Apple refreshes MacBook Pro with Retina display lineup with faster CPUs, more RAM standard

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2014
Apple on Tuesday refreshed its MacBook Pro with Retina display line of laptops, bringing faster Intel Haswell processors and, for the 15-inch models and entry 13-inch model, double the standard memory.

As detailed by the Online Apple Store, the upgraded base model configurations get 200MHz CPU speed boosts across the board with Intel's latest Core i5 and Core i7 processors, while the entry-level 15-inch model now comes with 16GB of RAM standard, doubling a previous 8GB. Prices remain steady save for the high-end 15-inch variant with discrete NVIDIA graphics, which gets a $100 price cut.

The entry-level 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro starts at $1,299 and comes with a 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, and 128GB of PCIe-based flash storage. It also sports 8 gigabytes of RAM, which is double the 4 gigabytes its predecessor packed for the same price.

A $1,499 mid-tier version boasts the same internals, but gets a 256-gigabyte SSD, while the top-end 13-inch laptop sports a 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, 8 gigabytes of memory and 512 gigabytes in flash storage for $1,799. Intel's integrated Iris Graphics chipset makes a return on all 13-inch models.

Two larger-screened 15-inch base models see the same 200MHz CPU speed bump, with the low-end $1,999 version featuring a 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16 gigabytes of memory, 256-gigabyte SSD and Iris Pro Graphics.

As noted above, Apple dropped the price of its top-tier 15-inch model with discrete graphics by $100, bringing the laptop down to $2,499. Inside, the high-end version sports a 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB of RAM, 512-gigabyte SSD and Intel Iris Pro Graphics with a discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics card. For an additional $200, customers can drop in a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 with Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz.

"People love their MacBook Pro because of the thin and light, aluminum unibody design, beautiful Retina display, all day battery life and deep integration with OS X," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "The MacBook Pro with Retina display gets even better with faster processors, more memory, more affordable configurations and a free upgrade to OS X Yosemite this fall."

Word of Apple's updated Retina MacBook Pro line leaked online this past weekend when photos of in-store signage revealed detailed specs for three 15-inch configurations. A subsequent rumor on Monday claimed both 13-inch and 15-inch models would get a refresh today.

The last Retina MacBook Pro update came in October of 2013, when Apple first introduced Intel's Crystalwell-based Iris Graphics chipset to the lineup.

For a full model list, check AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide in the coming hours as more models are made available for order. For instance, MacMall is already taking orders for dozens of configurations, including the five standard retail configurations which will begin shipping out later today or Wednesday at the latest. The other models will take between 5-7 days extra. When using the links in the Price Guides and then applying coupon code APPLEINSIDER01, you'll save an extra 3%. Make sure you have cookies turned on and use the links in the price guides. Orders are filled in the order they are received. Additionally, MacMall only charges sales tax on orders shipped to CA, CO, GA, IL, MN, NC, NY, TN, and WI. For readers who live in one of those states, B&H only charges tax on orders shipped to NY and Adorama on orders shipped to NY & NJ. Both those retailers tell AI they will begin shipping out the 5 standard configs tomorrow, regardless of what the backorder indictor on their online stores say.

MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    andy-ukandy-uk Posts: 26member
    And if you check out the online refurbished store there are some big discounts on the end-of-line clearance stock!
  • Reply 2 of 77
    High-end 15" has a 512GB SSD, not 256GB as stated in the last paragraph above.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    andy-uk wrote: »
    And if you check out the online refurbished store there are some big discounts on the end-of-line clearance stock!

Yeah, there are some pretty good deals to get there, as much as 37% off. The entry MBP is still $1999 with Iris Pro and you can get the 2013 model with the 650M for $1489 (32% off):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE664LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macBook-Pro-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

It doesn't have 16GB of RAM but you can get that for $1649:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0PY0LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macBook-Pro-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

$350 off so you can effectively get the 3 year warranty free or just save the money. Anyone still holding out for a Mac Mini might want to consider jumping on these deals while they are available.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Why is Apple still keeping the Non Retina Macbook Pro? If people are complaining about entry iMac, this MBP is an even worst deal.

