Resurgent T-Mobile passes 50M subscribers, but CEO refuses to talk about Apple's 'iPhone 6'

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
U.S. carrier T-Mobile on Thursday posted strong results for its fiscal second quarter, adding 1.5 million subscribers, more customers than any other wireless provider, while recording a $391 million profit on revenues of $7.2 billion.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere
T-Mobile CEO John Legere

"We have completely reversed T-Mobile's trajectory and started a revolution that is changing the rules in wireless," T-Mobile CEO John Legere said in a release. The quarter marks T-Mobile's fifth consecutive period with over 1 million net subscriber additions.

In comparison, competitors AT&T and Verizon posted net additions of 1 million and 1.4 million subscribers, respectively, in their own fiscal second quarters. Sprint, rumored to be in merger talks with T-Mobile, lost 245,000.

Some 329,000 of T-Mobile's additions were mobile broadband customers driven by tablets, the company noted, a five-fold increase from the previous quarter. T-Mobile sees tablets such as the iPad -- as well as wearable devices -- as a significant opportunity for growth.

"We're very excited about wearables coming with their own radios, and we're seeing some of these on the horizon," T-Mobile marketing chief Mike Sievert added during Thursday's earnings call.

Despite the rapid increase in tablets, smartphones continued to dominate T-Mobile's hardware sales. The carrier moved 6.2 million smartphones in the quarter, and the devices now account for 83 percent of phones on T-Mobile's branded network.

T-Mobile has the smallest exposure of any major carrier to the iPhone, however. Asked for his opinion on whether the launch of Apple's next-generation handset would have a material impact on the company's subscriber growth going forward, Legere said that such an event would present a "huge opportunity," but was cagey on specifics.

"You're not gonna get me to use the iPhone 6 word on this call," Legere joked.

Apple and T-Mobile have worked more closely in recent months as T-Mobile claws its way back into contention with its larger rivals thanks to a series of "Un-Carrier" initiatives. As part of "Un-Carrier 5.0," T-Mobile offered potential customers a free iPhone 5s with unlimited data to "test drive" the carrier's network for one week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    On the other hand, it kind of makes sense.

"British Petroleum passes XYZ customers, but CEO refuses to talk about Lamborghini's next car."
  • Reply 2 of 32
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    count me as a couple of those
    U.S. carrier T-Mobile on Thursday posted strong results for its fiscal second quarter, adding 1.5 million subscribers . . .

count me as a couple of those. i finally moved all three family lines off at&t: two went to t-mobile; one went to a regional carrier. the reduction in monthly costs amounts to about $40. all three lines now have a much better wireless plan and definitely better value. i've found just two specific spots where i do not get a t-mobile signal where i did get an at&t signal, and i've found one specific spot where i now get a t-mobile signal where i did not get an at&t signal. to paraphrase principal skinner: "up yours, at&t".
  • Reply 3 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    "You're not gonna get me to use the iPhone 6 word on this call," Legere joked.

Good. Nobody should. Respect the wishes from your supplier. Or employer, friend's wishes. But please do not spread rumours, especially not here on Politcal Outsider.com, we have enough issues with disagreements on world topics as it is.

Edit: ooh thanks AI, it all got edited out, good on you!
  • Reply 4 of 32
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    As a disruptive force to the general business model of the cell phone industry T-Mobile is not really any different. When you look closely all the good incentives are to get you to move from another carrier. If you are not under contract, they are really not offering anything more or better than the others. If you really want a better deal look at Consumer Cellular which I have found to be much better for those who are not massive data and talk consumers.
  • Reply 5 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tmobile is a great deal.

2 lines with unlimited 4G-LTE data, unlimited talk, unlimited text.  And 5GB of LTE hotspot for iPads per user (total 10GB).  All for $120.

AT&T charges over $200 for a simular plan without unlimited data.

Looks like if you join now my plan cost $140, still about 50% cheaper than Verizon/AT&T.  Glad there are only charging me $120

Like I said, if you are not a major consumer of data and talk. I have two iPhones and all the talk, text and data that I need and I pay between $45-50 a month for both phones.

• Reply 6 of 32
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Tmobile is a great deal.

2 lines with unlimited 4G-LTE data, unlimited talk, unlimited text.  And 5GB of LTE hotspot for iPads per user (total 10GB).  All for $120.

