Apple's legacy MacBook Pro with CD/DVD SuperDrive lives on with $100 price cut

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

I wish they'd also offer OS X on a DVD. What are you meant to do if you need to reformat the hard disk and do a clean install rather than restore from a backup? This, and the fact that they've made scrollbars so unintuitive, is why I no longer use a Mac.

I agree.  Except that I don't believe the latest versions of OS X can fit on a DVD.  They're over 4 GB, aren't they?  And since virtually all the matching new Macs don't even have the DVD drive, so it's pointless.  If you want to "do a clean install", please just do a quick web search for "how to make a bootable Mavericks install drive" which will lead you to a number of articles on how to make one, on a flash USB drive.  They work fine, I do it myself.

PS: you can reverse the direction scrolling on your mighty mouse.  

• Reply 22 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wish they'd also offer OS X on a DVD. What are you meant to do if you need to reformat the hard disk and do a clean install rather than restore from a backup? This, and the fact that they've made scrollbars so unintuitive, is why I no longer use a Mac.

You can set scroll bars to be as they always were, you can alter the direction of the scroll and you can run Disk Utilities from the Recovery Partition to format the OS X partition. Hold the option key on a reboot and select the Recovery Boot.

• Reply 23 of 61

To reformat your disk, you just need do this: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14243
    DVDs are no more needed for those tasks (at least, since OS X Lion).
  • Reply 24 of 61
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

That legacy MacBook Pro doesn't show up on the main entry page if you go to the Apple site and click "Mac>MacBook Pro>Tech Specs".  It only shows up if you click the "Buy Now" button.  

That makes me think it's not long for this world. 

I'm also in the court that Apple should still be making an updated machine with an optical drive and with user-replaceable battery, storage and memory, like my late-2008 MacBook Pro, which I'm still using.   If the machine has to be a little thicker to support this, so be it.  

I'd buy a new Mac if they'd make that, but I'm holding on to this 2008 MBP as long as it works because they don't.   I think it's absurd that I would have to lose use of the computer for several days while Apple replaces the battery and that there's no option to upgrade the storage or memory except when you first purchase the machine.    Personally, I really resent taking steps backwards just so the machine can be fractionally thinner.    IMO, that's one of the things that could/should differentiate the Pro from the Air line.    And with the Pro getting thinner and thinner, I'm not even sure why they need the Air line at all unless that only gets produced in a screen size smaller than the smallest Pro screen size.    From what I've seen, most people who would have used an Air are now using an iPad instead, although the one thing the Air has going for it is the "real" keyboard. 

• Reply 25 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    With $200 more, you'll get faster CPU, double RAM, better battery life, a flash drive and retina display. Unless someone is too stupid to realize it, I don't see any good deal here.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I agree.  Except that I don't believe the latest versions of OS X can fit on a DVD.  They're over 4 GB, aren't they?  And since virtually all the matching new Macs don't even have the DVD drive, so it's pointless.  If you want to "do a clean install", please just do a quick web search for "how to make a bootable Mavericks install drive" which will lead you to a number of articles on how to make one, on a flash USB drive.  They work fine, I do it myself.

PS: you can reverse the direction scrolling on your mighty mouse.  
    DVD can store upto 8GB w dual layer/side. Even with the 4.7GB single layer, it's enough for OS.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

I think there is a reason why Apple wants to get rid of HDD and DVD drives.  The non-retina MBP spec does not give a standby time while the retina MBPs have a standby time of 30 days.  IOW, the non-retina MBPs are not environmentally friendly. 

• Reply 28 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

...pointless MacBook Pro update???

Yes, updating to the only chips that will be available until summer of next year sure is pointless¡

...and it is over halfway through 2014.

Yeah, Apple sure is doomed. Take your FUD and shove it.

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Except that I don't believe the latest versions of OS X can fit on a DVD.  They're over 4 GB, aren't they?

DVDs go to 8 gigs.

• Reply 29 of 61
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    Yes, updating to the only chips that will be available until summer of next year sure is pointless¡

Yeah, Apple sure is doomed. Take your FUD and shove it.

DVDs go to 8 gigs.

In fact DVDs can go to 17 GB (double sided dual layer), though I'm not sure anyone actually uses them. :-)
  • Reply 30 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Roly View Post

In fact DVDs can go to 17 GB (double sided dual layer), though I'm not sure anyone actually uses them. :-)

Oh, yeah. I don’t even know of any drive that plays them. Heck, I don’t know of any drive that will do DVD DL±RW, which is nonsense.

