Ford ditches BlackBerry for Apple, will deploy 9,300 iPhones among employees

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DonPedro View Post

Only BlackBerry smartphones comply with the ministry’s security standards for use with Secusmart’s technology...

And what distinguishes their standards from those of the countries using iDevices?

• Reply 42 of 68
    joninsdjoninsd Posts: 74member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I am calm, but you answered a question that wasn't directed at you. My questions to you were rhetorical.
    I am calm, but you answered a question that wasn't directed at you. My questions to you were rhetorical.

If by quoting someone on here makes that conversation exclusive then these comment sections would be fairly small. It was an open question that was directed at someone else, not even you. Everything everyone says in an open forum is fair game, so I say again, calm down.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    "As of 2013, Ford had about 181,000 total employees, so the more than 9,000 iPhones the company plans to distribute won't put a huge dent in its workforce"

I don't think that's a relevant comparison -- why would ford provide a smartphone to assembly line workers? The relevant number would be the total number of white collar employees.

I think the relevant number would be the total number of phones that Ford supplies to its employees - not the number of employees or a white collar/blue collar segregation.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    almondroca wrote: »
    Interesting...Ford dropped Microsoft's SYNC only to adopt Blackberry's QNX operating system for the console. Seems like Ford ditches the worst technology at the moment.

My last 3 vehicles have been Ford Escape's - and I really do like the vehicle. I'm due for a new one in the next 15 months and unless Ford supports CarPlay by then, I'll be choosing a different vehicle this time 'round.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    OVER 9000!!!
  • Reply 46 of 68
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't care to hear someone bad mouthing any platform.

Totally agree with you, and think this dancing on a pre-prepared grave of a competitor is really weird.  Well done Apple and all, but I don't want Blackberry to vanish, they're a decent competitor to Apple, they haven't ripped anyone off or done anything untoward, unless you count completely predictable and understandable comments from the CEOs praising their own platform (and if you do, you don't get how it works).

I'm in the camp hoping Blackberry will bounce back; I quite like the look of the Passport phone, they have a good, though immature, OS, and by all accounts I've seen their security is still market leading.

There's plenty of room for Apple and Blackberry to coexist, I'd much rather see Apple taking customers away from Samsung and Android, a more natural rival, and one where there is a better cause for grievance.  Even then, bad-mouthing and gloating is unnecessary and unseemly.

• Reply 47 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    crowley wrote: »
    Totally agree with you, and think this dancing on a pre-prepared grave of a competitor is really weird.  Well done Apple and all, but I don't want Blackberry to vanish, they're a decent competitor to Apple, they haven't ripped anyone off or done anything untoward, unless you count completely predictable and understandable comments from the CEOs praising their own platform (and if you do, you don't get how it works).

I'm in the camp hoping Blackberry will bounce back; I quite like the look of the Passport phone, they have a good, though immature, OS, and by all accounts I've seen their security is still market leading.

There's plenty of room for Apple and Blackberry to coexist, I'd much rather see Apple taking customers away from Samsung and Android, a more natural rival, and one where there is a better cause for grievance.  Even then, bad-mouthing and gloating is unnecessary and unseemly.

Blackberry hasn't been a credible competitor for years. They have really fallen.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

They're certainly not as popular as they were, but what about them lacks credibility?

• Reply 49 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Blackberry hasn't been a credible competitor for years. They have really fallen.

They probably would still be a major player if they had released something similar to the Z10 instead of that god awful Storm.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Where did I say that it was Apple's fault? The fault is theirs alone. It is all about choice, but in a few years those choices are going to be severely limited.

Survival of the fittest. How many car companies were around 80-90 years ago. How many are left.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    jungmark wrote: »
    Survival of the fittest. How many car companies were around 80-90 years ago. How many are left.

There were way too many. Most lasted no more than a few years. Would you say that there are way too many manufacturers for the market to support? They were surviving just fine a few years ago, and there were less people buying cell phones.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    But but but Steve Ballmer said it has no keyboard so how are they gonna do email on the iPhone???
    Have you seen his fingers? He was speaking for himself I think. Only a large, sweat resistant keyboard works for Monkey Boy ... shudder!
  • Reply 53 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    donpedro wrote: »

This is why - On Monday, Germany’s Federal Ministry of the Interior said it wants more of its officials using encrypted BlackBerrys. Only BlackBerry smartphones comply with the ministry’s security standards for use with Secusmart’s technology, he said Monday. A bit more - German publication Bild recently reported that the country’s interior ministry was looking to buy 20,000 ultra-secure smartphones

Perhaps they should talk to IBM, I am pretty sure the new Apple / IBM team will be able to supply them with a solution that will make them happy in the very near future. Security and a phone from this century.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

Interesting...Ford dropped Microsoft's SYNC only to adopt Blackberry's QNX operating system for the console. Seems like Ford ditches the worst technology at the moment.

Maybe they can update the picture in my Ford's console:-

Very Blackberry like.

• Reply 55 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Manufacturers weren't dropping like flies back them. They were all making money.

Yes they were, Phillips, Sagem, Siemens, to name a few, during Nokia's surge to dominance.

They pulled out because they weren't making money.

• Reply 56 of 68
    hill60 wrote: »

Yes they were, Phillips, Sagem, Siemens, to name a few, during Nokia's surge to dominance. Their half hearted attempts at making a cell phone died rightly so. Where's Palm? What remains of its carcass can be seen over at HP. Nokia, gone. BB, Motorola, HTC, LG will be gone shortly if they don't figure out how to turn things around.

Really? Last I checked those companies are doing just fine
  • Reply 57 of 68
    There were way too many. Most lasted no more than a few years. Would you say that there are way too many manufacturers for the market to support? They were surviving just fine a few years ago, and there were less people buying cell phones.

Who says there aren't too many cell phone companies now? It's their job to make us want to buy their wares.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Who says there aren't too many cell phone companies now? It's their job to make us want to buy their wares.

A much smaller market supported all of them just a few years ago. A bigger market would do just the same if not better.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    A much smaller market supported all of them just a few years ago. A bigger market would do just the same if not better.

Yea. Technology advanced, they didn't see it coming. They got lazy. Instead of welcoming Apple, they criticized it for being different.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Yea. Technology advanced, they didn't see it coming. They got lazy. Instead of welcoming Apple, they criticized it for being different.

I prefer complacency. I've seen so many long standing businesses lose out to a similar business but just a little different. The place to get auto parts in NYC used to be R&S Strauss, they went out of business only to be replaced by Auto Zone, and Advanced Auto Parts. Before Subway we had Blimpie's, and almost all of those are gone. It's mind boggling how many CEOs are asleep at the helm.