Microsoft updates OneNote for iOS and Mac with OneDrive access, file insertion, more

Posted:
in Mac Software edited August 2014
Microsoft on Tuesday rolled out a major update to its Apple-centric OneNote product line, adding new features like access to notes stored in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online, inserting files and note reorganization and sharing.

With OneNote version 2.3 for iOS and version 15.2 for Mac, users now have greater control over note creation, organization and access.

According to Microsoft, a big want on customers' feature request lists was access to notebooks stored in OneDrive. Today's update brings that functionality to Mac owners, granting desktop access to notebooks stored in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online, the latter being a subscription productivity service in Office 365.

The update also brings universal features like file insertion and document viewing to Mac, iPhone and iPad. Users can now insert Office documents, PDF files, PowerPoint decks and other content directly in to their notes. Viewing of the same media is also supported within OneNote or through Quick Look.

For iOS, expanded share sheet integration allows users to insert pictures and files originating in other apps like Mail. PDF documents can also be inserted as printouts, facilitating in-app annotation.

OneNote's new organization features are fairly basic, allowing users to change the order or move notes to other notebooks, which can now be created on iOS devices. In addition, formatted content from webpages and other apps can now be copied and pasted into notes.

Access control has been enhanced to lock or unlock password-protected note sections created in OneNote for Windows.

Finally, OneNote for Mac now lets users send notes via email as part of the message body, a welcome change from the previous solution of tacking them on as PDF attachments.

OneNote for iOS is a free 92.4MB download from the iOS App Store, while the Mac version comes in at 243MB and is available from the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    243MB? Wowza...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    I'm glad that MS is putting its software behind Apple products. I could almost forgive them for screwing over the computer industry for decades.

Microsoft has seen the future and it's not WIndows...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Yeah but why would we want to invest time and information in a M$ product that is really only there to help keep M$ relevant.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I really like OneNote, I have even canceled my EverNote subscription because it, which was a days worth of work exporting everything. I think I've accumulated over 1GB of notes. I'm really hoping that the new iPad gets an active digitizer now because of apps like OneNote. I've absolutely fallen in love with sketching out ideas and writing everything down with my Surface Pro 3 but it's way too big to carry around. I don't want another Samsung Note as I'm done with Android devices that don't use a 100% pure Android build direct from Google, besides Touchwiz is just horrible beyond comprehension. An iPad mini would be the perfect size, unfortuantly I highly doubt Apple will accommodate me, maybe though, especially now that Apple is upping their game in Enterprise. In the mean time I will defiantly grab a new Nvidia Shield tablet to tie me over until the new iPads come out, it has an active digitizer pen, 1080p, that new awesome K1 CPU, 2GB RAM, not to mention built in HDMI and USB 3 and has a really cool Bluetooth gaming pad so I can play those Nvidia/Steam only titles while sitting in the hospital. My husband brought me my little Vivitek Qumi Q7 projector and my son let me use two of his Xbox 360 controllers, I'm having an absolute blast playing games on my Nokia 2520. Regardless of what people say about their not being any decent games for Windows 8 I have like 20 installed now, all top notch games, have you guys played Modern Combat 5 yet, so much fun, I'm also playing Halo; Spartan Assault, Asphalt 7: Heat and Nova 3 right now. There just mobile games but look fantastic on a my little 720P beamer.

I think I've mentioned this before but I'm in the childrens cancer ward, anyway while I was playing MC5 I had the volume kind of high on my 2 little Nokia Play speakers (great little Bluetooth speakers, a must buy!) and one by one kids started to piling into my room, I had 3 in my bed and four in my roommates bed, we had a lot of fun. Though we alarmed the nursing staff when they realized none of the kids were in their rooms. One of kids parents brought in a PlayStation 4 for us to use so once a day now after lunch all of the kids pile into my room for a gaming session. While 3 to 4 are playing on the beamer the rest have one of my tablets, I only brought three but I should have brought more. It was kind of cute, yesterday I had fallen asleep during one of or sessions and when I woke up I had two sleeping on top of me. The nurses have told me that all the children talk about is going to Relics room to play games after lunch, I even heard that one of the children kicked their parents out during a visit because he didnt want to be late to the game party. The staff have even been using it as an assentive, okay take a nap so you can be rested to play games. Basically I've become the wards adopted mommy, so now I'm never alone, with kids coming and going through out the day, the only problem is I never get the play, they hog the controllers. So to rectify this.....

