Apple releases iTunes 12 beta with 'elegant new design,' Family Sharing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    markbriton wrote: »
    More importantly, does the screen shot mean we'll have to start paying to subscribe to appleinsider :-O

Wouldn't that be hilarious? :lol:

How so? I paid for a 1 year subscription, € 7,99 or something. App is only useful for ad-free articles, not the comment section, which for me is the main reason for visiting this site.
    shriner wrote: »
    "Show Duplicate Items" is missing in this -- just like it was in the release of iTunes 11.0. Be sure to send feedback/file a bug if you use this feature!

Showing duplicates works fine for me in 11.3
    docno42 wrote: »
    palegolas wrote: »
    Is it snappy?

Ah, the eternal quest for "teh snappy" - I'll find out here as soon as my machine reboots....

EDIT: Good news - it is much faster. Finally!

Also for renaming files? Because that is still a drag. Slow and only one of my 8 cores do the work. It really looks like it isn't a multi-core, multi-threaded app at all.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Love the new look of the Get Info window. It's so much cleaner. </span>

Wish you could actually edit ALL the metadata there.

Wish you could actually edit ANY METADATA AT ALL in iBooks...

Still not? Geez, can't understand how they can oversee such a flaw. Yup, gave them feedback on it, but that won't mean it'll become a 'known issue' hehe

Who's the fool in charge of iBooks, Mr. ROM¿
  • Reply 43 of 58
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    What way do you see devices you connect via USB?
  • Reply 44 of 58
    vegaonevegaone Posts: 1member
    I highly doubt that the visual parts of the design are anywhere near final. Theres NO transparency in the sidebar and somehow the UI in the upper part has not yet been well combined with the OS's own window buttons (close, minimize, full screen). Right now, everything seems to be "to low", especially when on a 27" screen - the account dropdown and the search field appear to low. And most apparent this becomes when looking at the "collision" between the rewind/play/ffwd and the OS buttons. I would expect them to at least align everything like they did with Safari, where the funky three circles are actually lower and vertically centered to the browser controls.

But I really like the new content structure, this dropdown solution from the current version was just a click to much. :)
  • Reply 45 of 58
    tmrjijtmrjij Posts: 1member

The overall design is made to be simple yet still Apple. Nobody needs the old skeuomorphic design since everyone knows how to use a smart device or modern computer. I don't know about some of you guys, but I don't spend 5 minutes admiring the ui of an app. I actually use it.

• Reply 46 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I’m a fan of the new album backdrops they’re doing. They take the artwork, blow it up to whatever the width of the iTunes window is, and blur the heck out of it. I liked the old way (where iTunes calculated the first, second, and third most prevalent colors on the album and used the first as a background, second as the text color and third as the highlight color), and they kept 2 and 3 of that, but the new background fits the rest of OS X’s language and does it in a way that isn’t garish or awful (like some things iTunes has done).

• Reply 47 of 58
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member

Those playback buttons look really awkward besides the window controls.

If XCode 6 have this play button inline with the window controls, why doesn't iTunes have them that way too?...

• Reply 48 of 58
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Love the new look of the Get Info window. It's so much cleaner. </span>

Wish you could actually edit ALL the metadata there.

Wish you could actually edit ANY METADATA AT ALL in iBooks...

The new version in Yosemite does allow editing the Title, Author and Category fields for .pdf's. I guess they do read the feedback from people after all. Think I'll copy the new version 1.1 over to my 10.9 Mac.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I guess they do read the feedback from people after all.

Hardly. Haven’t we always been able to do that?

• Reply 50 of 58

Noticed this little number in iTunes today. Not sure how I feel about it: it’s closer to parity with the Apple TV’s operation (which is good news for the Apple TV), but double-clicking and just getting my movie to play where I left off was convenient.

Also the box is pretty ugly right now. I’m sure they’ll fix it by launch.

• Reply 51 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Noticed this little number in iTunes today. Not sure how I feel about it: it’s closer to parity with the Apple TV’s operation (which is good news for the Apple TV), but double-clicking and just getting my movie to play where I left off was convenient.

Also the box is pretty ugly right now. I’m sure they’ll fix it by launch.
    [image]

That is also in iTunes 11.3 so I think it's complete. I would also prefer for video to simply start off where they were previously stopped on iTunes.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is also in iTunes 11.3 so I think it's complete. I would also prefer for video to simply start off where they were previously stopped on iTunes.

Ugh, that’s awful.

• Reply 53 of 58
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shriner View Post

"Show Duplicate Items" is missing in this -- just like it was in the release of iTunes 11.0. Be sure to send feedback/file a bug if you use this feature!

Better than a "show duplicate items" is perhaps better detection of duplicates so they don't happen accidentally. Given that iTunes Match seems to be able to tell when something is a dupe, why can't iTunes. It would also be nice if there was a way for a song that appears on several albums in identical form to only need one file that is smart enough to know that it belongs on album 1, 2, 3 etc. You see it happen with 'complete my album' on the store.

• Reply 54 of 58
    shriner wrote: »

Huh? It's a beta, so nothing's definite yet. Besides, in 11.3:

• Reply 55 of 58

Yes, it's in 11.3.

But it was not in the *release* version of 11.0.0, so the fact that it's not in the beta of 12.0 could be an intentional design decision (which is my point...)

• Reply 56 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Huh? It's a beta, so nothing's definite yet. Besides, in 11.3:

[image]

They have moved that options around in the Menu Bar so perhaps he just missed it.
  • Reply 57 of 58

I have been using the new Itunes for a couple of hours now and I'm incredibly disapointed. The metadata editor is pure garbage. It is useless when editing audiobooks.

I cannot agree that the UI is elegent. It is flat, ugly and the fonts are horrible.  The podcast GUI is a mess.  A nightmare if you listen to a lot of podcasts.

I expected much better from Apple.

• Reply 58 of 58
    Can somebody perhaps shed some light pertaining to buy now, download later option? Is this still valid on itunes 12 or just itunes 11? Also, is there a limited period as to when the file needs to be foenloaded by?