Apple activates Wi-Fi calling for T-Mobile iPhones with latest iOS 8 beta

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Lee493 View Post

I haven't read anything about iPod touches being able to call directly to a phone by dialing a standard 10-digit number.  Could you take incoming calls too from a landline phone?  What number would they call?

More importantly, how would they be billed?

• Reply 22 of 39
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

My carrier supports WiFi calling now, but only on an extremely limited range of devices, mostly Blackberry. That has me wondering if there are hardware issues at play? The article says there's a switch for it in the iOS8 beta, but doesn't say if anyone has been able to make it work. Maybe it requires an iPhone 6?

An interesting aside, my carrier charges extra for the feature. I wish I could find a way to bill my clients for having someone else carry the freight!

When/if it becomes available for a device I own, I intend to ask my carrier to supply me the feature gratis in exchange for me no longer constantly complaining that I can't get a decent signal in my neighbourhood. I don't know if it will work, though. Most of my calls to them drop out before I can register the complaint!

• Reply 23 of 39
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    ny3ranger wrote: »
    "Same here. I'm on T-Mobile and iPhone 5 on iOS 8 beta 3 but i'm not seeing this Wi-Fi calling feature. In my case, perhaps it's due to the iPhone 5 model. My iPhone 5 originally purchased as a Verizon iPhone (model A1429)."

Mine too but that shouldn't stop up for having that feature. T-Mobile iPhones are basically unlocked iPhones no? And mine is obviously unlocked after contract ran out from AT&T
    you can use unlocked iPhones but an upgraded iPhone 5 was introduced that supported better T-Mobile coverage. The 5S once again became universal for the GSM model in the USA.

It appears that wifi calling is only activated for the 5S (and maybe not with all plans). I have it and look forward to it. I received afree microcell from T-Mobile a couple of weeks ago but it's not a drastic improvement.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee493 View Post

I haven't read anything about iPod touches being able to call directly to a phone by dialing a standard 10-digit number.  Could you take incoming calls too from a landline phone?  What number would they call?

Various solutions addressed VoIP for WiFi-only iDevices several years ago (like 2010) so there is very little discussion about the matter these days.

There have been a number of solutions over the years, although Google recently discontinued third-party developers from accessing the Google Voice VoIP API. 

The oldest and most well-known solution is Skype with the SkypeIn (incoming calls) and SkypeOut (outgoing) options to regular numbers. The first-generation iPod touch had no microphone, but there were third-party microphones that would attach via the Dock Connector. Eventually, the iPod touch got support for the four conductor mini-plug, allowing use of headphones/earbuds with the inline microphone.

Before Google's recent shutdown of 3rd party VoIP, you could use an app like Talkatone to answer incoming calls to your Google Voice number over a WiFi connection (yes, it worked with iPod touches, iPads, etc.). I often made outgoing VoIP calls with GV Mobile+. Since the end of third-party access, Talkatone has started their own VoIP service.

While I'm not sure about incoming calls, I do know that one can make outgoing VoIP calls via Google Hangouts. The ten-digit number assigned by Talkatone's VoIP service (limited talk time with the free account) does work with Google Voice's forwarding system.

Note that one can install the Google Talk browser plug-in and call people via Google Voice VoIP directly from Gmail (in a web browser page), thus your computer becomes your phone. This too has been around for years.

• Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

More importantly, how would they be billed?

Billing is done to an account via an app or an online account management page on a website.

Skype does this. You can buy voice credits for Google Voice, Talkatone, and others.

Generally speaking, these VoIP services are prepaid; you have to buy credit to call landlines or mobile numbers. Many of these services come with a small amount of promotional "starter credit." I still have the original $1.00 of credit from Google Voice (or maybe it was pre-acquisition GrandCentral).

Some of them (like Google Voice) allow you to register a credit card to the account with auto-refill options, so you don't have a service outage. I believe for Talkatone, call credits are an in-app purchase.

The Google Voice international calling rates are very competitive.

• Reply 26 of 39
    mpantone wrote: »
    Various solutions addressed VoIP for WiFi-only iDevices several years ago (like 2010) so there is very little discussion about the matter these days.

