Apple makes first OS X Yosemite public beta available on the Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 176
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Well - BT 4.0 enabled cards are not required for Continuity to work, just the devices be on the same iCloud account and connected to the web in some fashion (Continuity includes features like SMS in Messages on Mac).

But unfortunately, that's a no for Handoff. While it will show up that your Mac supports it (depending on the doggle), it will not work. It seems as though Apple is checking not for 4.0 support but specific cards against machines. I swapped out the BT chip in my 2011 mbp with a 2012 one and it still took a change to a kext to disable that check to allow Handoff to prompt me. 

Thanks! But I'm not going to give up!

I found a couple sets of instructions... I still gotta try.

http://blog.joefernandez.me/post/57511809381/belkin-mini-bluetooth-v4-0-usb-adapter-f8t065-on-mac

http://www.atpeaz.com/index.php/2012/using-unsupported-bluetooth-4-0-usb-dongle-with-os-x/

• Reply 62 of 176
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Thank you for grasping the obvious...good to see that there is someone reasonable around here.

Wrong. Obvious is for you and your Kumbiya buddy to get together, install the beta and answer the questions you're asking. Or don't and just wait until a number of knowledgable and experienced folks here have had the time to install and report back. I'm sure you'll hear soon enough of all of Yosemite's flaws and that Apple is surely doomed now.

BTW: beta testing is more than commenting about speed, the color of the icons, or GUI changes.
  • Reply 63 of 176
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    @brlawer - you made the claim that you have so much experience, so...

Q: what are the first 3 things you should do to prepare any machine before updating any OS, whether beta or production?

Come on... give us The Spelling Idiots a simple lesson and proof of your supremecy... even though you're the one with the dumb questions and comprehension deficiency.
  • Reply 64 of 176
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    All he wants to know is how stable it is?
    It is a beta with all the Apple supplied warnings, how difficult is that?

How freaken hard is that to understand? He didn't ask for a damn lecture on the possible dangers of installing a beta operating system.
    I was being nice. I'm on vacation this week so I'm a bit more relaxed and was taking it easy. I don't have a high tolerance for stupidity.
    Here's a few more "appropriate" questions some of you can answer...
    Your advice isn't needed and frankly if anything I went too easy on the guy.
    1<span style="line-height:1.4em;">. How stable does it seem?</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">2. Frequent crashes/freezing?</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">3. Many interface glitches?</span>

In the end I think Tallest and the others are right. The Apple community doesn't have the chops to handle a beta.
  • Reply 65 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

All of the above are possible and any stability problems, glitches, or program incompatibilities wont be known with any degree of certainty until possibly Monday. So once again: it's all at your own risk, which is stated in the acknowledgment TOC when anyone signed up. Patience... or risk finding out yourself the hard way.

You know what? It was a really simple question that someone who has been running the beta for a while now could've answered and someone who downloaded this public version and has started playing around could've given first impressions.

A simple, "No, man, too many issues, not at all usable." or "Seems fine so far. I haven't noticed any serious problems."

Is that really that damned hard? Apparently, some of you would rather give a lecture and come off as high and mighty.

I've used a beta version of almost EVERY OS X release on my main system after I backup up the old. I know what a beta is. I know there are risks. That's not the question that was asked, and yet that's the only answer you "super smart" people want to respond with and continue to reiterate in every response.

How about you shut up and ignore the question if you don't have the answer? I don't need the beta-police telling what I should and shouldn't do, I'm just looking for an opinion on how well the beta runs.

• Reply 66 of 176
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

So far, is it good enough to use on your main Mac or not? I am not gonna whine of course; just wanna know how much of a "beta" it really is as far as daily usage is concerned.

No, it is not. Apple has said very clearly that it should not be relied on in a mission critical setting.

I'm sorry if you think this attitude is condescending, but the fact is that this beta has been live for less than 24 hours. There is no way anyone here has a good feel for how stable it is.

• Reply 67 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Yeah, I created another partition.  I expect problems -- possibly many -- but the only complaining I will do about them is here, to piss off TS. ;)

j/k

Yikes! That sounds a bit risky. I hope you backed up your main partition and have it disconnected from the machine?

I remember there was one beta that had a bug in the file system and started wiping all the connected drives.

• Reply 68 of 176
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

All he wants to know is how stable it is? How freaken hard is that to understand? He didn't ask for a damn lecture on the possible dangers of installing a beta operating system.

Here's a few more "appropriate" questions some of you can answer...

1. How stable does it seem?

2. Frequent crashes/freezing?

3. Many interface glitches?

I don't think anyone here can ethically answer those questions. We are all dealing with Beta software that we don't have extensive experience with. The whole point of the beta is so that testers can run into unknown problems. The only one qualified to tell you whether or not it is stable enough to be used on a main machine is Apple, and they have already given that answer. the people you rate attacking are simply trying to do the right thing by not lulling the OP into a false sense of security.

• Reply 69 of 176
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by claudiocesar View Post

:) great beta !!! is working flawlessly  on my Mac Pro 2009  , if this is the unfinished product , the final version will rock , super fast , reminds me more and more of OS 7... !!!!:D 

Big Bang was the bomb! 

it flew on my IIcx

• Reply 70 of 176
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And here come 10,000 morons who install this and then whine about things being broken.

When signing up for a AI account, can the question 'are you a new Apple beta tester?' be asked, and if so, deny registration :) 

• Reply 71 of 176
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Yikes! That sounds a bit risky. I hope you backed up your main partition and have it disconnected from the machine?