• Reply 31 of 61
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    New Apple are giving their customers more options...

...to fail. Incentiviisng people to buy cheaper HDD-based Macs will hurt the UX and ultimately the customer satisfaction Tim appears to care about so deeply.

They should get their information management strategy right and ditch HDDs across the line. With a decent cloud or wifi backing store even 128GB is adequate.

A very disappointing year in hardware so far.

McD
  • Reply 32 of 61
    oldmacsoldmacs Posts: 81member
    I hope not. 128gb is not enough for anything much, and cloud storage is slow and I would rather not have my stuff all in the cloud. A much better solution would be fusion drives standard in the the non retina MacBook Pro. Apple should also optimise Mac OSX to run on slower harddrives anyway, as the iMac and Mac Mini are also sold with 5400 rpm drives. If microsoft can make windows 8 boot and run fast off a HDD I don't see why apple can't.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    You also loose expand ability, the larger storage space, some ports, the optical drive(yes some people still use them). While for a lot of people these wrong useful, for a lot of other people they are very useful. Apple could remedy to situation by updating them with broadwell and fusion drives.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    oldmacs wrote: »
    You also loose expand ability, the larger storage space, some ports, the optical drive(yes some people still use them). While for a lot of people these wrong useful, for a lot of other people they are very useful. Apple could remedy to situation by updating them with broadwell and fusion drives.

For the love of everything holy, it's 'lose' not 'loose'. That seems to be a epidemic on AI. Apologies I didn't mean to single you out.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    For the love of everything holy, it's 'lose' not 'loose'. That seems to be a epidemic on AI. Apologies I didn't mean to single you out.

No problem, it's either my iPad autocorrecting or me being too lazy to properly proof read before I post :(
  • Reply 36 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    oldmacs wrote: »
    No problem, it's either my iPad autocorrecting or me being too lazy to properly proof read before I post :(

There's something seriously wrong with autocorrect if it makes the wrong word longer. :lol:
  • Reply 37 of 61
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong with autocorrect if it makes the wrong word longer. :lol:

My ipad's autocorrect has been really weird since iOS 7 so who knows :p I do feel that my laziness is the problem here though ;)
  • Reply 38 of 61
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

honestly, the current MBA is just more powerful for same price. Yes, you don't get the 'HDD', instead 128GB SSD.. but you get twice the battery time, just as much memory and the Macbook Air CPU is ironically more powerful with the upgraded integrated video which is easily twice as fast as this 2 and 1/2 year old model.

Why not just axe it? I cannot believe that many are buying it...

SSD drives don't have the storage of HDD especially for that kind of price. So it does make sense to keep it around for those that want a lot of local storage. At least until SSD go up in size and down in price. Until then, Apple will continue to adjust the price as component prices go down. Which could help to grab folks that are borderline on the Apple V Windows thing but go to Windows cause the prices are way lower. Better to have their higher lines cannabilized by a lower price Mac than some Dell, Acer etc

• Reply 39 of 61
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmacs View Post

I hope not. 128gb is not enough for anything much, and cloud storage is slow and I would rather not have my stuff all in the cloud. A much better solution would be fusion drives standard in the the non retina MacBook Pro. Apple should also optimise Mac OSX to run on slower harddrives anyway, as the iMac and Mac Mini are also sold with 5400 rpm drives. If microsoft can make windows 8 boot and run fast off a HDD I don't see why apple can't.

For the majority of users' MacBooks I've checked it is, though 256GB would be a safer option. SSD advantage has little to do with boot or application load times and more to do with the fact either system only partially loads and when you hit an SSD with multiple jobs it's performance drops to 50%, not 1% like an HDD does.  Multiple jobs?  VM paging, spotlight indexing, OS & Application component loads, background downloads, background software updates it all going on.  Ever notice a colour wheel on a MacBook Air?

Fusion Drives for Macs perhaps but HDDs must go.

• Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

DVD can store upto 8GB w dual layer/side. Even with the 4.7GB single layer, it's enough for OS.

For whatever reason, I couldn't get a bootable installer disc to fit. Maybe I did something wrong....  In any event, booting and installing from a DVD would be very very slow, too.