Response from Universal re CD copy protection

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Like many here' I sent off an email to Universal when they announced that they were copy-protecting all of their CD's, rendering them unplayable in Macs and DVD players. In return I received the following canned response:

Thank you for your feedback regarding copy protected CDs. We

appreciate your opinion, as the consumer experience with the music we all

love has always been a priority at the Universal Music Group.

Unfortunately, over the last few years, the music industry has been faced

with a growing problem of unauthorized CD "ripping" leading to illegal

Internet distribution of music - a practice that is hurting everyone from

recording artists to songwriters to record stores. This illegal copying is

taking place on a massive scale, with literally millions of copies being

made without any compensation to the creators of the music. If a way is

not found to protect the music from these abuses, recording artists,

songwriters and many others will be deprived of their livelihoods. The

changing economics could cause fewer new artists to get a chance to find

their audience.

Universal Music Group is committed to protecting the rights of our artists,

songwriters, and copyright holders, and, like the rest of the entertainment

industry, is evaluating emerging technologies to assess their viability while

also attempting to maximize the consumer experience. In addition,

Universal is exploring new ways to make music available in a variety of

online formats. We are also working with technology companies on new

offline formats that appeal to consumers.

We have licensed copy protection technologies developed by others and

are experimenting with the integration of those technologies into some of

our CDs as a first step in measuring their effectiveness in an evolving

marketplace. While the CDs with copy protection may not be playable in a

limited number of CD players, UMG is currently working with our

technology providers to achieve 100% playability. We also hope to

include Macintosh-based playability on copy-protected discs in the future.

We have not finalized our plans for 2002 nor have we made a commitment

to put copy protection on all of our CD releases.

UMG has also established <a href="http://www.musichelponline.com"; target="_blank">www.musichelponline.com</a> to provide

consumers with support and to answer any questions you may have

concerning copy protected CDs.

We appreciate your business, and your support for the musicians who

bring so much to all of our lives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Universal is full of shit along with the rest of this tired and antiquated Business Paradigm. I love the way the act like the "caring" nurturer of music when in fact the Music Biz is "Bottom Line" if they don't think your music will sell...it's not distributed. Most artists receive peanuts per album sale and are expected to tour nonstop to generate an real money. Those fancy videos you see on MTV and thebox are taken out of the artists profits as recoupable items. So in essence Record Companies are basically saying to Artists...."You make the music...we own and distribute it and you get to keep a few scraps". Let's face it...the ONLY thing that these people provide is Marketing and Distribution. Talent is inate in Artists...they, in the past, have relied on the Distributors to let the World experience their talents. Now ..with the Internet....Self Distribution is a viable possibility and the RIAA and backed by the Distributers has launched an all out offensive to ensure that they control the Distribution of music on the Internet when in fact a little elbow grease for a Band or Artist could net them much more profits. Despite the warm hearted wording of that response Distributors are cold hearted and care nothing of the music beyond how many units they sell. I and I hope many others aren't fooled by these Charlatans.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    All I have to say is **** Universal.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Funny, I just got the exact same email from them. I remember debating whether or not I'd get a personalized email when I sent them my angry message...

I guess not.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Well, they aren't getting any purchases from me. I copy everything into iTunes and soon onto my iPod and rarely play actual CDs.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Anyone know of a link to a list of their catalog?

Thanks,

SM
  • Reply 6 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Bullshit. I buy lots of CDs, but I VERY rarely ever play the actual CD. I play them on the iPod, on my Mac (mostly here), play MP3 CDs, and CDs with playlists I create.

95% of the MP3s I have are ripped from CDs that are sitting in a holder in my living room.

These guys are ****ed.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I don't get it.

Why not just copy it to (digital) tape or other and import it into iTunes and burn or similar?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I own about 300 CD's. There are a few illegal copies in there (maybe a dozen) So I've cheated a bit, but on the balance I've given the record companies a lot more money than I've stolen. I like how they leave out the nice amount of change they get from blank CDr levies. Bastards!

