iBook: Screen size vs portability

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ik|k comes in two flavours: 12.1" screen and 14" screen

2" bigger screen but also heavier....I am just curious that if that extra screen size really worth the extra weight and size?

If you are to puchase an iBook. Which one you will look for?

Oh. I forgot to mention I already have an iBook .....but even if I haven't had it I still would go for the one with smaller screen. Been having the bulky and heavy Pismo hurting my shoulder for many months I can't stand anything heavier than 6 pounds.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    It is my personal beleif that this 14" iBook is going to live a very short life. It's EXACTLY like the 12" iBook, xcept heavier, and 2" bigger. People like light and 4.9 pounds is pretty light IMHO. but to slap another pound in someones computer is horrible. I really don't think this thing is gonna sell very well...

Mac Guru
  • Reply 2 of 20
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think Apple will seel quite a few of them, but the 12.1" ones will still sell better. Maybe if it wasn't a whole pound heavier it'd be different.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I don't see much reason to have a bigger screen if you're still limited to the same resolution.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    RD, I agree. But in the 14.1"'s defense, it does have longer battery life and a faster CD burner. And at least one analyst thinks it'll sell well

<a href="http://www.worldlyinvestor.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34408"; target="_blank">http://www.worldlyinvestor.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34408</a>;

Of course, analysts are not much better than movie critics, so take that with a grain of salt...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    I had to choose what company laptop I wanted (unfortunately the PowerBook was out of price range) and I went for the 12.1" for the simple fact that there's an abundance of 15" LCDs in the office, so I can just hook up to one of those.

I must admit, I was surprised that they made a completely different case for the 14" iBook... think of the extra r&d and manufacturing costs :eek:
  • Reply 6 of 20
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]Originally posted by RubberDucky:

<strong>I don't see much reason to have a bigger screen if you're still limited to the same resolution.</strong><hr></blockquote>

My feelings exactly. I guess it could help people who had trouble seeing the small screen, but with the same number of pixels spread out over a larger area, would some of the ibooks sharp and clear image be lost? Maybe someone who is at macworld can do a quick comparison.

I know the sharpness and clarity of the previous ibook screen was one of the most complimented aspects of the screen.

I would stick with the 12 inch model if i were to buy.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by Evil Ed:

<strong>I must admit, I was surprised that they made a completely different case for the 14" iBook... think of the extra r&d and manufacturing costs :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well the R&D would be more expensive if they made an entirely new, unique case!

The new 14" ibook sits happily between the 12" iBook and the Ti. And while I would go for the extra portability of the smaller model, I know many people who would go the other way. Besides, I use a Ti and love the larger, wide screen. (I prefer that it's wide more than the fact that its larger.)
  • Reply 8 of 20
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Ugh. I'd never buy it...it's a waste of space, bluntly put. I wish they didn't make the case bigger and instead just expand the screen so that there's a razor-thin bezel like the TiBook...I would be much more inclined to put a good word in for it if the bezel didn't stay the same.

And what's up with 1024 x 768 for a 14.1" laptop screen? How about 1400 x 1050, please? It is $1799, after all.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    yeah I too think they should rather try to squeeze the 13.1" inch screen to the current small case instead of make a 14" model with a bulkier case.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, you know what? I'm officially going on record as saying that the 14" iBook isn't long for this world.

It completely undoes the appeal and coolness of the original model (well, the May 2001 "original model", not the colored clamshell...).

And since it's the same resolution (1024x768), I guess about the only true target audience for it are people with less than spectacular vision?

If the resolution was bumped up to, say, 1152x870 or something, THEN I might see the appeal (larger screen AND more resolution).

But it's kind of one of those weird things that I don't recall anyone ASKING FOR (cough...Cube..cough) and I just don't see it making any significant dents.

People dig the iBook because it IS small, light and compact. This is basically the original clamshell iBook (whose size and weight everyone bitched about), coated in a modern, 2001 iBook glossy white enclosure.

:confused:

I'll be shocked if it's still around come MWNY.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

And since it's the same resolution (1024x768), I guess about the only true target audience for it are people with less than spectacular vision?

