Apple, Inc's double digit U.S. Mac growth contradicts IDC & Gartner reports of a Mac sales slump

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 119
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Patently Apple says Intel is launching a new CPU this fall that will allow for fanless designs but the CPUs will only be for Windows 2-in-1's (presumably so they can go fanless before Apple does). Has Intel done this before and does it signal that Apple needs to think about breaking away from Intel?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/07/intels-14nm-core-m-cpus-launch-this-fall-but-not-for-macs.html

My understanding is that this 14nm Core M is designated for tablets. It might be Intel's decision not to let OEMs use Core M in laptops and desktops. I'm pretty sure it happened before, that Intel on purpose limited usage scenarios for some of their parts. Apple does not do x86 tablets, and MBA might not qualify for Intel's Core M licensing requirements.
  • Reply 102 of 119
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Apple's China's Mac numbers last year were reported to be 1.8M (from the SCMP link). . If they're truly up 39%, or about 700K wouldn't that account for the entire worldwide sales increase of around 660K and then some? The numbers just aren't making sense to me.

Does 660K units allow for almost 40% increase in China Mac sales PLUS at least 10% more in the US, PLUS at least 10% more in Canada PLUS at least 10% more in 7 other regions pretty much covering all of Apple's largest markets? I'm thinking maybe there's some apples and oranges discussed in the conference call. Perhaps Cook is citing some different time frame or different comparables than Maestri was in the conference call?

Don't worry, relax and stop trying to find fault in anything Tim / Apple do or say. You'll just get ulcers. Rest assured, Tim knows far more than you about all this and probably most things. :D
  • Reply 103 of 119
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

There's no profit in the Windows PC market because it's a race to the bottom using crap components.

There's plenty of money in Windows, especially selling to corporates. No company in any of the professional services industries is ever going to  use Macs.

• Reply 104 of 119
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Rest assured, Tim knows far more than you about all this and probably most things. :D

Not sure ALL those others writing and commenting about it do tho. ;)

,,, and I'd wager there's a few things we could all teach Tim Cook if he asked. Many of us are pretty good at what we do just as I'm sure you are.
  • Reply 105 of 119
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    euphonious wrote: »
    There's no profit in the Windows PC market because it's a race to the bottom using crap components.

There's plenty of money in Windows, especially selling to corporates. No company in any of the professional services industries is ever going to  use Macs.

I agree with paragraph one. As to the second one, print out your statement and check it in a decade. There is a massive sea change underway. Not saying Macs will replace PCs, I'm saying PCs won't be in use running Windows.
  • Reply 106 of 119
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey, tool talk, it might help to... ...read...

Could’ve stopped there, really.

• Reply 107 of 119
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps your ability to deconstruct a simple sentence in the English language is far more sophisticated than mine, but as the article notes (you can also look up the conference call transcripts): "Tim Cook specifically noted, "we achieved strong double digit Mac growth across many countries, including the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the UK, Germany, France, Australia, China, India and the Middle-East" during the company's earnings call.""

Add: I see that sog35 beat me to it.

I agree that across the countries including the US, Canada, Mexico, the UK, Germany, France, Australia, China, India and the Middle-East, Apple achieved double digit growth.

That says nothing about the growth in each of the individual countries, other than at least one of them must have double digit growth.

DED has since updated to reflect that Apple clarified this to specifically state they had achieved those results in the US specifically.

Yourself and sog suggesting people read the transcripts is interesting.  If you read them yourself you would see that he never says what DED quoted him as saying and which everyone here is now parroting "Tim Cook said..."  I'm not sure if AI qualifies as a journalist, but if you are going to specifically quote someone, not only should the wording be exact, but the person who said it should also be correctly identified.

• Reply 108 of 119
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    frood wrote: »
    I agree that across the countries including the US, Canada, Mexico, the UK, Germany, France, Australia, China, India and the Middle-East, Apple achieved double digit growth.

That says nothing about the growth in each of the individual countries, other than at least one of them must have double digit growth.

DED has since updated to reflect that Apple clarified this to specifically state they had achieved those results in the US specifically.

Yourself and sog suggesting people read the transcripts is interesting.  If you read them yourself you would see that he never says what DED quoted him as saying and which everyone here is now parroting "Tim Cook said..."  I'm not sure if AI qualifies as a journalist, but if you are going to specifically quote someone, not only should the wording be exact, but the person who said it should also be correctly identified.

Stop playing dumb. You don't play list a group a regions/countries and guess which one has double digit growth.
  • Reply 109 of 119
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    frood wrote: »

You may be right on that picky little point. It may be Maestri who said it, I do not recall. I do not have the time or inclination to go back and look now. I had read the transcript soon after it came out, and subsequently relied on how websites were reporting it.

That does not, in any way, matter for the larger point we are trying to make here about Apple's double digit growth not being just in the US.
  • Reply 110 of 119
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Numbers aren't jiving in my read. According to DED's article "Globally, Apple reported that Mac sales jumped from 3.75 million to 4.41 million year-over-year for its fiscal Q3, a unit increase of 18 percent and a new June quarter record" At the same time Maestri apparently reported that China's Mac sales were up 39% YOY. :???: That would eat up more than half the Mac sales increase reported wouldn't it?

"But it was the 39 per cent increase in MacBook and iMac sales in China (according to CFO Luca Maestri in a Reuters interview) which showed how far Apple has engaged more consumers on the back of demand for the iPhone and iPad. That is especially true on the mainland, the world's biggest market for personal computers.

