Home button parts claimed to be for Apple's 4.7" & 5.5" 'iPhone 6' units surface with different desi

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A pair of parts claimed to be for both Apple's anticipated 4.7- and 5.5-inch "iPhone 6" models were posted online Friday, showing very different designs not only from each other, but from the current iPhone 5s.

Images via Nowhereelse.fr.

The images shared by Nowhereelse.fr suggest that while the iPhone 5s home button cable looped around with a 180-degree turn, the 4.7-inch "iPhone 6" version will be a straight cable, while the 5.5-inch version may have a slight curve. The parts, if they are indeed legitimate, imply that Apple will have very different internal layouts for both of its anticipated upcoming "iPhone 6" models.

Identification numbers associated with the cables match up with previous leaks and parts from Apple, which bolsters speculation that the parts are indeed legitimate.

Another part pictured in Friday's report is an "induction flex" cable claimed to be from Apple's 4.7-inch model. This part suggests that while the photo sensor was part of the cable on the iPhone 5s, this may change with the "iPhone 6."

The last few weeks have produced a deluge of parts believed to be from Apple's next-generation iPhones, suggesting that production of the handsets is ramping up in the Far East ahead of an anticipated launch this fall. Parts include logic boards, various cables, rear shells, ports, batteries, and front panels.

For the most part these components have not given specifics about the capabilities of the "iPhone 6." For example, one leaked logic board was lacking any chips, but was accompanied by mere claims that the next-generation iPhone will support ultra-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

Apple is expected to unveil its next iPhone in two screen sizes at a media event in September. The company traditionally releases the product to the public on a Friday about a week and a half after the device's unveiling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Interesting, the parts we see leaked and the parts we don't. I think these are put out or allowed by Apple. In the past sich parts have leaked, and not affected sales. But we don't see anything we can do anything with. Like an A8. Or a working display. Or a battery. Or a box. Or a camera lens. Mere coincidence? I think not.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    In 2 sizes? Only 2 sizes? I recall seeing surveys of what size phones Apple customers would prefer, and the old 4" phone was way up there in numbers. Apple is going to drop that one? Doesn't seem right. (I know they will keep the 5S around as a cheaper model, but I'm talking about iPhone 6.)
  • Reply 3 of 31
    quazzequazze Posts: 30member
    I'm curious as to why no one has mentioned an upgrade for the 5c. Is it possible for some parts to be associated with a possible 6c?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

In 2 sizes? Only 2 sizes? I recall seeing surveys of what size phones Apple customers would prefer, and the old 4" phone was way up there in numbers. Apple is going to drop that one? Doesn't seem right. (I know they will keep the 5S around as a cheaper model, but I'm talking about iPhone 6.)

Apple replaced the 4S with only one size and did pretty well with it.  

• Reply 5 of 31
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Interesting, the parts we see leaked and the parts we don't. I think these are put out or allowed by Apple. In the past sich parts have leaked, and not affected sales. But we don't see anything we can do anything with. Like an A8. Or a working display. Or a battery. Or a box. Or a camera lens. Mere coincidence? I think not.

What can we do with an A8? Besides, we all know it will have an A8. We have already seen battery leaks and case leaks. A camera lens would be nice except that we know Sony makes the cameras for Apple so that would be a Sony leak. These components are leaked because Apple outsources thousands of components to be assembled by several factories throughout Asia. Seem like legitimate leaks to me.

• Reply 6 of 31

This is exciting !!!!

/s

• Reply 7 of 31
    sog35 wrote: »
    so obvious the 5.5 is coming.

How do you know that? I don't see anything on these cables that says "for iPhone 5.5 inch" other that what nowhereelse.fr claims it to be. If someone snaps a blurry picture of a large dark shape in the woods, do you believe the attached claim that it is Bigfoot?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Does that iPhone 6 button suggest that the home button might be squared off a little? The pressable area doesn't seem completely round like the iPhone 5S part does.

And what about the iPhone Air (5.5 inch?) part—that looks round but tiny. Are these to scale with each other?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I remember everyone saying the 5C was fake for months last year.

TRUE!

"5C is fake".

"Multiple colors? No way...".

"Plastic? WTF! Impossible!"