If the resolution was bumped up to, say, 1152x870 or something, THEN I might see the appeal (larger screen AND more resolution).</strong><hr></blockquote>

When I heard this announced (just that it was 14" but no mention of the resolution) I was all set to sell my month-old combo iBook 600 to my friend (who has a 4 month old combo iBook 500 and wants the faster processor and bus speed) and upgrade to the 14" since the only thing I don't like about my iBook is the lack of screen space.

But 2 more inches, without actually fitting any more PIXELS on the screen, doesn't do me a bit of good. So my friend is going to have to buy somebody else's combo iBook 600... or maybe just buy the new one.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    My dream iBook is a 12.1" 800mhz 750FX (25% faster at same clockspeed/bus as 750cxe) and radeon graphics. That's all I want. I'll wait until summer.

But yeah, getting back on topic, the 14.1 is stupid, IMHO. I thought they'd maybe put a 13.3" in the same case, trim some of the display case out of the way. The excess display casing make the screen look smaller than it is, IMHO, and is totally unecessary.

Maybe they'll make the iBook smaller yet? like 12.3" diagonal?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    It appears to me the majority of responses to this thread has been pretty negative about the 14" iBook. Not surpisingly, most from current 12" iBook owners. Of course, it's a normal reaction as a way to justify and defend their earlier model purchase.

I ask, why do you think Apple released a 14" model. Because, that was one of the biggest complaints about the iBook--it's size.

There had to be enough complaints for Apple to justify adding a new model to the iBook line.

So I won't be surprised if the 14" is a popular seller. Not a hot seller. But that's not because of the size (or the screen resolution), but because of the value.

If it was a 700mhz G3, it would have made a whirl of difference. If it had was a G4/550 processor, it would fly off the shelves.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Before my current 12" Icebook, I owned a Pismo and a Wallstreet. With the Wallstreet, I never thought much about the size (that is, until I compared it to the Pismo after purchasing one). And when I got the Pismo, the size/weight didn't matter, that is, until I went to Alaska with it, and the size/weight was a huge encumbrance for travelling (and by travelling, I mean more than just taking it in a car).

I also prefer the sharper 12" screen, because of the higher resolution, everything looks sharper, brighter, and font smoothing looks especially good on it. So I'd keep my buy a 12" screen iBook even if I had to pick one today.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Hey Kestral....now you know my pain when I was in Toronto
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Man oh man, when I lugged my blueberry iBook to Ireland for a week, I thought my shoulder was going to fall off on the first day, and it only got worse from there. It never seemed like a heavy laptop before that, but it always seemed huge & clunky to me afterward.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    Has anyone actually got the 14" so we can hear facts and not conjecture. This is the only real test..... even hearing from someone who played with one for a long period at MWSF would be something.

Cheers

adam
  • Reply 18 of 20
    It's no big mystery -- the case is over 1" wider and deeper, the LCD is 14" instead of 12" but still 1024x768, and it weighs a pound more than the 12" model. Otherwise it's the same.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>It's no big mystery -- the case is over 1" wider and deeper, the LCD is 14" instead of 12" but still 1024x768, and it weighs a pound more than the 12" model. Otherwise it's the same.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So basically it's a white Pismo without the PCMIA, irDA, extra Firewire port, monitor spanning. No thanks, I'll pass. Been there, done that.

The other thing to note is that as least for me, I am not a large person by any means, and the 12" iBook felt like a machine that was custom-designed for me.

Leonis: yup, as we both discovered, Pismo is too big and clunky to travel with.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    All I seem to be hearing is "size doesn't matter...", we are talking an extra 2"

No, seriosly I would go for the 14" screen even if it is the same res. Particularly if I want to watch movies I think the extra inches will do alot.

Even though my eyesigth is quite fine (thanks to my lenses) I tried out the 12" iBook some time ago, and desided to wait until after MWSF buying (also in case the spec was boosted). I got real exsited when they announced the 14" iBook and figured I would buy one rigth away. Only when I called my retailer he had a nice offer on an "old" Powerbook so I went with that.

EDIT: oh and I don't need to carry it around alot just sometimes, I mean its not like I'm going hiking with it...

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: :-) ]</p>