Ford ditches BlackBerry for Apple, will deploy 9,300 iPhones among employees

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Really? Last I checked those companies are doing just fine

Since they pulled out of selling cell phones.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They probably would still be a major player if they had released something similar to the Z10 instead of that god awful Storm.

Something like this;

This is the object of my desire now, I will defiantly be picking up a Passport when it's released. I am actually excited about this one, first time in a very long that a gadget has actually made me feel impatient about waiting. The new iPhone 6 is of course another device that I can't wait to see, but the Passport is something I know that I want, without question. 

The new Blackberry OS 10.3 update is for a lack of better words, friggen cool. One of the major complaints about using a BlackBerry device in the past was a lack of apps. However now that you can run Android apps in OS 10.3, those concerns are some what bated. I had a chance to play with the new Z30 and I have to say this feature works quite well. I don't use many apps on my phone because, well, its a phone, I have my news apps; Flipboard, Feedly, CNN, BBC, News360, my media apps; VLC, Spotify, Zattoo, Office apps; OneNote, Office mobile, Social media; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Random apps; SBB(train schedule), Bing Translator, Viber, Skype and my filemanager, which Blackberry has and it's good, allowing me to access all of my cloud storage, local, NAS, from a single app. So everything I want is pretty much covered, especially a terminal app which Blackberry also has called BBSSH, which is one of the best terminal apps I have used since my Nokia 9500.

I want a keyboard, large screen, fast processor, lots of memory, the Passport has me covered;

CPU; Qualcomm 801

RAM; 3GB

Storage; 64GB + Mini SD up to 128GB (which I already have)

Screen; 1440 x 1440, 1:1 aspect ratio

Other notable features; comes with the HDMI cable for desktop mirroring up to 1080P, all apps run at the same resolution so none of that funky iPad HDMI problems that drive me bat shitt crazy, Miracast for wireless display viewing, I use this with my Surface Pro 3, works quite well, keyboard, IT HAS A KEYBOARD!!!!!!! Not only that but the specs rock, usually phones with keyboards suck or are just feature phones, its like the industry thinks people who want physical keyboards are some kind of special needs case.

What do you guys think, is it worth it or a skip it. I've already ordered the Porsche P'9982 so it's more then clear that I'm interested, are you or is the iPhone it for you guys.?

• Reply 63 of 68
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    What do you guys think, is it worth it or a skip it. I've already ordered the Porsche P'9982 so it's more then clear that I'm interested, are you or is the iPhone it for you guys.?

For it's the iPhone. Probably because I know what I get, possibly because I'm starting to become narrow-minded as I'm already into iOS, the App Store, the ecosystem.

That said, the Porsche design looks great!

The Passport might be a cool device, unfortunately this was the worst product video I have ever seen. Seen a lot of them, but this one:

doesn't show anything that's 'happening' on the screen,
    the person is completely unprepared to show the device as it's,
    not setup for the Amazon /Android Store,
    the guy doesn't have a script, is constantly searching for the right words,

Well, you get the picture. Still, it looks cool. And off, due to the square(isn?) screen. But it might be a cool phone. Although I don't think it would fit in my suits; pockets usually being 13cm wide.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For it's the iPhone. Probably because I know what I get, possibly because I'm starting to become narrow-minded as I'm already into iOS, the App Store, the ecosystem.

That said, the Porsche design looks great!

The Passport might be a cool device, unfortunately this was the worst product video I have ever seen. Seen a lot of them, but this one:

doesn't show anything that's 'happening' on the screen,

the person is completely unprepared to show the device as it's,

not setup for the Amazon /Android Store,

the guy doesn't have a script, is constantly searching for the right words,

Well, you get the picture. Still, it looks cool. And off, due to the square(isn?) screen. But it might be a cool phone. Although I don't think it would fit in my suits; pockets usually being 13cm wide.

The Porsche is actually a gift for my husband, he's been their for me so much lately so I wanted something to say thank you. He carries both an iPhone and a BlackBerry Z10, he say's he can't live without either one, so I figure he would enjoy this more then his Z10. I know he likes my Porsche P'9981, so I went for it, the little bastard was hard to track down though, geesh, talk about an exclusive item. I finally found a store in Milan who had one, what a f*****g snob the sales man was, he kept repeating the price, yes maam, but you do realize it costs [blah], uhm of course I do, so can I have it, we're not a phone store so we don't sell things subsidized, you'll have to pay the full price of [blah], yeah, whatever, I just want to purchase the phone can I do that now please, okay how will you be paying for it, sooooo, do you except food stamps, click.

