Thanks to many of you, Apple's damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
TO THE PRO USERS:

It seems that Motorola doesn't have the G5 ready yet. Because of that, Apple had the choice to do one of two things.

1) Release a slightly speed-bumped G4 (even Apollo) with DDR at MWSF. If they had done this, there would have been tons and tons of users here who would have complained, "I can't believe it! Apple dropped the ball and brought us yet another slow machine. Why didn't they release the G5? I can't stand it and am going to buy a Wintel now."

or...

2) Not release anything now, and wait for another huge product release with the G5, DDR, yadda yadda come Feb.-July. That happened, and now we hear: "Why didn't Apple update the G4's or release the G5? I'm gonna be sick! I'm tired of Apple continuing to cater to the consumer crowd and continue to sell SLOW (note: that's just funny in itself) PowerMacs. They'd better do something soon or I'm buying a Wintel."

If either way they're going to get criticism, WHAT THE HELL IS APPLE SUPPOSED TO DO?!?!

Do you not agree that the iMac was VERY due for an update?

Do you not agree that Motorola isn't getting the job done as fast as Apple would like it?

Do you not agree that a DP 800 G4 is pretty frickin' fast? (I wish I had one!)

WHAT WILL MAKE YOU PEOPLE HAPPY?!?! I'm really curious.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>Do you not agree that a DP 800 G4 is pretty frickin' fast? (I wish I had one!)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The DP 800 really is a disappointment to many power users. Plus with the selling price of $3400 while doesn't perform as good as other competitors is just plain ridiculous

You sound like an Apple apologist to me

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 12
    The IMac has been stuck in G3 since the day it was launched - it was long overdue in specs and design and the home consumer market is probably more important to Apple now then ever.

Why? Because if we hit hard times, companies arn't going to invest in technology unless the money is worth investing.

The new iMac G4 paves the way for G5 and I'm convinced we'll see this in the next 2 months. Great things are coming... I could wait for the G5 or go for the iMac - but I've been waiting for a good year now so I'm going for the iMac...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]

TO THE PRO USERS:

It seems that Motorola doesn't have the G5 ready yet. Because of that, Apple had the choice to do one of two things.

1) Release a slightly speed-bumped G4 (even Apollo) with DDR at MWSF. If they had done this, there would have been tons and tons of users here who would have complained, "I can't believe it! Apple dropped the ball and brought us yet another slow machine. Why didn't they release the G5? I can't stand it and am going to buy a Wintel now."

or...

2) Not release anything now, and wait for another huge product release with the G5, DDR, yadda yadda come Feb.-July. That happened, and now we hear: "Why didn't Apple update the G4's or release the G5? I'm gonna be sick! I'm tired of Apple continuing to cater to the consumer crowd and continue to sell SLOW (note: that's just funny in itself) PowerMacs. They'd better do something soon or I'm buying a Wintel."

<hr></blockquote>

Then Apple did the wrong thing. If they knew people were going to be sick when they didn´t release a bumped G4 and not if they had it is highly irresponsible from their part. I say class action.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

The DP 800 really is a disappointment to many power users. Plus with the selling price of $3400 while doesn't perform as good as other competitors is just plain ridiculous</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe, but many of you make it sound like it's two notches higher than an LCII -- maybe.

I have a Powerbook with a 400Mhz G3. I think it's pretty speedy for most everything I do. I couldn't even imagine the speed of an Altivec-enhanced program running on a DUAL 800 G4! By the way, each one of those chips are TWICE the Mhz of my laptop -- and there's two of them.

How is that slow?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    An Athlon XP 1900 PC runs

2.5x as fast in Lightwave and Cinema rendering.

2x as fast in After Effects

1.5x as fast in Photoshop 6

.....than the DP 800 G4!

Can we say the Mac is fast?

Honestly if it isn't OSX I think I may have ditched my G4 many months ago.

• Reply 6 of 12
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Leonis, mind posting some benchmarks? I'd be interested to see them.

I think it would have been nice for Apple to 'silently' lower the prices of the G4s, because $3400 is expensive.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Leonis, mind posting some benchmarks? I'd be interested to see them.

