseed the website states it will be back soon.

• Reply 11 of 176
    scottyoscottyo Posts: 45member

Initial download (started automatically after entering the redemption cert) failed almost immediately with (of course) no useful error message. Went to Purchases (had to relaunch App Store, it was wedged after failed dl) and restarted download. Watched it get to more than 1 GB of 5+ GB, then went away. When I came back, it had failed again.

Third time's a charm!?! At 1.75 GB and counting now

• Reply 12 of 176
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Seems like Apple's servers are getting hammered. Plus some on MacRumors are having issues saying their code has already been redeemed. And people wonder why Apple doesn't do a public beta for iOS?
  • Reply 13 of 176
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TomMikele View Post

Actually I agree with Tallest Skil on this one. Apple is taking a huge chance opening up the Yosemite beta testing to anyone who signs up for free. If they've never dealt with beta software, and I'm not talking about some applications that are always in beta, they aren't aware of how much damage you can do to your Mac. Even though Apple states not to put this on a production system (I run all my betas on an external drive), people will ignore what they (don't) read and do it anyway. Once they find they can't go back to Mavericks, they'll start complaining. This happens with released software but it will be much worse with beta software. Apple can't test every way people use their Macs, which is why developers test them. 

If you're an ADC member, current or former, you would know this. Good luck testing Yosemite. I like it and I like the new features being added.

• Reply 14 of 176

It tell mes that the site is temporarily closed. 

• Reply 15 of 176

I am having the issue of my redemption code has already been redeemed and now the site looks like it is under maintenance.

• Reply 16 of 176
    scottyoscottyo Posts: 45member

Go to apple.com, search for Yosemite and select the Yosemite Preview article that should appear in the list, go to bottom of that page and look for the test drive link. You'll need to log in to the beta program with your original login info.

• Reply 17 of 176
    rob53 wrote: »
    Actually I agree with Tallest Skil on this one. Apple is taking a huge chance opening up the Yosemite beta testing to anyone who signs up for free. If they've never dealt with beta software, and I'm not talking about some applications that are always in beta, they aren't aware of how much damage you can do to your Mac. Even though Apple states not to put this on a production system (I run all my betas on an external drive), people will ignore what they (don't) read and do it anyway. Once they find they can't go back to Mavericks, they'll start complaining. This happens with released software but it will be much worse with beta software. Apple can't test every way people use their Macs, which is why developers test them. 

If you're an ADC member, current or former, you would know this. Good luck testing Yosemite. I like it and I like the new features being added.
    Most people think, hey beta, give me, give me, then go on a rampage when things don't work right, beta testing a unfinished OS can kill many things.
  • Reply 18 of 176
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottyo View Post

Go to apple.com, search for Yosemite and select the Yosemite Preview article that should appear in the list, go to bottom of that page and look for the test drive link. You'll need to log in to the beta program with your original login info.

Tells me Apple us busy updating their site. 

EDIT: Well I tried it again and got my code and then I went to go back to get a link for someone and its down again. So I guess for those who are getting the message above, just have patience and keep trying. The code is a clickable link that will take you directly to the Mac App Store code redemption page with the code pre-entered. All you have to do is click redeem and it will start downloading. 

• Reply 19 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

So far, is it good enough to use on your main Mac or not? I am not gonna whine of course; just wanna know how much of a "beta" it really is as far as daily usage is concerned.

• Reply 20 of 176
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

So far, is it good enough to use on your main Mac or not? I am not gonna whine of course; just wanna know how much of a "beta" it really is as far as daily usage is concerned.

This is a question that is always asked by people who shouldn't be installing it.

I am using it as my daily driver on an important work machine....WHY? Because I know what I'm doing, and when things go wrong, I can recover quickly. I can be back in business from a time machine backup, for either yosemite or mavericks, at any time i wish.

I've seen random kernel panics occur all the way up through and including DP4. There are major unresolved issues. If you don't know how to cope with the possibility that your machine might turn it off and lose or corrupt data at any moment....you don't belong anywhere near a "beta".