I don't have any reliance on any one platform, I always make sure to use apps that are available on all of the platforms that I use. I don't really use any of Apples apps, except maybe GarageBand on the iPad but even that I'm not married to it. So using multiple mobile OS's at once is easy and it keeps me from becoming dependent on any one one eco system. No, I have no loyalties to any one brand, OS, device, I'm basically a gadget whore, going from one sugar daddy to the next. 

Unfortunately there just aren't ang proper product demo videos yet, just people taking small clips at unveiling ceremonies. I would give the video  guy a break, he didn't know what Blackberry was going to release and was under an NDA umbrella, so he couldn't say much, here is another video full of nothing for your enjoyment.

• Reply 65 of 68
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The Porsche is actually a gift for my husband, he's been their for me so much lately so I wanted something to say thank you. He carries both an iPhone and a BlackBerry Z10, he say's he can't live without either one, so I figure he would enjoy this more then his Z10. I know he likes my Porsche P'9981, so I went for it, the little bastard was hard to track down though, geesh, talk about an exclusive item. I finally found a store in Milan who had one, what a f*****g snob the sales man was, he kept repeating the price, yes maam, but you do realize it costs [blah], uhm of course I do, so can I have it, we're not a phone store so we don't sell things subsidized, you'll have to pay the full price of [blah], yeah, whatever, I just want to purchase the phone can I do that now please, okay how will you be paying for it, sooooo, do you except food stamps, click.

Geez, you'd think BB would make it easy for people to buy their products. Anyway, lol on the snob sales man, lol on the food stamps and bless you with your fine husband.
    I don't have any reliance on any one platform, I always make sure to use apps that are available on all of the platforms that I use. I don't really use any of Apples apps, except maybe GarageBand on the iPad but even that I'm not married to it. So using multiple mobile OS's at once is easy and it keeps me from becoming dependent on any one one eco system. No, I have no loyalties to any one brand, OS, device, I'm basically a gadget whore, going from one sugar daddy to the next. 

Lol on the sugar daddy, props to you for being platform independent.
    Unfortunately there just aren't ang proper product demo videos yet, just people taking small clips at unveiling ceremonies. I would give the video  guy a break, he didn't know what Blackberry was going to release and was under an NDA umbrella, so he couldn't say much, here is another video full of nothing for your enjoyment.

Did enjoy it! And the other ones Google displays for me after the video has finished. It remains a weird device. Browsing is cool but watching a video makes the large screen unnecessary large as videos are rectangular.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    joninsdjoninsd Posts: 74member
    Something like this;

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ooX6EE80TPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

This is the object of my desire now, I will defiantly be picking up a Passport when it's released. I am actually excited about this one, first time in a very long that a gadget has actually made me feel impatient about waiting. The new iPhone 6 is of course another device that I can't wait to see, but the Passport is something I know that I want, without question. 

The new Blackberry OS 10.3 update is for a lack of better words, friggen cool. One of the major complaints about using a BlackBerry device in the past was a lack of apps. However now that you can run Android apps in OS 10.3, those concerns are some what bated. I had a chance to play with the new Z30 and I have to say this feature works quite well. I don't use many apps on my phone because, well, its a phone, I have my news apps; Flipboard, Feedly, CNN, BBC, News360, my media apps; VLC, Spotify, Zattoo, Office apps; OneNote, Office mobile, Social media; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Random apps; SBB(train schedule), Bing Translator, Viber, Skype and my filemanager, which Blackberry has and it's good, allowing me to access all of my cloud storage, local, NAS, from a single app. So everything I want is pretty much covered, especially a terminal app which Blackberry also has called BBSSH, which is one of the best terminal apps I have used since my Nokia 9500.

