Rumor: 'iWatch' production hits snags, will not begin until Q4 2014

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Perfect. Now forward your comment to the site operator.

1) The people that write for the site do read the comments.

2) I have made such a request and even proposed that if they hire people to create unique mockups of rumours they may generate even more traffic.

3) Why would assume that I hadn't made such a request? What does that say about you?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If only this stuff didn't generate page views (yeah I know I'm contributing to it by commenting). Who cares about some obscure Asian news source that claims a rumored Apple product is going to be delayed because of alleged comments from a rumored Apple component supplier for said rumored product. Sigh.

You are going to be continually disappointed with tech media coverage as long as you continue to read tech rumor sites. Well, you might still have a problem if you only read old-school media like Fortune, the New York Times, and the Journal, but it appears that insistently set yourself up for media coverage disappointment by reading tech blogs.

No one here can help you, only you can decide to stop reading tech rumor sites on your own.

The other option is to reset your expectations when visiting rumor sites.

Personally speaking, I see rumor sites (BGR, MacRumors, 9to5Mac, AI, and others) to be parody, for entertainment purposes only.

Good luck.

• Reply 23 of 44
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Executives at longtime Apple supplier TPK -- thought to have been selected by the iPhone maker to manufacture touch modules for the so-called "iWatch" -- are said to have revised earlier forecasts for a profit uptick in the third quarter, pushing the expected surge back by three months in what is seen as an indication that Apple's wearable is suffering from delays.

Just from the first paragraph...

... thought to have been selected...

... so-called "iWatch"...

... seen as an indication...

DED likes to hold IDC and Gartner accountable for their reporting accuracy. Will he ever do the same for AI?

AI is in the business of sharing rumors.  This story even says "Rumor" right there in the title.

IDC and Gartner are (supposedly) in the business of providing (paid for) data.  DED takes them to task for deliberately twisting their data.

There is a difference.

• Reply 24 of 44
    Production snags are great news! This means Apple is doing something hard and the copycats will take longer to catch up.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    ronwp54ronwp54 Posts: 8member
    Let me use my ESP powers for some future predictions:
    2015: rumor the iPhone 7 is experiencing production delays and may have limited availability.
    2015: rumor the new rumored iTV is having production problems and may not be available until Q1 2016.
    2015: the new iWatch 2 is experiencing production problems and may be delayed
    2016: rumor the new iPhone 8 is experiencing production problems and will have limited supply at launch
    etc....
    Anyone willing to challenge my predictions?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) The people that write for the site do read the comments.

Yes, but it's easy to miss any given comment since there are so many of them. Do you read every single comment carefully?

Heck, based on the number of typographical errors on this site, you should know better than to expect than to expect the site operators to go through their site with a fine-toothed comb.

• Reply 27 of 44

I don't have a problem with a rumor site carrying the latest contradictory rumors...  but to write "the latest in what appears to be a series of delays suffered by Apple's hotly-anticipated wearable device" goes a bit far.  I don't know ANYONE who's "hotly-anticipating" an iWatch.  Not ANYONE.

Since this is a rumor site, my anecdote can be held up as truth.  :)

• Reply 28 of 44
    mpantone wrote: »
    Yes, but it's easy to miss any given comment since there are so many of them. Do you read every single comment carefully?

Heck, based on the number of typographical errors on this site, you should know better than to expect than to expect the site operators to go through their site with a fine-toothed comb.

More baseless assumptions.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Production snags are great news! This means Apple is doing something hard and the copycats will take longer to catch up.

Plus the great thing about all the rumors is they must drive Google and Scamsung nuts running around like headless chickens trying to figure out what to copy and anticipate and beat Apple to the releases. I've long advocated that Apple should have a department dedicated to creating fake products, patenting things they will never use and leaking stuff.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Plus the great thing about all the rumors is they must drive Google and Scamsung nuts running around like headless chickens trying to figure out what to copy and anticipate and beat Apple to the releases. I've long advocated that Apple should have a department dedicated to creating fake products, patenting things they will never use and leaking stuff.

This just in!

Apple is getting into the shipping business and will be spending BILLIONS on their new product - the iiCaptain.

Rumour has it that this magical and revolutionary product category will be launching (see what I did there?) later this year!
  • Reply 31 of 44
    The best concept* I've seen is the Kairos that [@]Relic[/@] posted awhile back. It offers elegance of a watch with the functionality of modern wearable. There are definitely downsides that make me think Apple would have scrapped this as an option. For instance, being mechanical added, cost, complexity, weight, and thickness (as one would expect) but being mechanical makes certain modern computing functions, like wireless charging, much harder, if not impossible, to implement.

[VIDEO]

*[SIZE=2] It's still not available but it's apparently past the design and will be shipping between December 2014 and March 2015, depending on the model you choose.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 32 of 44
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Here we go again, a rumor about a rumor ... Wall Street are you taking notes?

I agree! WTF!

A rumor about rumored production of a rumored device.

The only thing that boggles my mind... all the "leaks" of the rumored iPhone 6, yet not a single leak of this supposed "iWatch". How exactly is that possible? So either the iPhone 6 leaks are fake or the rumored "iWatch" is just... wishful thinking.

• Reply 33 of 44
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    When I see these horrible mockups, I immediately realize that the whole rumor is as fake as these images.

EVERY time Apple is about to release something, there are these idiotic rumors about delays. Genius of them is that you cannot disprove them.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I don't know ANYONE who's "hotly-anticipating" an iWatch.  Not ANYONE.

