Transcript: Moneyline Jobs Interview

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It wasn't that bad at all:

DOBBS: Apple Computer today launching its flagship desktop computer, the iMac, Apple hoping the new product line will lead it out of a slump in the computer industry. The original iMac produced three years ago helped to revitalize the company. CEO Steve Jobs unveiled this new lines of computers at the annual Mac World gathering in San Francisco, and he joins us from there now. Steve, good to have you with us.

STEVE JOBS, CEO, APPLE COMPUTER: Good to be here.

DOBBS: The reception, there's been a lot of talk about the new product line. The fact of the matter is, you've got another winner on your hands?

JOBS: Well, we'll find out soon enough. We just launched it today, so we'll see the orders start to stream in over the next month and we're hopeful.

DOBBS: Now, there were also a number of people looking for the G5 introduction, some other products as well and some disappointed about that. When do we see that?

JOBS: Well, you know, we introduced an all new iMac which is a huge seller for us.

DOBBS: Right.

JOBS: We introduced the new I-book today and anew digital hub application called I-photo, which is sort of the missing link in digital photography. You can't do everything in one day, so we'll just have to wait for that one.

DOBBS: Give us a sense of when.

JOBS: You know, we can't talk about unannounced products, but.

DOBBS: All right. I know a number of people watching you and following you very carefully were, hopefully were looking for that product introduction. One of the things that you have to struggle with at Apple, and despite the fact you've done a terrific job since you came back, driving the company ahead, restoring its stock price. Your stock is up almost what, 60 percent over the past year.

The fact is, you're still locked at five percent of the market. Are you going to be able to break Apple out of that? Because you get ringing endorsements for the innovation in products, for the new marketing and everything else, but still you're at five percent. When do we see the breakout?

JOBS: Well, I'd say a few things. Number one, our share of the personal computer market is larger than either Mercedes or BMW's share of the automotive market. So just to put that in perspective.

DOBBS: Sure.

JOBS: But one of the things we're doing to increase our market share is we've actually opened 27 retail stores in the U.S. And what's interesting, is those stores, those 27 stores in the month of December alone had 800,000 visitors and 40 percent of the customers that bought a computer at our stores didn't own Mac when they bought it.

So, I think we're starting to see a little bit of optimism about that, and I think we're going to really focus on that in the next year or two to try to get our market share up a little bit.

DOBBS: Well, as you try to drive that share of market, at the same time you're in an industry caught in a recession and a tough recession. Do you see the computer industry, the PC industry itself recovering anytime soon?

JOBS: Well, you know right now the winners are going to be the survivors.

JOBS: Because it's a pretty tough industry right now.

DOBBS: Yes. JOBS: But yes, I think what we're focused on right now is that we see the next great age of personal computing coming, and that is where the personal computer becomes the digital hub for all these other cool little digital devices we have, like digital camcorders or digital cameras.

JOBS: DVD players, et cetera, and we're doing a lot of work in that area, and we're getting a lot of good feedback.

DOBBS: OK, well Steve Jobs, as always, it is good to have you here and much continued success.

JOBS: I have to show you one thing before I leave, Lou.

DOBBS: Do we have time?

JOBS: Check this out.

DOBBS: If you can show it to us in two seconds in two seconds.

Oh, that's cool. I will admit that's cool, Steve.

JOBS: Thanks.

DOBBS: Designed, I understand, inspired by the sunflower?

JOBS: We want to keep the flat screen flat.

DOBBS: You got it. Well again, all the very best Steve.

JOBS: Thanks.

DOBBS: Keep promoting -- Steve Jobs. And now, let's turn to Wolf Blitzer for the very latest. His show begins in just a few minutes. Wolf, tell us what's up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Notice what Jobs says when Lou asks him about the G5:

"You can't do everything in one day, so we'll just have to wait for that one."

• Reply 2 of 6
    Dobbs did a good job in that interview. Anyone who thinks that was anit-Apple hasn't a clue. Also it's not CNN's job to be a pitch program for Apple computer. Apple can pay Headline News to do that for them.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    That transcript wasn't exactly what I was expecting after hearing about how Dobbs had ambushed Jobs and ridiculed him. Sheesh. That wasn't bad at all, just a little brief.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I think that was a poor read.

I can't imagine it looked better than it reads.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    i saw the interview and i though it looked poor. Steve was sitting next to the iMac the whole tiem dying to talk about it, then at the end (when they were runing out of time) steve titleted the head a bit and lou, very sarcastic like, said "Oh, that's cool." I'm not even sure if steve was full frame at this point as he was being cut of as Lou tried t ogo to comercial. I say let Fred do those "buisness" interviews and Steve do the demos.

Mike
  • Reply 6 of 6
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by CyberZorn:

<strong>i saw the interview and i though it looked poor. Steve was sitting next to the iMac the whole tiem dying to talk about it, then at the end (when they were runing out of time) steve titleted the head a bit and lou, very sarcastic like, said "Oh, that's cool." I'm not even sure if steve was full frame at this point as he was being cut of as Lou tried t ogo to comercial. I say let Fred do those "buisness" interviews and Steve do the demos.

Mike</strong><hr></blockquote>

"Oh, that's cool. I will admit that's cool, Steve."

That doesn't sound sarcastic at all...in fact he goes on after that to ask how the design was inspired.

My real point in posting the transcript was Jobs comments about the G5....no one seems to care about that though