Another Apple page briefly mentioned mysterious 'mid-2014' 27-inch iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2014
Apple may have accidentally tipped its hand on two imminent hardware releases this week, with support pages from the company referencing both new Mac mini and 27-inch iMac models listed with a "mid-2014" launch.

A reference to an updated Mac mini was first discovered on Tuesday, and French site ConsoMac chimed in on Wednesday with a separate mention of a mid-2014 iMac. Like the Mac mini, the reference was included in a chart detailing which versions of Microsoft Windows are compatible with Apple hardware.

Other than that, nothing is known about the mid-2014 iMac, such as internal specifications or screen resolution. Customers have been clamoring for a revamped iMac with a high-resolution Retina display for some time, but there has been no concrete evidence that such an update is imminent.

Apple's page has since been updated, but a Google cache still shows a reference to two new iMac models in 2014.

The company did introduce a new low-end model last month with MacBook Air components. That new 21.5-inch iMac reached a lower starting price of $1,099, a savings of $200 off the next nearest model in the same size.

But the 27-inch iMac has not seen an update yet this year. It's currently available in two default configurations: A model with a 3.2-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and a gigabyte of video memory for $1,799, and a higher end 3.4-gigahertz Intel core i5 model with twice the video memory for $1,999.

While Apple's new 2014 low-cost iMac was rumored before its launch, there have been no such indications of an impending refresh for the 27-inch variety before the listing appeared on the company's website. The same goes for the Mac mini, which hasn't seen an update in two years.

As such, it's possible that both references may have been errors on the company's part. Or it could be a rare slip-up for Apple, which is known for its legendary secrecy regarding future product plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    4K iMac here we come?
  • Reply 2 of 52
    4K iMac here we come?

I am hoping the same thing!
  • Reply 3 of 52
    acatomicacatomic Posts: 60member
    4K Mac mini here we come? :)

Seriously, I can't wait for the new Mac Mini to come out.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    acatomic wrote: »
    4K Mac mini here we come? :)

Seriously, I can't wait for the new Mac Mini to come out.

I personally think every Mac mini should have Apple TV built in, plus a digital TV signal (over the air) tuner card.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I personally think every Mac mini should have Apple TV built in, plus a digital TV signal (over the air) tuner card.

Would love this.  Or even just build a DVR and OTA tuner card right into ATV.  One menu to rule them all.

• Reply 6 of 52
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Sounds to me like a forthcoming processor speed bump, and maybe a base RAM bump, similar to this week's MBP minor upgrade.

I'd like to see both a retina iMac display and the corresponding 27" freestanding cinema display, but it's not clear that Apple is ready for that yet. There are potential prices issues: a well optioned 27" iMac already runs about $3K (we have 5 of them).

• Reply 7 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    IMO anything 4K from Apple will be announced at an event, not via silent update or press release only. Apple for sure will have a couple events this fall and I have to believe it will be more than just new iPhones and iPads.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Would love this.  Or even just build a DVR and OTA tuner card right into ATV.  One menu to rule them all.

You need several TerraBytes worth of disk space to make a DVR worthwhile - my TiVo has a 3TB HD, my EyeTV setup on the MacPro a 4TB drive.  

The AppleTV is out of the question, the current model has 8GB storage, that is not enough for a single 1 hour recording.  Even with the MacMini you would need an external HD for it to be practical... Also a single tuner, while better than nothing isn't practical vs. 6 tuners on the TiVo.

• Reply 9 of 52
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Serious question... How much engineering work would go into a "simple" upgrade of the Mac mini? Same form factor just something along the same processor/memory upgrades we would have seen in the 2012-2013 iMac or would expect in a 2013-204 iMac refresh?
  • Reply 10 of 52
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Serious question... How much engineering work would go into a "simple" upgrade of the Mac mini? Same form factor just something along the same processor/memory upgrades we would have seen in the 2012-2013 iMac or would expect in a 2013-204 iMac refresh?

Probably not a lot, especially since chips are putting out less and less heat so there's less stress on the cooling system and they don't require as much power. Now cost? That may be an issue. I'm not sure what the cost difference is between a dual-core i5 and a quad-core i5 like whats in the iMac. I'm not sure if they could use a quad-core i5, still sell it at $599 (USD) and make the profit they want on it. They do sell a quad-core i7 Mac mini and a Mac mini server with the quad-core i7, but those are higher price points. I think the issue simply comes down to cost and not engineering or power. 

The lack of a Mac mini update either means they're going to permanently EOL it, or there's a major update coming for it. In the recent history of the Mac mini, it hasn't been updated very much.  

• Reply 11 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

I wouldn't hold your breath on that tuner card. It would negate a major point of the ATV, being those apps. Don't see apple confusing that front.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Please be true.

• Reply 13 of 52
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Seriously, Apple could increase Mac sales by merely getting on the same predictable upgrade/refresh path as iOS. I have been ready to trade in my 2009 iMac for a while now, but don't want to miss an important bump up. There must be a lot of us out there waiting for a reason to give Apple our money. As someone else said earlier, how hard is it to improve an existing form factor at least? Leaving money on the table, Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macxpress wrote: »
    The lack of a Mac mini update either means they're going to permanently EOL it, or there's a major update coming for it. In the recent history of the Mac mini, it hasn't been updated very much.

AI has notoriously called for the Mac mini's EOL because of the long delays in updates. Because of its low volume and low cost, which I equate to also being a low margin, entry-level machine Apple has little motivation to update this machine often. I don't think it's going anywhere and could see a major change to the internals, like PCIe-SSD over the 2.5" drive, but I can also see them maintaining the 2.5" drive design for a couple more year, as well.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    macxpress wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the cost difference is between a dual-core i5 and a quad-core i5 like whats in the iMac. I'm not sure if they could use a quad-core i5, still sell it at $599 (USD) and make the profit they want on it.
    Why not just offer the better CPU as BTO option--let the consumer decide the price he is willing to pay?
  • Reply 16 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why not just offer the better CPU as BTO option--let the consumer decide the price he is willing to pay?

If it was the same socket and removable that might be an inexpensive option but they have to build these before hand. If they don't think the unit sales would warrant the expense then they won't do it. How many Mac minis are being sold a quarter?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

plus a beer spigot...

and a pretzel warmer

and a... pony.

• Reply 18 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    4K iMac here we come?

This obviously the small screen version. :D
  • Reply 19 of 52
    plus a beer spigot...
    and a pretzel warmer
    and a... pony.

It's not unreasonable to expect greater entertainment options in a consumer-centric computer like the iMac. A DVR or digital TV tuner would fit the profile.
  • Reply 20 of 52

This obviously the small screen version. :D

Make that base 1/2 the height and we've got something.