There have been a number of solutions over the years, although Google recently discontinued third-party developers from accessing the Google Voice VoIP API. 

The issue at hand here is not can I make VoIP calls on an iPod touch with some third-party app. Of course you can use Skype, google voice or about 50 other options.

The only way I can see calling coming to an iPad or iPod touch would be similar functionality to the messages and calls being able to be routed through to your computer. Messages already sync in ios8 even if they are not iMessages but I haven't seen phone calls pass though yet.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Ideally, my cellular provider would have super-awesome reception wherever I go and Sports Illustrated swimsuit models would be texting me all day to join them in Tahiti. Sadly, I don't live in a dreamworld. 

Ideally they'd be sexting you.

• Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by realjustinlong View Post

The issue at hand here is not can I make VoIP calls on an iPod touch with some third-party app. Of course you can use Skype, google voice or about 50 other options.

The only way I can see calling coming to an iPad or iPod touch would be similar functionality to the messages and calls being able to be routed through to your computer. Messages already sync in ios8 even if they are not iMessages but I haven't seen phone calls pass though yet.

Look, I simply answered Lee493's question. The answer is yes, an iPod touch can make calls to a ten-digit number. That's what he asked.

There are a boatload of texting apps for iPods and iPads as well.

In any case, the iPod touch and iPad are not serious replacements for a telephone. It's a hardware issue because the speakers and microphone are in the wrong place for a bonafide telephony device. Even if one can accept an incoming call (like with Talkatone), one really needs to answer the call, then fumble around with microphone-equipped headphones or earbuds before continuing with the conversation.

The iPod touch's speaker is in the base, and the microphone is next to the camera lens. Thus, to use the device as a phone, you have to flip it around and upside down, with the screen facing your palm, but that's not something one can realistically do on a regular basis.

• Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Look, I simply answered Lee493's question. The answer is yes, an iPod touch can make calls to a ten-digit number. That's what he asked.

In reference to the original topic of this thread which is "Apple activates Wi-Fi calling for T-Mobile iPhones with latest iOS 8 beta". 

• Reply 30 of 39

That's fine.

Lee493's question was a tangent to the original post's subject. That happens a lot on the Internet, although Lee493's inquiry is in fact related to the topic at hand: Wi-Fi calling on an iOS device.

Even if one does not have an iPhone 5s running the latest iOS 8 beta with T-Mobile post-paid service, Wi-Fi calling is available through third-party solutions.

• Reply 31 of 39
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    And what about AT&T?! As usual, they are the laggards. :(
  • Reply 32 of 39
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    O2 in the UK have wifi calling. You download a free app. It's handy if you're in a poor reception area. You can also send and receive SMS text messages via wifi.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    flenserflenser Posts: 1member

This feature of iOS 8 is different than a regular VoIP app. It's an implementation of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network and it allows you to "roam" while on a voice call from the cell network to a WiFi network, and back and forth, without dropping the call. That's pretty awesome.

It appears that the feature only works in iOS 8 beta 3 on iPhone 5s models. Perhaps that's just for this beta, and Apple will add it to other models. I don't know if there's something in the 5s chipset that is required, that other models don't have, but hopefully not.

• Reply 34 of 39
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    As a TMO subscriber, this is pure awesome. Why? Because in basement conference rooms of large hotels, museums, warehouses and the like - I have access to wifi, but my TMobile data signal is weak or nonexistent. Calls just don't work; messages (i.e. not iMessage) arrive much later and are not reliable.

With wifi-calling, I will at least get my calls when I'm traveling to such areas.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Billing is done to an account via an app or an online account management page on a website.

And what does that have to do with the Big Four telecoms and making cell phone calls over Wi-Fi?

• Reply 36 of 39

I'm trying it now prepaid and when I switch it on I'm told to contact the carrier.

• Reply 37 of 39
    iphone 5 iOS8 TMobile, doesn't have the wifi calling option.

I was told that 5c/5s/6 have that option, but iphone 5 was left out. too bad.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    And how do you propose that works?

You can call from an iPod using earplugs with microphone wherever wifi is available.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Originally Posted by dinoone View Post

You can call from an iPod using earplugs with microphone wherever wifi is available.

How do you propose tying a phone number to a device without telephony hardware?