Looks like if you join now my plan cost $140, still about 50% cheaper than Verizon/AT&T.  Glad there are only charging me $120

I just switched this month from AT&T. For me, the free international text & data convinced me. It was exorbitant to get a similar level of service on AT&T for roaming in Asia. I gave AT&T a chance to match it before I switched, and they couldn't.

The guy at the T-Mobile store said they are stealing AT&T and especially Sprint customers (ironic, since they may merge).

• Reply 7 of 32
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    kent909 wrote: »
    Quote:
    <div class="quote-block" style="border:1px solid rgb(217,218,216);color:rgb(0,0,0);padding:10px;">Originally Posted by sog35 go_quote.gif

Tmobile is a great deal.

</div>

Like I said, if you are not a major consumer of data and talk. I have two iPhones and all the talk, text and data that I need and I pay between $45-50 a month for both phones.

which carrier?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pooch wrote: »
    which carrier?

VZW actually has a unadvertised plan with unlimited talk, text, with 2 GBs of data for $60.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

which carrier?

Consumer Cellular

• Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

But what about iPad plans?  My plan includes 10GB for 2 ipads also with hot spot.

And what kind of network?  Does it use 4G-LTE?

My iPad is on the original unlimited plan with AT&T. Consumer Cellular uses the AT&T network.

• Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Tmobile is a great deal.

Interesting perspective. So if I was a cell phone company and I said I would charge you $1000 a month for the plan that you have you would be happy because you are saving $860 a month. The idea is, can you get your plan for less, not more.

• Reply 12 of 32
    This is all about a small country in the sticks. What about the rest of the world fellas?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    It is no brainer why t-mobile succeeding against other 3 carriers.. Monthly Plan pricing is right with no data overage, 3G/4G coverage has improved lot and customer service reasonable. You don't need to be rocket scientist to understand why TMO doing good and will continue doing good until other carriers follow the same strategy. In bad economy, customer's mentality changes and turns to products/services offering lower cost, bargain.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I wish Apple would look under it's couch cushions to get the change it needed to buy T-Mobile. That would make things extremely interesting. I have a $1 that says Samsung would immediately run after Sprint. :-)
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

As a disruptive force to the general business model of the cell phone industry T-Mobile is not really any different. When you look closely all the good incentives are to get you to move from another carrier. If you are not under contract, they are really not offering anything more or better than the others. If you really want a better deal look at Consumer Cellular which I have found to be much better for those who are not massive data and talk consumers.

I strongly disagree.

If you travel internationally on any sort of annual basis, TMobile is an awesome deal.

• Reply 16 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I wish Apple would look under it's couch cushions to get the change it needed to buy T-Mobile.

Apple wanted to have its own network just for the iPhone back in 2006. They were told they would be forced to allow all phones on it, so they decided against it.

• Reply 17 of 32

Tell me what plan gives you this for $120

2 lines

Unlimited talk

Unlimited text

Unlimited 4G LTE data

10 GB of hotspot access (for iPads)

No international fees on roaming/text

Straight Talk will do three lines for that price.

• Reply 18 of 32
    greatrix wrote: »
    This is all about a small country in the sticks. What about the rest of the world fellas?

We got some mighty big sticks over here. :lol:
  • Reply 19 of 32
    sog35 wrote: »
    BS.

'Unlimited' Straight talk is $45 per month.  And that 'unlimited' is only 3GB of high speed.  The T-mobile plan is TRUE UNLIMITED high speed 4G-LTE.  Plus Straight talk does not allow hot spot access.  T-mobile gives 5GB per user.  Plus international calling is FREE, international text free, no roaming.  Straight talks unlimited international plan is $60 and also is limited to 3GB high speed.

$60 Straight talk unlimited - 3GB max 4G, Zero hot spot access
    $60 T-Mobile - UNLIMITED 4G-LTE, 5GB hotspot access

Try again.

Really? You're in a 'least cell phone bill' pissing contest with TS? :lol:
  • Reply 20 of 32

'Unlimited' Straight talk is $45 per month.

And that 'unlimited' is only 3GB of high speed.  The T-mobile plan is TRUE UNLIMITED high speed 4G-LTE.

Good luck with that. No carrier doesn’t throttle.

Plus Straight talk does not allow hot spot access.  T-mobile gives 5GB per user.

Who cares? No one uses them anyway. It can’t possibly be financially prudent (or add value to the user) to freely connect to gas stations, coffee shops, or pay phones.