Samsung earnings disappoint as company blames competition in smartphone space

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSince86 View Post

There's also some poetic justice at play in this Samsung pickle...

While Samsung has been looking in the direction of Apple for something to copy and imitate, a slew of smaller Asian phone makers have been imitating Samsung's handsets and greatly undercutting Samsung's prices.

This situation points out what happens when your company has a lot of ambition, but much less strategy than ambition: you can find that you painted yourself into a corner in failing to have defined a distinctive level for your products and a clear path to follow through the competitive landscape.

I suspect that all those high margin refrigerators subsidize the phones.

• Reply 82 of 103
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Apple row their own canoe, an iPhone 6 will not be a "response" to anything, particularly anything Samsung has done.
  • Reply 83 of 103
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Recall reading last week that Tizen is DOA.

Things not looking good for Sammy....

That's what I predicted...Tizen = DroidZen = DOA

• Reply 84 of 103
    sog35 wrote: »
    The threat of the iPhone6 is causing people not to buy phones right now

The iPhone 5c and 5s are selling very well: combined sales are up 12.7% from the year before.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    I've shared before, I take great pleasure in steering people away from buying Scamsung's products, e.g., informing my in-laws about Scamsung's total lack of ethics, which resulted in them changing their minds and buying an LG washer and dryer set, instead of the Scamsung models they were prepared to purchase. Did this hurt Scamsung much? No...BUT I sure felt good knowing I was making a difference, even if a small one.

Scamsung, may your bilges fill with putrid waters, may your sails rip to shreds, and may Steve Ballmer (or someone with his qualities) man the helm.

Bon voyage!

Well your not the only one. There are many out there including me that does the same.
    All I can say is, Apple better diversify its supply chain away from Samsung and look hard at its production dependence on China and any Chinese component suppliers too. An all-out war is brooding and it only takes one weak link in the chain to be broken (one supplier not providing something to Apple that Apple cannot source elsewhere) and Bam!, Apple can't build product. I wonder if this keeps Tim Cook up nights. It should.

Not really, I disagree. The component manufacturers market is something that goes through extensive bidding. There are a number of companies that have the tech to manufacture the parts. The only reason Samsungs doing it is coz they prolly have a faster / cheaper turn out rate.
  • Reply 86 of 103
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Am I the only one that no longer finds humor in the variations of the word Samsung?
  • Reply 87 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

All I can say is, Apple better diversify its supply chain away from Samsung and look hard at its production dependence on China and any Chinese component suppliers too. An all-out war is brooding and it only takes one weak link in the chain to be broken (one supplier not providing something to Apple that Apple cannot source elsewhere) and Bam!, Apple can't build product. I wonder if this keeps Tim Cook up nights. It should.

What would cause a supplier not to give Apple what they need? Are you suggesting that someone like Samsung would play games and cut off Apple? Would never happen. They would shot themselves in the foot and nobody else would ever trust them again to supply parts if they ran their business like 12 year olds and ignored contracts with customers. If you're referring to something larger (political or natural disaster) then there's nothing Apple (or anyone else) could do to prevent it anyway, so why worry?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Am I the only one that no longer finds humor in the variations of the word Samsung?

Yes it's a little childish. Just like people who put "i" in front of a word and think they're clever.

• Reply 88 of 103
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    docwallaby wrote: »
    You're missing the point. Google doesn't want the EU to treat it like a monopoly, meaning that it's in its own best interest for Apple to have about a 20% piece of the pie in Europe.

I appreciate your concern but no I am not missing any points. 'Gatoraid' is a schil for Google and takes every opportunity to pretend to write articles that seem supportive of Apple but are actually designed to sow seeds of doubt. I just enjoy calling him out on his crap.
  • Reply 89 of 103
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    C'mon now, celebrating the shortcomings of Samsung serves no useful purpose. Apple has its own roadmap and strategy and doesn't spend two minutes worrying about what Samsung is doing. Samsung up or Samsung down, who cares?
  • Reply 90 of 103
    dewme wrote: »
    C'mon now, celebrating the shortcomings of Samsung serves no useful purpose. Apple has its own roadmap and strategy and doesn't spend two minutes worrying about what Samsung is doing. Samsung up or Samsung down, who cares?

But they do care about what Shamsung is doing as the most recent trial showed. It's the reason so much of the Apple marketing is moving in-house. Schiller et al openly complained to TBWI (or whatever) about Shamesung's marketing taking away mindshare. Another case (pun intended) for Apple's caring about Scamsung are all the trials they've been in (though those are thankfully subsiding while Spamsung will soon be imploding).

Their shortcomings should be celebrated. If you steal and cheat and bash you better back it up, and they didn't. For the, what, third quarter in a row? Third quarter in a row lower profits? Third quarter in a row y-o-y losses? BOGO offers on your flagship phone on launch? A terrible "me too" fingerprint reader? A "me too" proclamation of having a 64-bit chip to suggest that it's not a big deal that Apple got there? Yeah, keep spending that $14 billion on marketing while you profits keep sinking and your sales keep shrinking.

As a wise man once said... 'How's my a** taste?' I can't wait for Cook to drop the hammer on these Spermsung fools this quarter.

I'm sure Cook is loving it.