I want a keyboard, large screen, fast processor, lots of memory, the Passport has me covered;

CPU; Qualcomm 801
    RAM; 3GB
    Storage; 64GB + Mini SD up to 128GB (which I already have)
    Screen; 1440 x 1440, 1:1 aspect ratio
    Other notable features; comes with the HDMI cable for desktop mirroring up to 1080P, all apps run at the same resolution so none of that funky iPad HDMI problems that drive me bat shitt crazy, Miracast for wireless display viewing, I use this with my Surface Pro 3, works quite well, keyboard, IT HAS A KEYBOARD!!!!!!! Not only that but the specs rock, usually phones with keyboards suck or are just feature phones, its like the industry thinks people who want physical keyboards are some kind of special needs case.

One of my biggest complaints about BB when I had my storm 2 was the lack of OS support for nearly the entire time I had it, about 3 years. There was only 1 update during that time which didn't fix any of the freezing or white screen of death, both of which required at least 10 minutes to restart. Not good when I was in the middle of an important call. In addition to just being an overall non-polished device, App Store, and software. For a business device I shouldn't have to pay extra for an app to open and edit PDF docs and for what they charge it should have at least all of the functionality of an iphone or at least an android. So, while the passport looks nice it's the company and their post purchase support that I have an issue with, if they change their culture to care about their customers after the fact I might reconsider them.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    [QUOTE name="JonInSD" url="/t/181614/ford-ditches-blackberry-for-apple-will-deploy-9-300-iphones-among-employees/40#post_2573369"]
    One of my biggest complaints about BB when I had my storm 2 was the lack of OS support for nearly the entire time I had it, about 3 years. There was only 1 update during that time which didn't fix any of the freezing or white screen of death, both of which required at least 10 minutes to restart. Not good when I was in the middle of an important call. In addition to just being an overall non-polished device, App Store, and software. For a business device I shouldn't have to pay extra for an app to open and edit PDF docs and for what they charge it should have at least all of the functionality of an iphone or at least an android. So, while the passport looks nice it's the company and their post purchase support that I have an issue with, if they change their culture to care about their customers after the fact I might reconsider them.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully BB has changed their ways, I have been talking with owners of Z10's Z30's and Q10's over at Crackberry and many have shared similar stories prior to BB 10. So far there has been at least 3 major releases and many bug fixes in the last year alone so I think their serious about changing this prepective. With the newest release of BB 10.3 the OS is now very rock solid, packed full with many very intuitive features that frankly make other mobile OS's look dated. Specifically the BB hud, filemanager and multitasking, I said this before but I have never seen a more powerfull OS for multitasking, streaming a movie to a DLNA connected device from OneDrive, playing a game while displaying it on a HDMI Display and listening to music on Spotify at the same time is something that I never thought possible on a mobile device. There is no reason why you would ever do all of things at once but streaming a video from cloud storage and being able to still use the device to surf is. Frankly this is something that drives me crazy about iOS, I like to use three to four music creation apps at once however I can't start say a drum beat with one app then switch over to another app to do a synthesized melody without the drum beat stopping, lame. The only two reason why I can imagine that Apple doesn't support full multitasking across every app is to make sure that the UI is always running smoothly and they don't need to add more memory, cutting into their large margins. This said, 1GB is inexecusable for a 600 plus dollar phone or tablet in 2014. The Passport comes with 3GB of Ram and the community believes that their will be a 4GB version as well to enhance this multitasking experince, their not throwing any punches with the CPU either, Qualcomm 801 for the first model and a Qualcomm 805 for the next, plenty of power. There is always something that phones are missing, I never find one that just has everything out of the gate, the Passport comes pretty close. Take HDMI for instance, I want it built in, but if it's not, I expect the company to give me whatever is needed to make it work in the box the phone comes in, the Passport does. I also still want an SD card, call it old technology whatever the fact of the matter is I like having all of my media on a separate card, a 128GB card is much, much cheaper then buying a phone with 128GB, though the Passport will come in 32GB or 64GB configurations. So with it's intriguing and unique new resolution I'm hoping the Passport will be something different and enjoyable to own. I like the new Android 5 build but it will be hard to find a phone that doesn't have an unmolested version, since manufacturersmare are always putting these horrible skins on their models I'm not interested and until Apple finially gives me a file manager and allows me to select my own browser as the default I will continue skipping their phones as well, so the Passport makes sense for someone like me.