What Apple *should* have done

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Embedded/ce.NET/evaluation/news/fromms/mira.asp"; target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Embedded/ce.NET/evaluation/news/fromms/mira.asp</a>;

If Apple had made the screen on the iMac pop off, and work wirelessly as a sort of tablet, I would be pre-ordering one yesterday. Alas, they didn't.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    The spot in which the imac sits in the product line needs to keep the cost down. It's as simple as that. Please don't try to tell me something like that wouldn't cost a whole lot more.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    The Airport antenna is already integrated, it shouldn't be tough to write a very lightweight OS that could run in Flash Memory on the monitor, and all the legwork is still done by the iMac base.

The most expensive part would be allowing the monitor to recognize touch inputs. I'd rather have that than a superdrive.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Well let's see?

1024 width x 768 height x 24 bits x 3 colors x 60 Hz refresh is 3.477x10+9 bits to send via AirPort per second.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by RubberDucky:

<strong>The Airport antenna is already integrated, it shouldn't be tough to write a very lightweight OS that could run in Flash Memory on the monitor, and all the legwork is still done by the iMac base.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't think it would be "tough" to write an OS that includes tablet/stylus support, handwriting recognition, and APIs for developers to use so their apps will actually work on this fantasy device? I happen to think it would be rather tough, and that development and manufacturing costs would drive the price of the unit well into the $3000 range. And people thought the Cube was an expensive flop ...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]1024 width x 768 height x 24 bits x 3 colors x 60 Hz refresh is 3.477x10+9 bits to send via AirPort per second.

<hr></blockquote>

Microsoft manages it with Terminal Services. Why couldn't Apple?

[quote]You don't think it would be "tough" to write an OS that includes tablet/stylus support, handwriting recognition, and APIs for developers to use so their apps will actually work on this fantasy device? <hr></blockquote>

You can't possibly tell me they've just completely discarded their Newton OS technologies, can you?

Developers wouldn't have to do a thing. All the work would be done on the iMac, whether it's sending the display over a network or through the actual monitor connections, it should still be showing the same thing.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Then you have to stick the video card in the display. Also the display would have to be the computer. You going to pipe Q3A and FPC edit windows over airport?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I wouldn't expect, or ask to be able to run Quake or FCP if the display wasn't attached. Technical issues aside, it would suck to try and do that with only a pen input.

I would, however, be able to browse the web, check email, control music, etc, etc, etc from my couch, or outside, or wherever.

Think of it as a lightweight PDA with a very large display screen. It would need very very little storage space (enough to run the lightweight OS, and the client to connect to the desktop), and almost no horsepower.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Umm... Anybody else read Popular Science? I got the newwest issue today and in their "what's new" section, they feature an HP that goes from desktop (which bears some design concept similarities to the new imac) to laptop w/roatating screen, to touchscreen tablet, and all with an 18 inch LCD. Now granted, there are no production plans, and no mention of what it would cost if there were. It doesn't look like they have the blurb on their website, or I would have linked to it. Anyway, this means at least that it is possible.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>Well let's see?

1024 width x 768 height x 24 bits x 3 colors x 60 Hz refresh is 3.477x10+9 bits to send via AirPort per second.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, it's 8 bits x 3 colors, for 24 bits total.

At any rate, it's very easy to get around that worst case for everything except video and 3D games: Just relay user actions, and what's changed on screen.

I share your skepticism about this, though. You'd have to accept reduced functionality in tablet mode - in fact, you'd have to give up the very kind of functionality that Apple's pushing hardest right now. HP's 18 inch tablet would have to choose between a huge (hot, expensive, heavy) battery and miserable battery life. Overall cost is prohibitive.

These look like gee-whiz presentations to distract from the fact that there's nothing really exciting going on in the PC world right now. Apple doesn't have to roll out a tablet as soon as someone else does. They shouldn't roll one out until they can settle on a design that is actually useful and affordable. Judging by the long history of tablet computers (even ones that are "tethered" to a base), that's an elusive goal.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

No, it's 8 bits x 3 colors, for 24 bits total.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right you are. So divide by 3 and that ... changes nothing at all.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]Think of it as a lightweight PDA with a very large display screen. It would need very very little storage space (enough to run the lightweight OS, and the client to connect to the desktop), and almost no horsepower. <hr></blockquote>

then...why not buy a lightweight PDA with a very large display screen? Honestly though, you've got to just pick the right machine for the job.

I don't try to make toast in the microwave, so I don't see why you'd try to make a PDA/laptop out of an iMac monitor.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: poor taylor ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Or with 32-bit, 8-bits per color and another 8-bits entirely wasted.