I'm going to buy 10 Nvidia Shield tablets with their controllers and 10 normal Nvidia Shield handhelds as donations to the ward. They don't have much in the way of entertainment for the kids, their little nursery has old toys with missing parts, lots of old books, especially coloring books that have already beenn colored in, there is a big TV though and each individual bed has a little monitor with HDMI and composite inputs. So those who can't move from their bed could plug in the Shield and play games. I contacted the Nvidia office in Switzerland and they put me in touch with their public relations girl who was an absolute splendid person to talk with, she needs to get autborization but it looks like for every Shield product that I purchase for donation their going to match it with another, including T-shirts, accessories like bags, HDMI cables and cases, games of course and other Nvidia Swag. So I figure I'll buy 10 tp 15 depending on the deal Nvidia gives me and with another 10 from Nvidia the ward should have enough for everyone. It's a small gesture on my part, I just want to see these little guys happy. The Shield tablet with A controller and Shield Portable really are good products for kids, it's built tough, fast enough for whatever game they throw at it and now that Steam is releasing their full fledged PC titles like Doom 3, Portal 2, Team Fortress and Half Life 2 for it, kids won't be stuck with just playing mobile titles. I have to say though games like Modern Combat 5 are getting pretty darn close to console level, I am seriously impressed with this game.

Nvidia Shield Tablet with new controller.
    [IMG]http://shield.nvidia.com/images/tablet/tablet-controller-pair-1280.jpg[/IMG]

Nvidia Shield Portable, also has built in HDMI which is important, kids can connect it to their little TV's.
    [IMG]http://shield.nvidia.com/images/portable/portable-3qtr-hero-1280.jpg[/IMG]

What do you guys think, with the deal Nvidia gave me these are pretty perfect for them, right? I know an iPad would have probably been better as there is more games but their just too expensive, plus I would have had to purchase the HDMI dongle for each one which are easily lost, a bluetooth controller and to be honest playing games through the HDMI dongle just isn't very good, at least no where as good as the Shield. Plus Nvidia was just so quick to respond, more then happy to help and even offered to deliver the devices to show the kids how to use them. The kids will most likely have to wear their Nvidia Shields t-shirts and have a photo taken of them for the Nvidia corporate site but its a small price to pay for free swag. Plus it would be fun for them for the kids to open up their toys. Granted they won't be able to take them home but I talked with the hospital and Nvidia about this and they might start selling the Shield portable in their Kiosk, heheh, gimme a day and I can negotiate anything. I did thiss because you know there is no way one of those kids will allow their parents to take them home from the hospital without one of those gaming devices. Relic, spokesperson for the new Nvidia Shield, I'm making cards now.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    jimtjimt Posts: 16member

relic...bless your heart!

• Reply 6 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

You can play Half Life 2 on a Shield?  I thought it was Android based?

That's a great story Relic, hang in there, the world needs more of you! :)

• Reply 7 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I'm glad that MS is putting its software behind Apple products. I could almost forgive them for screwing over the computer industry for decades.

Microsoft has seen the future and it's not WIndows...

Yeah ... but there are such better software companies out there to choose from to run on our Apple equipment ... just die Microsoft ...
  • Reply 8 of 31
    jimt wrote: »
    relic...bless your heart!

Thank you but it was more of a selfish gesture, I want to play games too! It's hard not to do anything, this is something I know they would appreciate, I was going to donate money to the ward anyway, this way I can not only see what my money is doing but this actually might be a start of something new for me. I'm not working right now and I'm getting kind of bored. If I can strengthen my relationship with Nvidia which I'm off to a great start by the way, I think this something that I could take to childrens hospitals throughout Switzerland. I know lots of wealthy people who donate wihout ever getting envolved. If I can get convince enough of those sponsers I will make sure that every child who is suffering in a hospital bed will have something to smile about. This is also great marketing for Nvidia as it's a way to introduce their products to a whole lot of people, not only the kids who are sick, but siblings, hospital staff, heck even the parents. Nvidia sees this and are willing to try, so I will see how it goes this time and then expand my efforts to another hospital. I got the idea after talking with public relations office for Nvidia, these people are just fantastic and are willing to help, I just need to start getting money together. Its time for a good old fashion benfit.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    crowley wrote: »
    You can play Half Life 2 on a Shield?  I thought it was Android based?