• Reply 5 of 77
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I was hoping that Apple would use the revision to revisit their UK prices, but alas they have not. Apple’s pre-tax price of the entry-level 15” model is equivalent to $2265, and our high sales tax of 20% takes the final price to $2718.

Of course Apple can’t do anything about the tax, but a premium of $265 over the US price is not justifiable. I have defended Apple in the past, as it does cost more to do business here and some price premium is to be expected, but this is too much. It is cheaper for me to fly to the US, buy a MBP, and fly back again. Surely this can’t be right?
  • Reply 6 of 77
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    No BTO to 32GB is for my way of thinking an immediate no sale. I will never buy a Mac that limits the RAM to half the standard support.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I was hoping that Apple would use the revision to revisit their UK prices, but alas they have not. Apple’s pre-tax price of the entry-level 15” model is equivalent to $2265, and our high sales tax of 20% takes the final price to $2718.

Of course Apple can’t do anything about the tax, but a premium of $265 over the US price is not justifiable. I have defended Apple in the past, as it does cost more to do business here and some price premium is to be expected, but this is too much. It is cheaper for me to fly to the US, buy a MBP, and fly back again. Surely this can’t be right?

Entry level 15" MBP is $1972 USD in Hong Kong! - I LOVE HK!

• Reply 8 of 77
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    ksec wrote: »
    Why is Apple still keeping the Non Retina Macbook Pro? If people are complaining about entry iMac, this MBP is an even worst deal.

Perhaps, but some people still want a built in optical drive.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Because not everyone is complaining. Many people are very happy with that machine.

• Reply 10 of 77
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Because it's the only real MacBook Pro left?  

I wish they still sold a 15" MacBook Pro.  There is NO current laptop in Apple's lineup that actually fits what I need, and what several of my clients need - an actual professional machine, one with an optical drive, upgradeable RAM, upgradeable hard drive, FireWire, and an antiglare screen.  I really wish they would bring back a couple of truly useful features from even farther back - the ExpressCard slot and the user replaceable battery. 

I still get a client ranting at me at least once a month because Apple pulled the battery stupidity.  The road warriors NEED to be able to carry more battery than will fit inside, and not only did Apple screw the pooch on that, they illegally threatened the external battery manufacturers with a patent violation lawsuit when they were actually buying Apple power supplies and cutting the cords in half to build the adapters.  Guess what?  You can't violate a patent if you're buying the patented component.  But they were a small company, and Apple's threat was enough to destroy those perfectly legal batteries.

• Reply 11 of 77
    mr. h wrote: »
    a premium of $265 over the US price is not justifiable. I have defended Apple in the past, as it does cost more to do business here and some price premium is to be expected, but this is too much. It is cheaper for me to fly to the US, buy a MBP, and fly back again. Surely this can’t be right?

Is it possible to get a return flight from the UK to the US for under $265? Plus hotel fees if you have to stay over.

I agree that the prices should be closer but the premium doesn't seem all that high. £1449-1499 vs £1599 would be nice but I think it's great that there's no longer the £160 extra for the 16GB upgrade. That's one of the best upgrades I've seen Apple do.

The refurb prices are amazing too. Look at this one for £1189 with the Retina display:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FE293B/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

You can even get the 750M model with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD for the same price as the latest entry model:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FE294B/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

That's £400 off because the latest £1999 model is exactly the same spec except slight CPU bump.
    tbell wrote:
    Perhaps, but some people still want a built in optical drive.

I think it might be more to do with the HDD storage. If someone has a lot of content, a 1TB HDD model is $1149. The cheapest model with 1TB SSD is $2299, more than $1000 higher.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No BTO to 32GB is for my way of thinking an immediate no sale. I will never buy a Mac that limits the RAM to half the standard support.

F*ck BTO.  If the chipset supports 32GB (and you're right, I'm sure it does) and Apple is going to be retarded enough to solder the RAM (stupid, stupid, stupid), then they need to ship one configuration - 32GB. 

There is no technical reason for RAM to not be socketed.  1600MHz RAM in SODIMM is readily available.

