Public beta launch nearly doubles OS X 10.10 Yosemite adoption despite download issues

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    ascii wrote: »
    A few versions of OS X ago they added a thing where certain apps (e.g. Preview, Quicktime Player) would automatically quit if they had no open windows. This seems to be gone now, they don't quit unless you command-Q them.
    that would be a welcome return, though it don't think the application actually quit; it merely had the glowing bubble removed from the dock, but the process itself was still alive when checking in the Application Monitor.
  • Reply 62 of 93
    sandorsandor Posts: 591member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    You have reminded me ... There was a wonderful 3rd party extension in the days of OS 9 and earlier, the name escapes me now (Dick will know), that allowed an amazing amount of control over folder locations in the open and save dialog boxes. I miss it to this day. In work flows such as yours and mine one could add folders you used either regularly or during a project and it would remember where you opened from and saved to but also have any others you added in a drop down menu. Working in graphics and video this cut my work flow time down enormously and more importantly reduced frustration dramatically. It is a massively missing element to Apple's own open and save dialog boxes IMHO. Someone should write an add on to OS X ... if it is even possible.

    Default Folder? It was always one of the first utilities i installed!

  • Reply 63 of 93
    sandorsandor Posts: 591member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post





    that would be a welcome return, though it don't think the application actually quit; it merely had the glowing bubble removed from the dock, but the process itself was still alive when checking in the Application Monitor.

    The inconsistency of this behavior is what has always annoyed me. 

     

    Dictionary, Notes, Disk Utility, Calculator... these all quit when you close the last remaining window.

    Preview, Mail, Calendar, iTunes... these do not quit when you close the last remaining window.

  • Reply 64 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,428member
    sandor wrote: »
    Default Folder? It was always one of the first utilities i installed!

    Yep thanks, that was it. 8-)

    I remember when i moved to OS X (I started on the beta) I missed this more than anything. Still do!
  • Reply 65 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    sandor wrote: »
    The inconsistency of this behavior is what has always annoyed me. 

    Dictionary, Notes, Disk Utility, Calculator... these all quit when you close the last remaining window.
    Preview, Mail, Calendar, iTunes... these do not quit when you close the last remaining window.

    Thanks for the breakdown in apps.I was merely thinking of Preview, and didn't check apps as I am on my iPad now. Anyhoo, weird behaviour, and I don't see any similarities as to determine which apps should close and which not. I haven't checked 'App Nap'; could that compute?
  • Reply 66 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

    The inconsistency of this behavior is what has always annoyed me. 

     

    Dictionary, Notes, Disk Utility, Calculator... these all quit when you close the last remaining window.

    Preview, Mail, Calendar, iTunes... these do not quit when you close the last remaining window.




    Document-based applications remain open. Window-based applications close. Pretty simple.

  • Reply 67 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The inconsistency of this behavior is what has always annoyed me. </span>


    Dictionary, Notes, Disk Utility, Calculator... these all quit when you close the last remaining window.
    Preview, Mail, Calendar, iTunes... these do not quit when you close the last remaining window.


    Document-based applications remain open. Window-based applications close. Pretty simple.


    Uuuhm, why is there a difference? And what makes you say Mail, Calendar, iTunes are document-based? The only app I would consider document-based would be Preview, and even that one is more or less a read-only app. Notes, Disk Utility, Mail, Calendar and iTunes...I'd consider those databases.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

    Uuuhm, why is there a difference?

     

    Because you use them differently.

     

    And what makes you say Mail, Calendar, iTunes are document-based? The only app I would consider document-based would be Preview, and even that one is more or less a read-only app. Notes, Disk Utility, Mail, Calendar and iTunes...I'd consider those databases. 


     

    Mail because you create documents, Calendar because multiple individual items can be open at once, and iTunes because it plays music in the background.

  • Reply 69 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    Uuuhm, why is there a difference?

    Because you use them differently.
    And what makes you say Mail, Calendar, iTunes are document-based? The only app I would consider document-based would be Preview, and even that one is more or less a read-only app. Notes, Disk Utility, Mail, Calendar and iTunes...I'd consider those databases. 

    Mail because you create documents, Calendar because multiple individual items can be open at once, and iTunes because it plays music in the background.

    Ooh, good point on iTunes, didn't think of that. Mail I see differently as I don't really save individual documents. And with threaded mail, a single window for all my email I see the program, or any email app, as a DB. Guess I have a different view on these apps.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

    And with threaded mail, a single window for all my email I see the program, or any email app, as a DB. Guess I have a different view on these apps.

