Apple, Inc's double digit U.S. Mac growth contradicts IDC & Gartner reports of a Mac sales slump

Comments

• Reply 61 of 119
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sacto joe wrote: »
    Also, Macs are now only 15% of Apple's revenue stream.
    The times, they are achangin'....

I suspect that percentage will continue to drop as Mac sales and their profit percentage of the traditional PC market grows.
  • Reply 62 of 119
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I suspect that percentage will continue to drop as Mac sales and their profit percentage of the traditional PC market grows.

Do you mean increase?
  • Reply 63 of 119
    asdasd wrote: »
    Do you mean increase?

No, I feel that Mac sales as a percentage of Apple's total business will likely continue to fall, especially if a new protect category gets introduced.
  • Reply 64 of 119
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Microsoft is doomed™.

Damn. I should have trademarked it! :lol:
  • Reply 65 of 119
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Lenovo, HP and Dell don't make Windows.  Windows is winning in its game, which is generating profit from software ubiquity.  Apple is winning its game, which is generating profit from hardware.  Windows seems to be winning less than it was last year, and Apple is winning more, but they're both still winning.

And Motorola is winning by making all the BlackBerrys. And Windows Phone is winning because its on every Lumina. And there are some Lumina phones with really high resolution cameras! And Surface is winning as the Windows hybrid-tablet that isn't an actual notebook.

Except that nobody is buying those things and they aren't profitable. 

• Reply 66 of 119
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    IDC and Gartner need to spend less time their cubicles making predictions based on databases and more time talking to real people and walking into real stores.
  • Reply 67 of 119
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pringsmuth View Post

It scares me when people start talking about Apple moving away from Intel chips in their Macs. The move to Intel was the reason I started investing in Apple. I am a frequent VMWare user for some key Windows only software that is not available for the Mac. Unless Apple has their own Intel compatible chip in the works, it would be a very bad idea to produce a Mac that is not capable of running Windows software. 

Even more important to professionals is that much of the really high end Mac software needs to run on an x86 chip as well. People sometimes assume that Xcode will simply recompile for whatever new architecture is targeted, failing to realize that almost all of the high end Mac business software is built in C++ precompiled executables and if they use Xcode at all it is just the last step in assembling main.

• Reply 68 of 119
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Windows isn't 'winning'. Windows has won.  It has 90%+ market share for desktop operating systems. How is that 'not winning'?

What's your definition of winning? That's the key. Basic market share seems to be the answer here. 

You don't need to be 90% of the market to be winning. What about profits? What about potential growth?

But, if MS has "won" at 90% share, who really cares? It's the mobile space and profits that matter.

Many tools are moving to the web. Platform doesn't matter often.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, most of our household is iPhone only. We do have one MacBook and a Chromebook, and that is more than enough.

P

• Reply 69 of 119
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Nice attempt at spinning what Cook said. He didn't combine those regions to make up double digit growth.

I'm not spinning what he said at all, just saying read what he said.

Its a lot like when he said "Apple does not offshore money on some island in the Cayman Islands or some other island in the Bahamas" to Congress. That was an absolutely true statement.
  • Reply 70 of 119
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    frood wrote: »

Its a lot like when he said "Apple does not offshore money on some island in the Cayman Islands or some other island in the Bahamas" to Congress. That was an absolutely true statement.

You are spinning.
    1. Cook mentioned in his overview US Mac sales were strong.
    2. Growth rate was 18% across all Mac market segments.
    3. He did not say "combined." He highlighted the regions that were strong.
    4 why even mention US if they were weak?
  • Reply 71 of 119
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

do IDC and Gartner ever correct their numbers after actual reports like Apple's?

• Reply 72 of 119
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

NO

• Reply 73 of 119
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I think that the issue with IDC/Gartner is that they are almost always wrong -- and wrong in the exact same direction.

If one were working with no bias, then sometimes one would under-estimate, sometimes one would over-estimate.  

• Reply 74 of 119
    pringsmuth wrote: »
    It scares me when people start talking about Apple moving away from Intel chips in their Macs. The move to Intel was the reason I started investing in Apple. I am a frequent VMWare user for some key Windows only software that is not available for the Mac. Unless Apple has their own Intel compatible chip in the works, it would be a very bad idea to produce a Mac that is not capable of running Windows software. 

Riiight. Sure. Except was running Windows on my PowerPC Mac back in the day, when I stilled cared about Windows.
  • Reply 75 of 119
    frood wrote: »

Stop making stupid statements.

Or, do us all a favor, and leave.
  • Reply 76 of 119
    so tim cook says the market is shrinking according to idc, but then say mac sales are increasing. what a hypocrit. intel pc revenue increased by 40% and profit by 50%. msft windows revenue by 3% despite drastically reducing the cost of windowd overall. do the maths.
  • Reply 77 of 119
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

They are factual estimates. (However, they could be intentionally or mistakenly skewed).

These statements are issued prior to any/all data being released by Apple so they can only be an estimate based on any number of things.

dictionary.com

estimate

[v. es-tuh-meyt; n. es-tuh-mit, -meyt] IPA Syllables

verb (used with object), estimated, estimating.

to form an approximate judgment or opinion regarding the worth,amount, size, weight, etc., of; calculate approximately:
    to estimate the cost of a college education.

to form an opinion of; judge.

verb (used without object), estimated, estimating.

to make an estimate.

noun

an approximate judgment or calculation, as of the value, amount,time, size, or weight of something.

a judgment or opinion, as of the qualities of a person or thing.

a statement of the approximate charge for work to be done,submitted by a person or business firm ready to undertake the work.

No, "factual estimate" is an oxymoron. It's right there in the definition - an estimate is an approximation, an opinion - not a fact. The statement that "My estimate is..." may be factual; a story that reports that "their estimate is..." may be factual; but the estimate itself cannot be factual.

• Reply 78 of 119
    elroth wrote: »
    No, "factual estimate" is an oxymoron. It's right there in the definition - an estimate is an approximation, an opinion - not a fact. The statement that "My estimate is..." may be factual; a story that reports that "their estimate is..." may be factual; but the estimate itself cannot be factual.

Adding to that, an estimate can be from a source that one considers principled, ethical, trustworthy, reliable, etc. but by definition an estimate is not a fact, although the results may turn out to be factual once they can be verified.
  • Reply 79 of 119
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

A (fact-based, scientifically arrived at) approximation is NOT THE SAME as an opinion.

For the past two Presidential elections, for example, I avidly read Nate Silver and Nate Cohen, followed various polling over months.  In 2008 I correctly predicted the results in 49 of 50 states.  In 2012, I was 50 for 50.  So, in the last two elections combined I have a 99% accuracy rate.

Now, let's be fair: It really isn't difficult to predict what's going to happen in CA or MS.  That leaves us with the 10-ish "swing states" to really have to make any sort of choice.  Out the ~20 swing states that were up for grabs in the two elections, I am 19-20.  I incorrectly gave NC to McCain in 2008.

In today's final Singles at the LPGA International Crown (that's golf), there were 10 Singles matches.  I was 10-10.

An informed prediction is a HELL OF A LOT different than an opinion.

An opinion is something like "Blake Lively has amazing legs," (well, that's practically FACT, but anyways ...) or "Hunger Games" was better than "Catching Fire."

• Reply 80 of 119
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

And Motorola is winning by making all the BlackBerrys. And Windows Phone is winning because its on every Lumina. And there are some Lumina phones with really high resolution cameras! And Surface is winning as the Windows hybrid-tablet that isn't an actual notebook.

Except that nobody is buying those things and they aren't profitable. 

Windows is very profitable.