That's a great story Relic, hang in there, the world needs more of you! :)

Yep, Steam is releasing their entire catalog for the Shield.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Yeah ... but there are such better software companies out there to choose from to run on our Apple equipment ... just die Microsoft ...

They released Office for iPad and now OneNote, what more do you want from them, geesh man.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OneNote is good software, I use it pretty much every day on Windows and Mac and am very happy with it.  Don't let old rivalries influence you into making petty decisions.

• Reply 12 of 31
    relic wrote: »
    They released Office for iPad and now OneNote, what more do you want from them, geesh man.

I already said what I want ... die Microsoft die ...

Of course I am kidding! I really want a long slow painful decline into obscurity and oblivion and over at least a decade. :D
  • Reply 13 of 31
    crowley wrote: »
    OneNote is good software, I use it pretty much every day on Windows and Mac and am very happy with it.  Don't let old rivalries influence you into making petty decisions.

Believe me, after all these years, I'd be thrilled if Microsoft's claim to fame ends up being for a good piece of software for the Apple devices called OneNote. :D
  • Reply 14 of 31
    A quick note, the release can't access notebooks stored on sharepoint.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    This is a bit misleading. From my experience the ONLY place you could store data for OSX OneNote was on OneDrive There is no local storage of data - you must be online and "connected to the cloud".

I use OneNote heavily under Windows for work. With local storage. I tried OneNote for OSX because I wanted the same functionality on the Mac. After trying out Mac OneNote and finding you had no local storage I removed it from my Mac and wrote a note to Microsoft stating my reasons why.

I am willing to bet that local data storage was the biggest request Microsoft gets. Build a real app that allows you to store info locally Microsoft, and you will get my business.

I don't need a half-baked product the requires you to store all your data in the cloud. All note taking solutions that force you to use the cloud for storage are a failure.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    msimpson wrote: »
    This is a bit misleading. From my experience the ONLY place you could store data for OSX OneNote was on OneDrive There is no local storage of data - you must be online and "connected to the cloud".

I use OneNote heavily under Windows for work. With local storage. I tried OneNote for OSX because I wanted the same functionality on the Mac. After trying out Mac OneNote and finding you had no local storage I removed it from my Mac and wrote a note to Microsoft stating my reasons why.

I am willing to bet that local data storage was the biggest request Microsoft gets. Build a real app that allows you to store info locally Microsoft, and you will get my business.

I don't need a half-baked product the requires you to store all your data in the cloud. All note taking solutions that force you to use the cloud for storage are a failure.

Isn't it just like Microsoft to do the job 9/10 of the way. I applaud MS for thinking of Apple first, but to see a half-arsed job is like MS is putting their corporate logo on the almost- finished product.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    The only thing preventing me from using OneNote is it's inability to take notes with audio. I suppose I could simply record the audio using another app then insert that into the document but what a mission when apps like AudioNote and Notability can do it internally. Hell even Evernote can do it but I don't like Evernote because you need an always on connection to the internet for it to work which I don't always have because my iPad is not 3G.

Otherwise it's not a bad app at all.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Isn't it just like Microsoft to do the job 9/10 of the way. I applaud MS for thinking of Apple first, but to see a half-arsed job is like MS is putting their corporate logo on the almost- finished product.

It is finished product, but to MS vision... or lack of it. Even Widows Phone version of OneNote does not have access to local storage, only cloud. x86 versions can access both.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    The only thing preventing me from using OneNote is it's inability to take notes with audio. I suppose I could simply record the audio using another app then insert that into the document but what a mission when apps like AudioNote and Notability can do it internally. Hell even Evernote can do it but I don't like Evernote because you need an always on connection to the internet for it to work which I don't always have because my iPad is not 3G.

Otherwise it's not a bad app at all.

Even the recent versions? Windows Phone version definitely can record (and insert) audio clips into notes. I was under impression that iOS version is on the same level with WP version...
  • Reply 20 of 31
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Even the recent versions? Windows Phone version definitely can record (and insert) audio clips into notes. I was under impression that iOS version is on the same level with WP version...

So can the Android version but the Windows Mobile 8 version is much better at audio. You can always insert the audio after recording it from another app. Audio notes are pretty important to me too.