I remember there was one beta that had a bug in the file system and started wiping all the connected drives.

Really?  I figured a separate partition would be fine,  no?  My back-up is a TM back-up, but obviously connected to the same machine.

Well, so far, I've played around with Yosemite a bit.  I like it, though I WISH I COULD EFFIN' GET ICLOUD KEYCHAIN TO ACTUALLY *WORK* FOR ONCE!  Other than that, though ... :)

One thing though, and I'm sure that this shows how dumb I am -- I always assumed (from years of using Linux) that when I restarted, it would give me the option of the different partitions into which reboot.  Apparently, unless I am missing something (which I am SURE I am), I need to keep going and changing the Startup Disk?

What am I missing?

• Reply 72 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I don't think anyone here can ethically answer those questions. We are all dealing with Beta software that we don't have extensive experience with. The whole point of the beta is so that testers can run into unknown problems. The only one qualified to tell you whether or not it is stable enough to be used on a main machine is Apple, and they have already given that answer. the people you rate attacking are simply trying to do the right thing by not lulling the OP into a false sense of security.

Well there are many people here who have been using the beta since it was released at WWDC. They would know how well the beta runs and can give an impression. We can assume (not always) that since this beta is a newer build, it might have even less issues than the DP4 beta released earlier this week.

Apple doesn't say whether it is or isn't stable enough to use as an everyday machine. They do say they recommend you backup your system or install it on a second Mac. I have used many OS X betas where Apple has said the same thing and most have worked fine for everyday use.

I downloaded the public beta, but I cannot install it at the moment due to the fact that one of drives has died in my RAID, so I cannot backup my system. So I was just being curious to what some people thought about it. I never expected that question to be answered right away. I can always come back tomorrow and read responses. Unfortunately, a few people responded by lecturing me on something I am already well aware of, rather expressing an opinion that would've been a proper response to my question. Again, I never asked if it was okay or safe to install the OS.

Mature, proper responses to the question would've been along the lines of,

"I downloaded it and tried it ... I wouldn't recommend that you use it as an everyday system ... way too many issues and kernel panics"

Or even,

"It's great! Love the new interface. Runs much faster and smoother. I did notice a few issues though, but nothing major, so far."

That's all I was looking for. There's no need for ethics here. If someone is stupid enough to come on here looking for advice and then installs the public beta over the top of their existing OS without following Apple's recommendations (backing up or use second Mac), then tough. Don't come on here bitching and whining about. No one wants to hear it!
  • Reply 73 of 176
    Quote:

Really?  I figured a separate partition would be fine,  no?  My back-up is a TM back-up, but obviously connected to the same machine.

Well, so far, I've played around with Yosemite a bit.  I like it, though I WISH I COULD EFFIN' GET ICLOUD KEYCHAIN TO ACTUALLY *WORK* FOR ONCE!  Other than that, though ... :)

One thing though, and I'm sure that this shows how dumb I am -- I always assumed (from years of using Linux) that when I restarted, it would give me the option of the different partitions into which reboot.  Apparently, unless I am missing something (which I am SURE I am), I need to keep going and changing the Startup Disk?

What am I missing?

It doesn't matter which drive you boot from, the other partition is still there and can still be mounted and accessed by the system. And if there's some unfortunate series of bugs, the partition could be mounted and then wiped. Truthfully, the odds are small, very rare, but it is still possible.

You have a TimeMachine backup? Is it on an external disk? If so, just disconnect or power off while you're playing around in Yosemite.

So you're having issues with iCloud Keychain? Is that just happening or were having an issue with Mavericks as well?

Not sure how I missed that last problem of choosing which disk to boot from... what ai46 says two posts down. LOL

• Reply 74 of 176

I have installed on a second computer and have not run into a single problem—so far.

• Reply 75 of 176
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Quote:

What am I missing?

After restarting, press and hold down the option key until all volumes load. Use the arrow keys to select the one you want to startup from. I always keep my main HDD as the Startup Disk choice then select others this way.

HTH,

ciao—?

• Reply 76 of 176
    Installed on external drive to test... me likes!
  • Reply 77 of 176
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ai46 View Post

After restarting, press and hold down the option key until all volumes load. Use the arrow keys to select the one you want to startup from. I always keep my main HDD as the Startup Disk choice then select others this way.

HTH,

ciao—?

Thank you!  :)

• Reply 78 of 176
    Quote:

It doesn't matter which drive you boot from, the other partition is still there and can still be mounted and accessed by the system. And if there's some unfortunate series of bugs, the partition could be mounted and then wiped. Truthfully, the odds are small, very rare, but it is still possible.

You have a TimeMachine backup? Is it on an external disk? If so, just disconnect or power off while you're playing around in Yosemite.

So you're having issues with iCloud Keychain? Is that just happening or were having an issue with Mavericks as well?

Not sure how I missed that last problem of choosing which disk to boot from... what ai46 says two posts down. LOL

The Keychain problem has been going onnforever.  It SHOULD be simple, but somehow it keeps not doing anything.  I am sure it's me.

• Reply 79 of 176
    Here goes.....
  • Reply 80 of 176
    luinilluinil Posts: 59member

Is making a time machine backup and cutting Time machine in Yosemite a sufficient way to backup the system or do I need to make my backup on a separate drive ?