     

    Now if we could just get Notification Center to STOP OPENING E-MAILS IN A NEW WINDOW in newer versions of OS X...

  • Reply 71 of 93
    sandorsandor Posts: 591member
    Because you use them differently.

    Mail because you create documents, Calendar because multiple individual items can be open at once, and iTunes because it plays music in the background.

    Notes creates documents in the same way Mail does...

    All can have multiple windows open at once.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,671member
    And with threaded mail, a single window for all my email I see the program, or any email app, as a DB. Guess I have a different view on these apps.

    Now if we could just get Notification Center to STOP OPENING E-MAILS IN A NEW WINDOW in newer versions of OS X...

    Hear! Hear! And stop notifying me on anything while I'm in Full Screen Mode. Setting this myself shouldn't be the way.

    Yes, yes, already put in as feedback....
  • Reply 73 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

    Notes creates documents in the same way Mail does...

     

    Oh, hey; look at that.

     

    I’m guessing that the difference is in its source of creation. Mail comes from NeXTSTEP while Notes comes from iPhone OS. One was designed back in the days of “have a ton of separate windows open” and the other in the “no windows, ever” phase.

  • Reply 74 of 93
    sandorsandor Posts: 591member
    Oh, hey; look at that.

    I’m guessing that the difference is in its source of creation. Mail comes from NeXTSTEP while Notes comes from iPhone OS. One was designed back in the days of “have a ton of separate windows open” and the other in the “no windows, ever” phase.

    and thus the reason the inconsistency is so annoying after 10 iterations of OS X
  • Reply 75 of 93
    I installed the beta with minimal problems. But once I shut down my comport iMac, and restarted, it would NOT load, giving me a grey screen. I am in the process of reinstalling Maverick. Has any one else had this problem?
  • Reply 76 of 93
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sandor wrote: »
    and thus the reason the inconsistency is so annoying after 10 iterations of OS X

    I would hate if the Mail app would shut down by simply closing the last window. I would also hate if Dictionary, Calculator, etc. would stay open by closing their only window.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    sandorsandor Posts: 591member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I would hate if the Mail app would shut down by simply closing the last window. I would also hate if Dictionary, Calculator, etc. would stay open by closing their only window.

    to each their own.

    but I would always vote for consistent behavior in an operating system.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

    I really like what Apple has done with the new interface, very pretty but it's defiantly not completely redesigned as they state on their site. I actually think it's time for Apple to do a complete GUI overhaul, though still the prettiest UNIX UI around,  I had just assumed that after a decade with same interface Apple would have come up with something new already. When can we expect the marriage between iOS and OSX, that's what I want. A full fledged tablet OS, iOS 8 is defiantly going in the right direction but is still missing many of those things that I take for granted in OSX and Windows 8, specifically a file manager. It seems like Apple is spending so much time on their mobile stuff lately that they just updated OSX to the bare minimum of what their customer base would call an update. Now, I'm just being picky here as I will of course continue using my Macbook Air with OSX happily for the foreseeable future  So this version of OSX is nice, like their previous update and the one before that but nothing revolutionary or anything specifically that will greatly improve my overall work flow. Am I wrong for feeling this way. I am also getting spoiled with touch interfaces, but I love them, I mean I really love them and want to see all of my toys support this wonderful technology. You have no idea how much I want to be able to fold my MacBook AIr completely back like a Lenovo Yoga, grab my pen and start drawing with Photoshop. I can't even tell you how many times I have accidentally reached for the display and slide my finger across expecting it would change applications, yeah okay I'm spoiled but I don't care, I want these things.

     

    I miss Steve........

     

    P.S. I am very depressed and moody today as I have a fever from an infection, so don't take anything I say to seriously

  • Reply 79 of 93
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post

     

    Adoption and metrics would be reflected as even higher if we could load Yosemite in a Parallels 9 VM...




    I'm fairly confident that Apple is not the least bit interested in how well Yosemite performs in a Parallels 9 VM...  ;-)

  • Reply 80 of 93
    Anyone else having problems with Mail? My POP accounts will not log in. Even when I tried re-entering the passwords in Internet Accounts. My gmail works, but not my POP. Also, it is not letting me send feedback. Anyone else having these issues?
Sign In or Register to comment.