• Reply 10 of 31
    allenbf wrote: »
    Apple replaced the 4S with only one size and did pretty well with it.  
    4 inch is extremly simular size to 3.5, 4.7 is not to 4, there are some that still prefer a move back to 3.5, I think there is likely more that prefer 3.5/4 inch to a 5.5 inch that people don't realize.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

4 inch is extremly simular size to 3.5, 4.7 is not to 4, there are some that still prefer a move back to 3.5, I think there is likely more that prefer 3.5/4 inch to a 5.5 inch that people don't realize.

I agree that there are likely more people who prefer 4' to a 5.5' phone.  I'm one of those people.  But I've used a 4.7 inch phone, it's the perfect sweet spot.  IMO, of course.

• Reply 12 of 31
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How do you know that? I don't see anything on these cables that says "for iPhone 5.5 inch" other that what nowhereelse.fr claims it to be. If someone snaps a blurry picture of a large dark shape in the woods, do you believe the attached claim that it is Bigfoot?

Perhaps Apple have made two different sorts of home button flex, and will randomly decide which one goes into each 4.7" iPhone?

• Reply 13 of 31
    Based off the way the home button flex has points to be soldered it points to the iPad Mini receiving Touch ID this year. The current iPad Mini has the home button soldered to it and this only makes sense. With it being a 'compact' design doesn't mean that is is for a future iPhone model. The iPad Mini doesn't have much room to spare right between the digitizer and metal frame for Apple to not make a small design. Also this would make repair by none apple affiliated repair companies very difficult as it is nearly impossible to solder the current home button on the iPad Mini that has 2 solder pins (they are very small), you would need machines to solder it unless you are very good at soldering.
    And as for rumors saying Apple will release 2 different models (4.7 and 5.5) at different times it wouldn't make sense. The 5.5 wouldn't cannibalize the 4.7 model. It is too big and the market isn't too big for that model so they wouldn't need to worry or fear that, and why would that be bad if the big phone sold more? It will be price higher than the smaller model, i'm sure they would like to rake in more money from a bigger model that doesn't cost much more to produce.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Based off the way the home button flex has points to be soldered it points to the iPad Mini receiving Touch ID this year. The current iPad Mini has the home button soldered to it and this only makes sense. With it being a 'compact' design doesn't mean that is is for a future iPhone model. The iPad Mini doesn't have much room to spare right between the digitizer and metal frame for Apple to not make a small design. Also this would make repair by none apple affiliated repair companies very difficult as it is nearly impossible to solder the current home button on the iPad Mini that has 2 solder pins (they are very small), you would need machines to solder it unless you are very good at soldering.
    And as for rumors saying Apple will release 2 different models (4.7 and 5.5) at different times it wouldn't make sense. The 5.5 wouldn't cannibalize the 4.7 model. It is too big and the market isn't too big for that model so they wouldn't need to worry or fear that, and why would that be bad if the big phone sold more? It will be price higher than the smaller model, i'm sure they would like to rake in more money from a bigger model that doesn't cost much more to produce.
  • Reply 15 of 31

I can see Apple once they faze out the iPhone 5S in 2 years creating a 4 inch model for the people that want it. It only makes sense. Or they will keep the iPhone 5S around for many years to come since it does have a desktop class processor that out performs many if not all the Android phones with multiple cores when it is a dual-core chip. 

• Reply 16 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Where there is smoke there is fire.  

but wheres the smoke? how do these parts identify themselves at 5.5" parts?

• Reply 17 of 31

its very interesting to know this  

• Reply 18 of 31
    darklite wrote: »
    Perhaps Apple have made two different sorts of home button flex, and will randomly decide which one goes into each 4.7" iPhone?

For all we know, the parts shown could be for a future iPad or parts that were produced for an in-house prototype. It might even be from a 5.5" iPhone. There's nothing in the part that says what size the screen will be. You might as well take a picture of a USB plug and claim its from a new keyboard that's going to be 18.5" long.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

If these images are to scale, wouldn’t that prove that the 5.5” device is an iPod touch?

so obvious the 5.5 is coming.

So obvious that you know nothing whatsoever.

you wanna make a bet?

You want to stop this nonsense?

I remember everyone saying the 5C was fake for months last year.

I remember “everyone” saying the 2.5” iPhone mini was real for months in 2008. I remember “everyone” saying the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 would be released at the same time for months in 2011. I remember “everyone” saying that Apple was making an HDTV for months in 2012.

Want me to continue?

• Reply 20 of 31
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member
    I need to know about the u-bend cable.