But I have faith that it won't be long untill some-one posts a crack. It's annoyning but this time I don't think they be able to challenge it. And the reason is simple. If I need to crack the copy-protection just to play the disc, then my posting the info and programs to do the same doesn't amount to 'Theft'. There is an implicit understanding (and a standard) that CD's play in CD drives. I'm just helping people access their 'fair use'
  • Reply 9 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>I don't get it.

Why not just copy it to (digital) tape or other and import it into iTunes and burn or similar?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Becasue we should not have to go out of our way to put OUR music on OUR OWN MP3 players...

Damn. I don't even want to support Universal anymore. THey have been on my shit list eve3r since their Jurassic Park DTS fiasco and now this...

• Reply 10 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>I buy lots of CDs, but I VERY rarely ever play the actual CD. I play them on the iPod, on my Mac (mostly here), play MP3 CDs, and CDs with playlists I create.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And that's the key. Record companies are really going to have to reevaluate how they do business, and how they make their money. They seem to think that the CD is the only way to go with digital music, when they need to realize that consumers don't just play that game anymore.

The record companies seem to want to continue grasping the idea that when you buy a CD, you buy the rights to play music off of that disc only. What they need to realize is that digital music's evolution is all but dictating that when you buy a CD, you are buying the LICENSE to use that data in any way you choose. That may include the actual purchased CD, mp3's on your computer, mp3 CDs, burning your own music mixes, or portable mp3 players.

If I burn a music CD for myself with songs from 13 different albums that I bought, I'm not violating copyright, because it's for my personal use. I still own the original CDs, but choose to make my listening and cataloging more convenient. The record company still got their money.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>I don't get it.

Why not just copy it to (digital) tape or other and import it into iTunes and burn or similar?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Becasue we should not have to go out of our way to put OUR music on OUR OWN MP3 players...

Damn. I don't even want to support Universal anymore. THey have been on my shit list eve3r since their Jurassic Park DTS fiasco and now this...

• Reply 12 of 16
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Horned_Frog:

<strong>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Toast CD Spin Doctor can import/digitize it via the mic in. I'm doing this with my children's audio tapes and such. You can't just copy the 'data' to the HD and cut it that way?

Seems like there are more ways to do this than the 'automatic' way.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Yes, but it's a lot harder than popping it into the drive and pushing "Import" in iTunes.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Copy protecting CD's is going to stop people from ripping CD's just like shutting down Napster stopped people from trading music over the internet. DVD's are copy protected too, but I can rip the data onto my computer with a 64k program I downloaded somewhere. As soon as they develop the copy protection someone will be busy writing something to break it. Universal will fail to "protect" their music while merely pissing off the consumers.

This all actually reminds me of something I thought of earlier, and heck, with the features of iPhoto it almost fits into the picture. Apple should add Peer to Peer file sharing to iTunes That would be great. (besides the fact that they'd probably get into some kind of trouble, oh well, sosumi!)

[Edit: fixed some spelling]

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: SledgeHammer ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by SledgeHammer:

<strong>Copy protecting CD's is going to stop people from ripping CD's just like shutting down Napster stopped people from trading music over the internet. DVD's are copy protected too, but I can rip the data onto my computer with a 64k program I downloaded somewhere. As soon as they develop the copy protection someone will be busy writing something to break it. Universal will fail to "protect" there music while merely pissing off the consumers.

This all actually reminds me of something I thought of earlier, and heck, with the features of iPhoto it almost fits into the picture. Apple should add Peer to Peer file sharing to iTunes That would be great. (besides the fact that they'd probably get into some kind of trouble, oh well, sosumi!)</strong><hr></blockquote>

The problem remains though. The Music and Publishing industry get a small % of royalties from the sale of Blank Media. This is crazy! They are already getting money to offset potential losses yet they have the "Cast Irons" to actually impede our rights governed by the Home Recording Act! This in unacceptable. We shouldn't have to look for cracks to increase the access to our music. If this is the case then these royalties need to cease immediately!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I'll bet they wish they could have done this when we all copied to tapes for the car.

I sent Universal an e-mail saying that i would simply not be buying ANYTHING form them again. not that they care.

Next thing they'll do is make is protected so that you have to pay every time you listen to the disc. :o