*all Samdung name variations for @dasanman69's benefit :)
  • Reply 91 of 103
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

The Daily Telegraph in England made some interesting points about this today.  They said that ultimately as smartphones cease to be differentiated by hardware, and they made the point that once, for examples, screens become such high resolution that your eye can't discern an even higher resolution, people will end up buying phones based on:

1. Familiarity

2. Price

Familiarity is a function of the OS, so if you're into iOS, you will continue buying Apple, but if you're into Android, you can easily move from Samsung to someone else, and that someone else can easily be someone with lower price.

As the market matures, Apple are going to be ever more the only company in the space that makes any profit out of phones.

Let's not forget ease of use and truly innovative software developers choosing to prioritise iOS development to minimise hardware configurations.

I predict that security will begin to gain traction as an important driver when the public gain awareness about the key differences between iOS and Android.

• Reply 92 of 103

Thanks for your consideration :lol:
  • Reply 93 of 103
    Everyone waiting for Apples new phones. Then let's see their earnings, quality always catches up w junk
  • Reply 94 of 103
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Don't care about your #1 competitor?

What is this, little league baseball where everyone gets a trophy?

of course Apple should care whats going on with Samsung

Apple isn't playing the same game that Samsung is playing. They have totally different focus, culture, and values. The fact that a rogue group within Samsung stole something of value from Apple and Samsung's parent company did nothing to penalize the group speaks volumes about how radically different Samsung is from Apple. Apple's attempts to get Samsung to pay for its crimes was done for reasons of righting a wrong and not for competitive concerns. Apple continues to source buttloads of components from Samsung, something they would never do if they saw Samsung as a competitive threat.

You may think that applying narrowly focused perspectives, which are characteristic of sports competitions, provides an accurate portrayal of the relationship between Apple and Samsung. But it's wrong. Apple is bigger and better than that and never takes its eyes off the only thing that really matters to them - their customers. Whether they get taken advantage of by unscrupulous parts suppliers or beaten up repeatly by self anointed experts and pundits they always stay the course and always lead with doing what's right for their customers and being accountable to their customers. Just look at the transcripts from any of their quarterly updates.

There is no trophy up for grabs between Apple and Samsung, and yes, Apple basically doesn't give a crap about Samsung's performance in the market because Apple only judges their success by what their customers tell them through their engagement in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has no time and no interest in celebrating failure of any kind. They have better things to do.
  • Reply 95 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Even though Samsung is at loggerheads with Apple on the devices front, their semiconductor manufacturing operates as an almost autonomous unit. For a manager responsible for hitting sales targets, what do they gain by cutting off their biggest customer?

Apple is the customer that everybody wants, because they pay up front and in full. If a component maker's fab has capacity issues, Apple will front the capital improvement costs. No other component customer can do all that, so Apple is very much in the driver's seat. Since Apple pays up front, rather than on delivery, they get first dibs on components and a supplier cannot simply withhold something that Apple already paid for, in favor of another customer.

Tim Cook is one of the foremost supply chain gurus on the planet. I'm sure he knows what he's doing, if the past 15 years is any indication.

• Reply 96 of 103
    dasanman69 wrote: »

I agree, Jasonman. It's terribly juvenile.
  • Reply 97 of 103
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Thanks for your consideration :lol:

Good to see such politeness, asianman69.
  • Reply 98 of 103
    dewme wrote: »
    Don't care about your #1 competitor?

What is this, little league baseball where everyone gets a trophy?

of course Apple should care whats going on with Samsung

Apple isn't playing the same game that Samdunghill is playing. They have totally different focus, culture, and values. The fact that a rogue group within Samsteal stole something of value from Apple and Samesung's parent company did nothing to penalize the group speaks volumes about how radically different Scamsung is from Apple. Apple's attempts to get Spitsnog to pay for its crimes was done for reasons of righting a wrong and not for competitive concerns. Apple continues to source buttloads of components from Samspants, something they would never do if they saw Shawshang as a competitive threat.

You may think that applying narrowly focused perspectives, which are characteristic of sports competitions, provides an accurate portrayal of the relationship between Apple and Shamesung. But it's wrong. Apple is bigger and better than that and never takes its eyes off the only thing that really matters to them - their customers. Whether they get taken advantage of by unscrupulous parts suppliers or beaten up repeatly by self anointed experts and pundits they always stay the course and always lead with doing what's right for their customers and being accountable to their customers. Just look at the transcripts from any of their quarterly updates.

There is no trophy up for grabs between Apple and Sam'sbun, and yes, Apple basically doesn't give a crap about Sadplum's performance in the market because Apple only judges their success by what their customers tell them through their engagement in the Apple ecosystem. Apple has no time and no interest in celebrating failure of any kind. They have better things to do.

Agreed (and edited for basinman69's enjoyment).
  • Reply 99 of 103
    I agree, Jasonman. It's terribly juvenile.

Good to see such politeness, asianman69.

Thanks bean jam frosting ;)
  • Reply 100 of 103
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    thevofl wrote: »
    I didn't say cheap.  Cheap implies reduced quality.

They wouldn't be throwing 15B away.  Cost of memory has dropped.  Apple hasn't had an adjustment to the pricing/memory in a number of generations; they are due for one.  Also they would be more attractive to a great number of other customers who are looking for a more cost effective phone.

If this strategy was so ineffective and against their goals, then why is there an 8Gb iPhone in some markets?

iPhone 6c