Rumor: Sapphire display seen as unlikely for 'iPhone 6' amid production woes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    lloydbm4lloydbm4 Posts: 37member

Based on what we have seen in video's so far of leaked screens, isn't the iPhone still using glass, but with an impregnated layer of sapphire on top? 

• Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

with an impregnated layer of sapphire on top? 

Oh yeah, THAT'S what I need... a passel of bastard mini-screens screaming at me all day... "Touch me! Touch me!" "I need a swipe!"

No impregnated screens giving birth in MY pocket, thanks.

• Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Corning just reported their earnings, and Gorilla Glass sales for last quarter were about flat and projected sales for next quarter are only up about 10%. If Apple is not going to use sapphire one might think that Corning would have received huge orders for Gorilla Glass for those tens of millions of iPhones Apple is expected to produce.

Unless they are trying to pull an 'Apple' and giving a low guidance.

However, with the way the Corning head has been talking crap about Sapphire, I think your inference is good.

• Reply 24 of 34
    twiselltwisell Posts: 27member
    Quote: Form original Article

Analysis of the iPhone 6 supply chain indicates related component suppliers need to ship products to OEMs for assembly in June 2014 to meet the September launch date. Yet, the research institute did not discover demands for smartphone cover glass. The sapphire glass version new iPhone will be issued in limited volumes this year, mostly because sapphire ingot manufacturers yield rates were lower than forecasts and issues involved in sapphire glass processing. 

The whole article relies on Spahire market, not even considering direct orders like the Apple/GT. This look like a major logical flaw to me.

• Reply 25 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Twisell View Post

The whole article relies on Spahire market, not even considering direct orders like the Apple/GT. This look like a major logical flaw to me.

I dunno; no one, anywhere, knows anything about that market at all, so who can say?

• Reply 26 of 34
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    which country do these rumours belong too?... is does not matter if the sapphire market is 10% down, Apple is insulated from any Sapphire market woes... now the other Guy
    that is making Sapphire have big problems...
    remember GTAT warned Apple way back about Sapphire market woes, Apple does not care because they effectively " leased" GTAT for the Sapphire requirements Apple needs.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    But don't those sapphire ingots take something like 60-90 days to "grow" then process and cut! Difficult material to cut as well...
    14 days
  • Reply 28 of 34
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Downstream component makers would have had to begin shipping the sapphire display covers to Apple's assembly partners in June to meet the company's September deadline, market research firm TrendForce <a href="http://press.trendforce.com/press/20140728-1516.html">said</a>, but those shipments have not yet appeared. .
    So are they saying 'no' screen shipments for the iPhone 6 have appeared? Of any sort at all?
    I find that very hard to believe at this late stage in the game and since GG shipments are flat, that would indicate no screen at all.
    Eh?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    This is all to do with manipulation of GTAT stock i suspect.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    haar wrote: »
    which country do these rumours belong too?... is does not matter if the sapphire market is 10% down, Apple is insulated from any Sapphire market woes... now the other Guy
    that is making Sapphire have big problems...
    remember GTAT warned Apple way back about Sapphire market woes, Apple does not care because they effectively " leased" GTAT for the Sapphire requirements Apple needs.

I follow this closely as I own GTAT as well as AAPL. Given GT Advanced Tech are mainly the makers and suppliers of the equipment, not manufacturers of sapphires themselves, I keep wondering if the media / rumor mill has this wrong a bit. That in fact, Apple have had GT Advanced Tech build them their own plants and supply the technicians to run them. Rather than the way it seems to be understood at the moment, i.e. GTAT would be supplying sapphires to Apple. So, in my theory, Apple took a large share holding in GTAT perhaps to secure preferential terms and supply of the equipment and expertise not to mention secrecy. That's my two cents for today's rumor mill ...:D
  • Reply 31 of 34

At some point ya'all will get tired of reading circular drivel and these stories will stop generating revenue for AI. Then they'll stop being published.

The sooner the better.

• Reply 32 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    In the meantime Kyocera of all companies is now selling a smartphone with a sapphire display, the Brigidier. Verizon is even sucking up most of the upfront price and selling it for $100 w/contract. Sapphire must not be all THAT expensive. :???:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/kyocera-brigadier?&zipRdr=y
  • Reply 33 of 34
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    That's the key: the new beam process. Using old manufacture tech to judge the material is mistaken.