• Reply 13 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So is this update a stop gap until we get new machines this fall or will we not see Broadwell machines until 2015? Perhaps because this update was pretty minor (no graphics updates for instance) it signals the former?
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

There are several shipping services available that will let you buy at US price and have it shipped to you.  Some of them even operate in US states without sales tax so that US residents can avoid paying it.  I don't know how hard it is to avoid the UK tax, but I doubt the US shipping services care if you pay it or not, so they're not likely to mess up the forms for you if you're trying to avoid it.

• Reply 15 of 77
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I think it might be more to do with the HDD storage. If someone has a lot of content, a 1TB HDD model is $1149. The cheapest model with 1TB SSD is $2299, more than $1000 higher.

Exactly. Some people would rather have more storage of the HDD at lower cost than the speed of the SSD. If Apple were to introduce a Macbook Pro with 1TB Fusion Drive and Retina Display with upgradeable memory (even without the CD/DVD drive) at $1200 price point, it would sell like hot cakes.

But, I don't think Apple will .....

Are you listening, Tim Cook?

• Reply 16 of 77
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a return flight from the UK to the US for under $265? Plus hotel fees if you have to stay over.

No, but it is possible to get a return flight for under $718 which is the saving if bought somewhere in the US without sales tax and by fetching it myself, it is easy to avoid the UK VAT.
    Marvin wrote: »
    I think it's great that there's no longer the £160 extra for the 16GB upgrade.

I would have preferred it if they had kept the RAM at 8 GB and doubled the SSD size. I’m running Mavericks with 4 GB of RAM and have no memory problems.
    darkvader wrote: »
    There are several shipping services available that will let you buy at US price and have it shipped to you.  Some of them even operate in US states without sales tax so that US residents can avoid paying it.  I don't know how hard it is to avoid the UK tax, but I doubt the US shipping services care if you pay it or not, so they're not likely to mess up the forms for you if you're trying to avoid it.

You can’t really avoid the UK VAT that way.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Exactly. Some people would rather have more storage of the HDD at lower cost than the speed of the SSD. If Apple were to introduce a Macbook Pro with 1TB Fusion Drive and Retina Display with upgradeable memory (even without the CD/DVD drive) at $1200 price point, it would sell like hot cakes.

No, Tim Cook isn't listening.  Steve's Reality Distortion Field is still too strong with him.

Maybe the next CEO will bring Apple back to reality on what people actually need in a professional laptop - or perhaps Apple will be too far gone by then.  They're already destroying their professional software market, Final Cut Amateur X isn't an acceptable product compared to Final Cut Pro, and they've killed Aperture completely.  They no longer make a real Pro desktop, they no longer make a real Pro laptop, and they no longer make a server.

I can fix the server and Pro desktop by building Hackintoshes for myself, but I can't sell that to clients.  But that's not a good solution for laptops, and does nothing for the software situation.

My next laptop is going to be a used MBP 2012 15" with 16GB RAM and a 1TB hybrid drive.  I have no idea what I'll do after that, I really hope Apple sees fit to release a professional laptop.

• Reply 18 of 77
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Except that due to its construction the current 13" rMBP's integrated battery has substantially more capacity (71.8 W-h) and endurance (9 h) than the previous 13" MBP's built-in battery (63.5 W-h and 7 h), all while weighing 23% less. Similar comparisons apply to the 15" models. I don't know many road warriors who wouldn't prefer that deal.

Note: I couldn't make a meaningful comparison with the much older Mac laptops with swappable batteries, since other aspects of their design are so different. However they usually achieved less than 3 h battery life, despite having much lower performance than today's product.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    applegreen wrote: »

I don't think they should do that though, I think their current strategy is right. Pushing SSDs will help drive their prices down. Fusion drives would slow down adoption and they aren't as fast or reliable. I would also rather they scrapped the old model entirely.
    mr. h wrote:
    No, but it is possible to get a return flight for under $718 which is the saving if bought somewhere in the US without sales tax and by fetching it myself, it is easy to avoid the UK VAT.

I see and you effectively get a trip to the US included. If you were to get a refurb in the US, it could end up being an even better deal.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    nsgarvnsgarv Posts: 7member
    mr. h wrote: »

No. It would cost more than $265 to fly to the US