Apple to roll out in-store iPhone 5s screen replacement program on Aug. 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Apple Stores will on Monday expand their iPhone repair services to include iPhone 5s screen replacements, helping to cut down on overall cost and turnover rates.

MachineThe machine used by Apple's Geniuses to precisely align replacement displays.

A source familiar with the matter told AppleInsider on Thursday that Apple Stores will start replacing broken iPhone 5s displays in-house on Aug. 4, adding to similar existing repair options for the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c.

The person, who said they received confirmation of the new program from an Apple Store today, notes iPhone 5s screens can be swapped out only on units free of water damage or other hardware failures, like bent chassis. For iPhones with serious damage, customers must send their device in to Apple for servicing or replacement.

No details were provided regarding out-of-pocket cost, but the person did note customers with AppleCare+ would pay the usual $79 plus tax fee just as they would if sending the phone off by mail. Current iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c screen replacements run $149 plus tax, but an iPhone 5s repair may be more expensive if the sapphire-covered Touch ID home button is also damaged.

Apple first started repairing iPhone screens at brick-and-mortar Apple Store locations with the iPhone 5 in 2013. By replacing just the screen instead of performing a wholesale device swap-out, Apple looks to save money and time for both itself and its customers.

Earlier this year, Apple extended the screen replacement program to include the iPhone 5c, which is very similar in construction to the iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Nice. My iPhone 5 dropped causing a tiny chip on the lower left of the screen. I'll get that puppy repaired soon.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    So I see they first did this with the iPhone 5. Did they at any point start replacing iPhone 4 and 4S screens in-store?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    So I see they first did this with the iPhone 5. Did they at any point start replacing iPhone 4 and 4S screens in-store?

Nope. The issue is that all the guts are attached to the front so they would have to totally disassemble the phones to do it, risking damage to all those parts. The 5 series has an independent front.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Thank you charlituna.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    For Apple's sake I hope that machine also comes in white¡
  • Reply 6 of 10
    totaltotal Posts: 83member
    So iphone 5s replacement cost $79 and 5-5c cost $149? Thats strange, i would expect 5S will be expensive.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    total wrote: »
    So iphone 5s replacement cost $79 and 5-5c cost $149? Thats strange, i would expect 5S will be expensive.

Not strange after reading charlituna's explanation.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Unless you plan to use the phone indefinitely, i wouldnt suggest minor screen repairs unless they are super cheap. They are planned to be obsolete within 2-3 years in the sense that most iphone owners will want the latest hardware and software most likely.

An "indestructible" sapphire screen probabaly couldnt come any sooner for those of us that obsess about these things.

Who am i kidding anyway ... The typical iphone user wants a great looking phone and a crack will not be likely less acceptable to a iphone user than a samsung user.
  • Reply 9 of 10

you clearly haven't seen high school or college girl's iphones..   they ALL have destroyed screens but too afraid to ask daddy to replace them.. 

• Reply 10 of 10
    truffoltruffol Posts: 50member
    Almost thought that was a 3D printer..