Rumor: Production for new iPad mini, iPad Air, & 5.5" 'iPhone 6' pushed to Sept.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Just take a look at AMZN if you want to have a good laugh this morning.

-11% for those who are wondering! like I was.

Thanks SpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wish there was one rumor site that would be bold and not be beholden to the almighty page views.

I suppose if they moved to a paid subscriber model one might see less sensational headlines and phony analyst-driven coverage.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Does anyone else just hope the 5.5 doesn't exist?

I know it will be viewed as a very subjective opinion but that screen size just seems so impractical to me. Apple has always been about looking out for the user which in some cases means giving them what they need not what they want. I'm really hoping they never submit to the 5.5" size. We have tablet for that reason and with wifi calling if you really want to take a call with a behemoth device you can.

5.5" dimension doesn't fit in your pocket well. I'd say maybe 30% of the world even has hands large enough to utilize the screenspace comfortably. It essentially requires a two handed use, unless you are in that 30% who have hands large enough to justify the size.

I know some people really crave it, I just think it's a foolish, unquantified request. That being said I'd just love to hear arguments for and practical use cases if anyone cares to share them.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    shard wrote: »
    I like the iPad Pro rumor and then how the analyst mourned when the rumored product was rumored to have been canceled.

A rumor of a rumor must be true!

If it's on the internets it must be true! /s
  • Reply 25 of 54
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wish there was one rumor site that would be bold and not be beholden to the almighty page views.

When you find it, please let us know. Thanks!

:D

• Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathandsimmons View Post

I know it will be viewed as a very subjective opinion but that screen size just seems so impractical to me. Apple has always been about looking out for the user which in some cases means giving them what they need not what they want. I'm really hoping they never submit to the 5.5" size. We have tablet for that reason and with wifi calling if you really want to take a call with a behemoth device you can.

5.5" dimension doesn't fit in your pocket well. I'd say maybe 30% of the world even has hands large enough to utilize the screenspace comfortably. It essentially requires a two handed use, unless you are in that 30% who have hands large enough to justify the size.

I know some people really crave it, I just think it's a foolish, unquantified request. That being said I'd just love to hear arguments for and practical use cases if anyone cares to share them.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. If the rumor about this form factor is true, I worry that the 5.5" may have some features that the 4.7" lacks.

I truly hope Apple does not do something like that. That would be very disappointing.

• Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

... lies are just as good as truth these days as long as you don't fact check.

Oh come on! If anyone could actually "fact check" then these wouldn't be called "rumors", would they?  So this complaint is rather nonsensical.

• Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's called Facebook.

• Reply 29 of 54
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathandsimmons View Post

Well, the main reason for the nonexistence would be Apple's strong tendency not to proliferate too many sizes of a particular product.

Particularly for iDevices, multiple sizes, aspect ratios, and screen resolutions makes app programming more challenging. This is less of an issue with OS X applications which have resizable windows.

I know there are practical use cases for a 5.5" handset, just like there are practical use cases for a 17" notebook, 14" tablet, or a small mini-tower Mac with a user upgradeable graphics card. However, just because there are use cases does not mean Apple necessarily needs to create products to fulfill those desires.

• Reply 30 of 54
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    Between 5S and 5C, which line will be (likely) terminated?
  • Reply 31 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

I agree with you wholeheartedly. If the rumor about this form factor is true, I worry that the 5.5" may have some features that the 4.7" lacks.

I truly hope Apple does not do something like that. That would be very disappointing.

If they discontinue selling a 4" iPhone, THAT would be disappointing!
  • Reply 32 of 54
    I suppose if they moved to a paid subscriber model one might see less sensational headlines and phony analyst-driven coverage.

Right now they're just a human RSS feed, supplemented with analysts' press releases, DED blog, and the occasional non-professional, non-lab product review.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If they discontinue selling a 4" iPhone, THAT would be disappointing!

That is quite unlikely. OTOH, the 3.5" may be history....

• Reply 34 of 54
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

Amazes me that Grandma Tilly would get a visit from the SEC for selling stock that might be conspicuously construed as "insider trading" (ie., she coincidentally sells it at the right time; who could've thunk?!). 

If you don't think these "analysts" aren't manipulating AAPL (and other) stocks for their gain, I've a bridge to sell you. Markets are emotional, and will react to this junk being manufactured from some analyst, whose predictions are as reliable as throwing darts at a wall of letters. 

The SEC should go after these rumors from "anonymous" sources. Create a law that requires a real source. So that windmills don't get chased, maybe craft the law so that they only go after the potential perpetrator if the stock swings more than, let's say, 7% in one day based on nothing other than the un-cited rumor. I bet the rumor mill would dry up quickly. 

• Reply 35 of 54
    bradipao wrote: »
    Between 5S and 5C, which line will be (likely) terminated?

You really want a random guess from strangers on the Internet? Might as well ask the Magic 8-ball :)
  • Reply 36 of 54
    laynglayng Posts: 11member
    What if the 5.5 inch device is not an iPhone, but an iPad nano with full cellular capabilities? Launching in October would then make perfect sense.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Yeah, gee, it would be awesome if these rumor sites would stop reporting these damn rumors. :rolleyes:

• Reply 38 of 54
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

If you think of it as a nano iPad, like layng does above here, it will sell on the strength of being the world's cutest and most desirable tablet. Like with the iPad mini, which many didn't see the use-case for, it may become a best-seller for a time, especially if they bump up the pixel density, which I expect them to do.

I'm sure they've also done some market research in other countries,China for example, and they may see a market case for a betweener tablet that matters much to people who use characters, but wouldn't matter so much to people who use an alphabet.

I can see a compelling use for this size as a hand-held virtual reality and stereoscopic player such as one needs for a viewer like Google Cardboard, which is right now limited to use with 4.7" to 5.5" Android phones.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Just take a look at AMZN if you want to have a good laugh this morning.

Somebody purchased a boatload of AMZN stock today.
  • Reply 40 of 54

The 5.5 inch model will have rich, Corinthian leather. It will be called the Quadra 840AV.