I think it would have been nice for Apple to 'silently' lower the prices of the G4s, because $3400 is expensive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh....fogot to say that they aren't benchmarks. They are the actual files that my friends, colleagues and I use.

• Reply 8 of 12
    pcmanpcman Posts: 24member

<strong>TO THE PRO USERS:

or...

If either way they're going to get criticism, WHAT THE HELL IS APPLE SUPPOSED TO DO?!?!

Do you not agree that Motorola isn't getting the job done as fast as Apple would like it?

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Do you not agree that Motorola isn't getting the job done as fast as Apple would like it?"

Yes, I do. That's why Apple should drop Motorola, a company that tries to do everything electronic, and go with Intel or AMD, companies that PRIMARILY make chips for Personal Computers. G5? Whatever. If/when this thing does come out, I can't even speculate as to what it will cost. It had better be able to beat the 3Ghz PCs that will be out by then, cause it's probably gonna cost double. Explain to me why partnering with AMD is a bad plan for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    To play devil's advocate on why Apple doesn't ditch Motorola...well, they may be trying to. Who knows who Steve's been talking to at Intel, IBM, or AMD? I'd imagine the reason it's taking so long (if it's actually happening) is for the many huge details, configurations, contracts, etc. to be worked out.

They can't really drop Motorola without another chip manufacturer in place, can they? They can't just shake hands with AMD and automatically have a deal, can they? Deals like that are sometimes years in the making.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member

<strong>To play devil's advocate on why Apple doesn't ditch Motorola...well, they may be trying to. Who knows who Steve's been talking to at Intel, IBM, or AMD? I'd imagine the reason it's taking so long (if it's actually happening) is for the many huge details, configurations, contracts, etc. to be worked out.

They can't really drop Motorola without another chip manufacturer in place, can they? They can't just shake hands with AMD and automatically have a deal, can they? Deals like that are sometimes years in the making.

another problem with the AMD+Apple connection is the fact that Apps would have to be recoded for them to take advantage of AMD's chip. And since some devlopers are slow even coming to OS X and even supporting AltiVec (Out longer then X), what makes you think they will update for the AMD chip? Plus what about all the $ that some companies (Adobe, Alias, etc.) spent on OS X on PPC development. Its not like they can use their x86 versions of their software b/c they would have to support OSX. A Catch-22 so to say. Damned if they switch their apps ($ dev new code for new H/W) and damned if they dont (left behind on the new H/W)...

Srry for the ramble, I hope it was coherant...

-Paul

Edit: without even knowing it, I aluded to th Subject w/o even tlaking about the same idea, wow I am really tired... It works tho right?

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: psantora ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member

<strong>TO THE PRO USERS:

or...

2) Not release anything now, and wait for another huge product release with the G5, DDR, yadda yadda come Feb.-July.

Six months with no revisions while the competition churns out massive speed increases at miniscule costs?

iMac needed it, iMac got it. Great. It will sell. The Pro line is actually now slower, and expensive as hell. No price drops - it's old; drop. the. prices.....Nobody in their right mind would buy a Pro machine now. If new G4s or G5s or whatnot are almost ready, after months of figuring out how to do DDR frontside bus, then 1) announce the G5 and the month, and 2) Drop the prices dramatically on the Pro line while adding G4's to make dualies and quad machines now, to add value over the damn iMac.

As far as Motorola goes, I think the G5 must be ready - Jobs is absolutely not stupid enough to think that Apple could possibly survive if all he is going to have in July isthe Apollo G4 - no freakin' way, he would have long ago gone to AMD.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    br0ckbr0ck Posts: 8member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Leonis, mind posting some benchmarks? I'd be interested to see them.

I think it would have been nice for Apple to 'silently' lower the prices of the G4s, because $3400 is expensive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No Leonis you don't have to. For $3400 bucks, you could buy 2 Dual AMD Palamino systems. Now Fran441, do you think for the same price a DP800 can out perform 4 AMD chips in 2 systems? Think realistic and not different.