The Black Hole of upgrades...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
and updates and patches and et al...

I'm getting sick of it.

For example; OS X and iPhoto.

Downloaded and installed iPhoto and checked if my camera or media reader were compatible...nope. My scanner won't detect iPhoto either.

Oh, I guess then I'll have to toss my $200 camera, $198 media reader and $199 scanner in the trash and get the "right" or "new" ones...I'm not talking 3 -4 year old hardware here either.

OS X...no applications to speak of for me yet. I mostly go into OS X and get updates and patches...and as for iPhoto...useless software. Plus all the other companies dragging their ass creating non-buggy drivers.

I could go on and on of course (and Windows IS a whole other nightmare). But there are times where I just want to chuck all this technological crap and go back to drawing comic books...

By the time the new iMac rose to the stage on Monday...it was already obsolete (or whatever digital devices you already have)...I feel that we're getting stiffed everytime something new appears.

Not a Digital Hub...a Digital Black hole....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    nice sig.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>nice sig. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's not a sig. That is an artist Mobius with an image that fits my thoughts right now...sitting on an ever growing pile of obsolete shit.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    If your camera gear is fairly new, chances are it will be supported soon. I seem to remember Jobs saying future updates to iPhoto would support more models.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>My scanner won't detect iPhoto either.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, scanners don't work with iPhoto.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Shit you mean my scanner won't work with iPhoto? Ah that sucks!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    No, I meant the sig. The cartoon is nice too, but I was talking about your sig. I hate everything about those retarded mars and venus books, and that only marginally heterosexual John Gray character. ugh! used to work at a book store. They put on some work shops around the book -- Pathetic.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I'm shocked that my Kodak 3400 is supported. It wasn't supported, by image caputure, for a while.

I know I know blame Kodak blame me for buying the wrong or old or something camera blame everyone but Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Shit you mean my scanner won't work with iPhoto? Ah that sucks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know. It really does suck. I was hoping when iPhoto came out that I'd be able to use my dad's Umax scanner with my iBook in OS X.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    The Agfa ePhoto CL30 digital camera I have is the oldest (2 years old) and the original software that came with it sucked on OS 9.2.2. Sooo, I got a VST Tri Media Reader and it reads the CompactFlash cards great (floppies and SmartMedia too).

Now VST is owned by SanDisc and this specific reader looks like it's heading toward obscurity...at least for OS X. They did post an OS X beta driver that is supposed to read media cards and not the floppy...but actually reads floppies and not media cards...they said "use Image Capture"...don't work VST or SanDisc...whoever.

Another thing about Agfa...they are stopping all support for their consumer line of scanners (mine included)! Luckily they had a final release of the ScanWise driver for OS X and it works fine (let's hope the carbon plug-in for Photoshop OS X included will work...). As for their cameras...I think they are dumping them too.

It pisses me off that these "investments" are turning to junk before my very eyes or are never going to be faithfully supported.

"No, of course not Mr. Consumer. You must move on! Grab that bloated credit card and buy the new and exciting products now! Hurry up before they're obsolete too!"

Feh, for now I'm staying with my current iMac G3 700 SE (I do like it) and use OS 9.2.2 and foock all! At least everything works as promised in that environment...I won't go into when my HD died 28 days after I bought the new iMac...

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Artman @_@ ]</p>