Apple adds Fox Now, CNBC channels to Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    So many cheapskate thieves.  No wonder my cable bill is getting higher every year
    I use my parents Comcast login for Watch ESPN because Disney doesn't have an agreement with DirecTV.

I wish Apple TV had a universal login so you only has to validate your cable info once.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Something is cooking...

• Reply 43 of 75
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s perfectly applicable. You’re breaking the law, as well as the contract your friend signed for service in the first place. If discovered, the account will be terminated and legal action could be taken.

Wow. Then... maybe you don’t get to watch them? Seems like a pretty simple concept to grasp.

Enjoy sharing that prison cell with Bubba B. Bubbington the 3rd.

His example did not fit.  My friend and I didn't decide to go to the local cable company and steal a box, then splitting access.  My example was better; Bonnie has a bank account and chooses to share her money or safety deposit box with me.  See?

And yeah, I COULD torrent some of the shows.  I choose not to.  The simple concept to grasp is that my friend shares her programming with me.

• Reply 44 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Even though I'm no fan of the cable companies, I have to agree with sog35 here.

Using a friend's WiFi is not the same as sharing an online cable account.  Let me clarify the scenario a bit:

When you get a wireless router from your ISP, they give you permission to share your internet connection with any number of devices in the same household.  The same goes for your cable TV package: you are allowed to watch cable on any number of TVs/devices in the same household.

The problem is that you are not in the same household as your friend.  Thus, by using their cable TV account, you are violating the terms of service for the cable provider (one TV connection per household).  What you're doing is akin to tapping into your neighbour's cable line and splitting it into your house (which is illegal).

I don't agree.  If your neighbor has wifi and offers you to use his/her network, is it stealing from the ISP?  Not at all.

• Reply 45 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

The simple concept to grasp is that my friend shares her programming with me.

Illegally.

I don't agree.  If your neighbor has wifi and offers you to use his/her network, is it stealing from the ISP?  Not at all.

Yes, 100% it is, and it’s also against every ToS of every ISP.

• Reply 46 of 75
    atsysusaatsysusa Posts: 44member
    Original by digital clips:

"Leaving aside the use of someone else's credentials, I had no idea you could run an Apple TV using OTA antennae. How does that work? I must be missing something here in the AD conversion area."

Has nothing to do with Analog to Digital conversion. Just purchase a state-of-the-art HD TV antenna and attach it to your HD TV. You get all of the local broadcast content over the air and much better quality than you get via cable.

Why? Cable providers have to supply TV, Phone and Internet via 1 cable. OTA HD is pure digital and the channel is 100% devoted to transmission of the content.

If the crap that overwhelms Cable is of no use to you, you can forget cable by adding an AppleTV or Roku to you setup and pay only for what you watch.

After my latest Comcast billing fiasco I am seriously investigating this alternative.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

While I'm happy to have more content on ATV, channel navigation is getting out of hand ... The ATV couldn't be farther from Steve Jobs claims of having "cracked" the TV problem. Unless this is what Jobs had in mind, in which case he clearly "cracked" his head.

Apple needs to get serious about this before they add many more channels ...

OBVIOUSLY the interface and functionality is going to be completely revamped. However, the addition of content and partners is a separate issue, and I'm glad Apple continues to plot forward with this, with Apple TV becoming more content heavy by the day. I'm sure this will assist whatever strategy they have for it in the future, the current UI is just temporary and in a holding pattern until that is fully worked out. 

• Reply 48 of 75
    Don't care if access to these services require a cable subscription. The cable companies fighting tooth and nail to keep their local monopolies.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    mac_128 wrote: »
    While I'm happy to have more content on ATV, channel navigation is getting out of hand ... The ATV couldn't be farther from Steve Jobs claims of having "cracked" the TV problem. Unless this is what Jobs had in mind, in which case he clearly "cracked" his head.

Apple needs to get serious about this before they add many more channels ...

Please.
    Nobody claimed ATV was Steve cracking it. AppleTV pre-dates the appearance of that quote in Isaacson's biography by several years. Everyone assumed at the time it was a reference to a rumor that Apple was planning to sell a TV.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So many cheapskate thieves.  No wonder my cable bill is getting higher every year

Cancel yours too. They can't raise prices if no one is paying them.

• Reply 51 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy sharing that prison cell with Bubba B. Bubbington the 3rd.

Where on the moral compass do I find rape jokes?

You're all just shills for The Man! I just torrent the hell out of everything. COME AT ME BRO! REVOLUTION!

• Reply 52 of 75
    Quote:

Actually my prices have not gone up in 7 years.

I just like to say that line because its true for most people.  Most consumers pay for the theft of a few.

That's what I thought. We just can't afford cable anymore and my parents don't use their digital log in so as far as I'm concerned, it's not any different than if they were using it themselves. I just don't feel bad "ripping off" a monopoly like Comcast.

• Reply 53 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

Where on the moral compass do I find rape jokes?

I’m surprised at you, sir! The Bubbington family is one of the wealthiest on the western eastern seaboard, and are of upstanding physical character.

Bubba the 3rd is in prison for embezzlement of company funds. White collar crime.

Hey, I didn’t say moral character.

• Reply 54 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ....on the western eastern seaboard...

On the what? It's a miracle that they were even able to find him.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

It is based on their terms of service.  One connection per household -- is that so hard to grasp?

I _get_ the fact that you're trying to "stick it to the man" and don't believe in anything.  However, the law will not agree with you if/when the time comes to defend your position.

On a side note: if you take that position, then you shouldn't expect other people to pay for anything you create/provide if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society.  Everyone lives long enough to reap what they sow.

• Reply 56 of 75
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    I wouldn't touch either with Ted Cruz's 10mm pole.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

It is based on their terms of service.  One connection per household -- is that so hard to grasp?

I _get_ the fact that you're trying to "stick it to the man" and don't believe in anything.  However, the law will not agree with you if/when the time comes to defend your position.

On a side note: if you take that position, then you shouldn't expect other people to pay for anything you create/provide if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society.  Everyone lives long enough to reap what they sow.

I'm not a "stick it to the man" kind of guy, actually.  I also love how you say "if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society." Quite a presumption on your part, but I won't take it personally since you don't know me nor what I contribute :-)  

And on that note, I am finished with this thread.  I do appreciate the feedback and your (and others') position on the subject.   I just disagree and I'm enjoying saving $.  Peace.

• Reply 58 of 75
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

I'm not a "stick it to the man" kind of guy, actually.  I also love how you say "if/when you actually decide to contribute something to society." Quite a presumption on your part, but I won't take it personally since you don't know me nor what I contribute :-)  

That's good to know.  Now consider that a whole bunch of people have found a way to get out of paying you for whatever you create/do (based on whatever terms of sale or service you set).  That's exactly what you're doing with internet/cable service.

• Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:

So is cable all of a sudden a God given right?  If you can't afford it you have the right to steal it?

So just because they are a monopoly its okay to steal from them?

Do you also steal from your electric company?  They are a monopoly too.

If you can't afford cable and must have it go live with your parents.

There is no excuse for stealing.  Unless you are dying. 

Haha alright.  When/if the cable companies stop trying to play hard ball with everyone and offer up things the way they should be, they'll get my money again. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my free tv and let you enjoy your bill.

• Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:

You should get a real job and then you would be able to afford paying your bills.

Till then you should live with Mom & Dad and enjoy free cable.

I'll work on that "real job" I don't have. In the meantime, I won't pay for tv and you will and since your bill hasn't changed for 7 years, it won't affect you at all.