Cook said the Mac line showed "some substantial strength" amid a slowdown in personal computer shipment growth in most markets worldwide. "China was projected to contract by 5 per cent," he said."
    http://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/1557739/halo-effect-iphone-ipad-lifts-mac-computer-sales-china
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/22/us-apple-results-china-idUSKBN0FR2CU20140722

If the China comments were accurate I don't see where there was room for double-digit growth in all these other markets cited in the AI article seeing as overall worldwide sales were up only 18%. Perhaps I'm just confused and misreading numbers since afterall it is a Monday after a really good weekend. :D

Maybe Sog or one of our other numbers guys can make sense of it.

They are probably big increases from a low base in China. It makes no sense to think that the 39% in China most be half the growth. It depends on the previous number of sales in China.

As for the general linguistic theme here: if a CEO groups otherwise unrelated countries into a "across all countries with double digit growth" list, he means they all individually had double digit growth.

If he was averaging it out he wouldn't need to exclude any countries because overall unit growth was above single digits across all countries. Therefore to narrow down to that specific list is to specify which countries specifically had double digit growth. Individually.
  • Reply 111 of 119
    asdasd wrote: »
    Numbers aren't jiving in my read. According to DED's article "Globally, Apple reported that Mac sales jumped from 3.75 million to 4.41 million year-over-year for its fiscal Q3, a unit increase of 18 percent and a new June quarter record" At the same time Maestri apparently reported that China's Mac sales were up 39% YOY. :???: That would eat up more than half the Mac sales increase reported wouldn't it?

"But it was the 39 per cent increase in MacBook and iMac sales in China (according to CFO Luca Maestri in a Reuters interview) which showed how far Apple has engaged more consumers on the back of demand for the iPhone and iPad. That is especially true on the mainland, the world's biggest market for personal computers.

Cook said the Mac line showed "some substantial strength" amid a slowdown in personal computer shipment growth in most markets worldwide. "China was projected to contract by 5 per cent," he said."
    http://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/1557739/halo-effect-iphone-ipad-lifts-mac-computer-sales-china
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/22/us-apple-results-china-idUSKBN0FR2CU20140722

If the China comments were accurate I don't see where there was room for double-digit growth in all these other markets cited in the AI article seeing as overall worldwide sales were up only 18%. Perhaps I'm just confused and misreading numbers since afterall it is a Monday after a really good weekend. :D

Maybe Sog or one of our other numbers guys can make sense of it.

They are probably big increases from a low base in China. It makes no sense to think that the 39% in China most be half the growth. It depends on the previous number of sales in China.

As for the general linguistic theme here: if a CEO groups otherwise unrelated countries into a "across all countries with double digit growth" list, he means they all individually had double digit growth.

If he was averaging it out he wouldn't need to exclude any countries because overall unit growth was above single digits across all countries. Therefore to narrow down to that specific list is to specify which countries specifically had double digit growth. Individually.

Indeed. And Tim Cook was perfectly clear. It doesn't surprise me that Frood tried to make an issue about it, as he is well-known here as being negative about Apple to a trollish degree. I'm impressed with people's patience with him, as everyone has been stating the obvious many times over, yet falling on deaf ears.

Anyway, excellent article. I'd love it if Apple brought out a 13" iPad. Presumably, IDC and Gartner would still ignore it, because "it doesn't have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine."
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    .... :rolleyes:
  • Reply 112 of 119
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Never is a very long time.

People were saying the same thing about laptops (not enough power, can't run all programs) when it first came out. 

Again this is about VISION.   Some people have it, some people don't.

Given that Compaq had a portable that was a fully powered PC in 1983 I call bullshit.

Again this is about BS.  Some people shovel it, some people don't.

• Reply 113 of 119
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

You may want to as well, since Cook said none of the items that he is quoted as having said =P

Hey supergenius:

Apple spokesman Steve Dowling confirmed Monday that the growth was double digit (i.e. 10% or more) in each of those markets.

http://fortune.com/2014/07/28/pc-sales-estimates-how-the-sausage-gets-made/

• Reply 114 of 119
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Apple just reported a record June quarter of Mac sales.

The numbers just aren't making sense to me.

Well of course they don't.
  • Reply 115 of 119
    IDC has lost a lot of CREDIBILITY. In their business, that is life threatening. Trust is hard to build but easy to demolish.
  • Reply 116 of 119
    daijonesdaijones Posts: 28member
    It's by now well established that these market estimates are BS. So why is it that apple insider continues to post their reports as if they're valid? When the last report came out this very site reported "apple sales did this..." when we all know they did nothing of the kind. If the cardinal rule of comment pages is 'don't feed the troll', the same must be true of above the line content. IDC, Gartner etc are just trolls, treating them otherwise gives them credibility they don't deserve. What was that piece a couple of days back where apple insider passed on figures showing 'other' smartphone makers jumped 40 million in three months? For Christ sake, question this shit, don't just parrot it onwards. And no, an article a few days later pointing out problems in the basis of the article a few days before doesn't count. Just don't feed the effing troll!!!!
  • Reply 117 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Because. Post PC world. Keep up.

Ah this old chestnut again.  Yes friend we live in the Post PC world where everyone uses an iPad and we don't need laptops.  Sigh I truly believe some people are utterly delusional!

• Reply 118 of 119
    sog35 wrote: »
    Maybe its time for Apple to pay some marketing dollars to IDC and Gartner?

God forbid.