I'm hotly anticipating an iWatch! Just because you don't know us doesn't mean we're not out there! /s
  • Reply 35 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Something to put this all in perspective, I think we all seen enough bits and pieces of the iphone 6 to believe it is more real than not. We just do not have the skinny on the all the specs of this product.

Now, think about how well Apple keeps things under raps until they get to show off the new widget they came up with. If the iphone 6 bits are slipping out why not bits of the so call iwatch. You can image Apple is using most of the same supply chain who appears to be allowing bits of the iphones to slip out, why not the watch or wearable they are working on.

I made this observation before, it is kind of interesting we all seen bits of the iphone 6 enough to know what it is and is not. I suspect that Apple was doing it on purpose, letting the rumor mill generate buzz for them which allow consumers to hold off a purchasing decision to a competitors larger display product.

So either apple got sloppy with the iphone and let things slipped out then we should have seen bits of an wearable by now, or they now using the rumor sites to help them keep consumers from make a jump before they have time to put out a new product. 

So what do you think Apple is doing.

• Reply 36 of 44
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... in what is seen as an indication that Apple's wearable is suffering from delays.

Oh well.  That means iPhone "6" (and iPhone "Air"?) will get more attention before the "iWatch" hogs the spotlight.

Oops.  Forgot about the updated iPad Air and iPad mini.  And whatever updates Apple makes to the iPod lineup.

Still plenty of announcements to be made this year before "iWatch."

• Reply 37 of 44
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Pilfered this from another website-

'TPK, a company rumored to exist and rumored to work with rumored US tech company Apple, is alleged to be mentioned--in supposed blog GforGames, according to hints suggested by another possibly-existing web site UDN--as being a rumored supplier for a rumored-to-exist iWatch product (not depicted in these speculative concept images) or some other possible product, whose rumored schedule is rumored to have slipped due to rumored issues with hypothetical flexible displays rumored to use a rumored new touch technology which is speculated to have problems that Apple is rumored to be surprised by, as apparently reported by sources familiar with the potentially real web site MacRumors.'

• Reply 38 of 44
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

... So either apple got sloppy with the iphone and let things slipped out then we should have seen bits of an wearable by now, or they now using the rumor sites to help them keep consumers from make a jump before they have time to put out a new product. 

So what do you think Apple is doing.

I think Tim Cook knows that he will never be able to force all component suppliers to stop all leaks.  Factory workers are not highly paid, and I'm sure the leakers get cash for the components and/or photos.  So sneaking a circuit board or backshell out of the factory for a photo session could be a way to boost income.  (And if the part is brought back before anyone notices it's missing, then nobody gets in trouble.  Maybe.)

But how does this affect Apple?  Well, the average consumer probably doesn't read AI or any other rumor site.  They wouldn't know a printed circuit board from a cheese grater anyway.  And when it's time to replace their feature phone, it's likely that they'll drive their family car straight to the AT&T / Verizon / T-Mobile store in the nearest mall and buy what the sales clerk tells them to buy.  Unless they have read Consumer Reports and have already picked out a model.  So component leaks don't directly affect the average consumer.

On the other hand, Apple fans, technophiles, and self-appointed "alpha geeks" tend to read sites like AI.  And if an average consumer knows one of these technophiles, that consumer might ask the technophile for advice on buying their first smartphone.  And that technophile (if they own an iPhone and are an Apple fan) would tell the consumer "Buy an iPhone.  But not just yet.  Apple is about to release at least one bigger, better, faster, thinner, prettier, all-new iPhone this year.  Wait until September for the first one. In the meantime, check out this cool rumor site called AppleInsider..."

So rumor sites may help to build mindshare among consumers, but only indirectly by informing consumers' techie acquaintances.  And, as we've seen, technophiles and alpha-geek-wannabes* tend to join one side or another.  (E.g. Apple vs. Google vs. Microsoft vs. BlackBerry vs. Samsung ad nauseam.)

{ * I remember when "geek" meant "someone so face-down in the code or circuit diagram that they can't relate to normal people any more."  

Now it means "someone who likes to use gadgets." }

• Reply 39 of 44
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    ronwp54 wrote: »
    Let me use my ESP powers for some future predictions:
    2015: rumor the iPhone 7 is experiencing production delays and may have limited availability.
    2015: rumor the new rumored iTV is having production problems and may not be available until Q1 2016.
    2015: the new iWatch 2 is experiencing production problems and may be delayed
    2016: rumor the new iPhone 8 is experiencing production problems and will have limited supply at launch
    etc....
    Anyone willing to challenge my predictions?
    OK, then...focussing on 2015:
    The delays to the iPhone 7 are only affecting the 6.8" model, the 5.9" model is still expected to ship on time, whenever that may be, but may not have the crystalline diamond screen of the premium model.
    The "iTV" "production delays" are partly due to pending legal action from Elgato over their EyeTV brand, and some British television production company. Also there have been some issues with machining it from a solid block of aluminium. Jony Ive has apparently been reluctant to allow them to break the smooth elegance of the finish with an actual screen.
    The delays in the iWatch 2 mean it may not see production until after the iWatch 1 ships, which will no doubt mean the imminent death of Apple.
    sockrolid wrote: »
    { * I remember when "geek" meant "someone so face-down in the code or circuit diagram that they can't relate to normal people any more."  
    Now it means "someone who likes to use gadgets." }
    I remember when "geek" used to mean someone who bit the heads off chickens in a circus side-show. Now it seems it just means someone who obsesses over stuff.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    You guys should just change your name to applerumors because you rarely report on fact and love to hype the rumors as if they are fact. Maybe you could show us an IDC chart or something to make it seem more real....oh wait, IDC is as reputable as Moody's or the S&P.