Apple, Samsung shed smartphone share in Q2 as market continues to explode

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I agree with you.  I wouldn't be too quick to crow about it though, because it won't help Apple sell phones that cost 2 times what these commoditised android hardware flagships are selling for, it will just make Apple's premium pricing even harder to swallow.

Every successful business has a monopoly on something. Even if only a perceived something: that's really all that matters when it comes to buying decisions.

For Apple iPhone users, it's the iOS UX (with Continuity coming soon), iMessage, FaceTime, iTunes, and App Store ecosystems.

This is why Samsung wants to control more of its phone's UX, features, and ecosystem (with something like Tizen) instead of competing with other manufacturers to offer Google's UX, services, and ecosystem. Listen to what hardcore Android fans want: "commoditized Android phone" running "stock Android OS"... That is a future where Samsung's role is reduced to just another Android OEM, forced to compete on price with the Huaweis of the world. Where will that leave Samsung? HP and Dell and Sony can attest to what happens when you sign up to sell someone else's OS, someone else's app ecosystem. Profit margins fall, and the hardware becomes interchangeable, relatively undifferentiated. You can have huge marketshare like HP and barely make enough profit to stay in the game, cutting corners to beat the other guy in a race to the bottom of the commodity hardware barrel. And when you cut enough corners, Apple's platform suddenly looks really, really unique, different, better, the way the Mac looks against commodity PCs.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Every successful business has a monopoly on something. Even if only a perceived something: that's really all that matters when it comes to buying decisions.

For Apple iPhone users, it's the iOS UX (with Continuity coming soon), iMessage, FaceTime, iTunes, and App Store ecosystems.

This is why Samsung wants to control more of its phone's UX, features, and ecosystem (with something like Tizen) instead of competing with other manufacturers to offer Google's UX, services, and ecosystem. Listen to what hardcore Android fans want: "commoditized Android phone" running "stock Android OS"... That is a future where Samsung's role is reduced to just another Android OEM, forced to compete on price with the Huaweis of the world. Where will that leave Samsung? HP and Dell and Sony can attest to what happens when you sign up to sell someone else's OS, someone else's app ecosystem. Profit margins fall, and the hardware becomes interchangeable, relatively undifferentiated. You can have huge marketshare like HP and barely make enough profit to stay in the game, cutting corners to beat the other guy in a race to the bottom of the commodity hardware barrel. And when you cut enough corners, Apple's platform suddenly looks really, really unique, different, better, the way the Mac looks against commodity PCs.

So then why did Palm fail, and BB failing fast? They had their own ecosystem, and unique UI/UX.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    relic wrote: »
    I don't need the entire file system, just my home directory.
    Perhaps I misread your post. I would love that feature without question. I send audio and midi files back and forth with various people. Being able to see (and sort by file type) all my mail attachments and my Dropbox (or equivalent) content simultaneously would be fantastic.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    lloydbm4lloydbm4 Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So then why did Palm fail, and BB failing fast? They had their own ecosystem, and unique UI/UX.

Did either of them have factories, assembly workers, R&D departments, chip foundries, etc.. to build their smartphones from beginning to end? Big difference being able to build your own mobile devices and not dependant upon a Chinese factory to churn out several independent parts, subject to delays and mismanagement. 

This is one of the main reasons why Samsung is able to sell nearly as many smartphones as the other top 5 companies combined, every single quarter. Gonna take a long time before Samsung 'fails'. Probably about as long as it will take Apple to fail. 

• Reply 25 of 40
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    Did either of them have factories, assembly workers, R&D departments, chip foundries, etc.. to build their smartphones from beginning to end? Big difference being able to build your own mobile devices and not dependant upon a Chinese factory to churn out several independent parts, subject to delays and mismanagement. 
    This is one of the main reasons why Samsung is able to sell nearly as many smartphones as the other top 5 companies combined, every single quarter. Gonna take a long time before Samsung 'fails'. Probably about as long as it will take Apple to fail. 

I don't know, but what does that have to do with a ecosystem, and UX/UI?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I agree with you.  I wouldn't be too quick to crow about it though, because it won't help Apple sell phones that cost 2 times what these commoditised android hardware flagships are selling for, it will just make Apple's premium pricing even harder to swallow.

My son needs a new phone.  I was looking at getting him the 1+ One which is touted as an affordable flagship killer.  The 16 Gb version of this phone is $299 while the 64Gb model is $350.  These prices are for top end hardware specs and decent build quality (possibly)  The availability of such a bargain does not make me suddenly inclined to say 'that's a fantastic bargain , but it's too cheap, I'd rather pay nearly double that for an iPhone', quite the reverse.  It makes me more inclined to view the iPhone as over priced.

The 1+ One isn't really available so I ditched that idea and have ordered an LG G2 instead.

One major reason why I won't allow Android on any network I control:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/29/new-android-fake-id-flaw-empowers-stealthy-new-class-of-super-malware-

I wouldn't get my kids an Android for whatever reason. Far too risky.

• Reply 27 of 40
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    hexclock wrote: »
    Perhaps I misread your post. I would love that feature without question. I send audio and midi files back and forth with various people. Being able to see (and sort by file type) all my mail attachments and my Dropbox (or equivalent) content simultaneously would be fantastic.

Exactly, I use my iPad exclusively for music apps and right now its an absolute pain in the butt dealing with files associated with those apps, specifically midi and raw WAV. I understand why Apple won't allow you to see the home directly when connected to a computer, their agressivly trying to avoid side loading media files, they want their users buying from iTunes. However why not the device itself, with every other mobile gadget I own, I always start off in the file manager, I click on a file, a menu pops down and I choose the program I want to open it with, awesome. I can log into every cloud storage I have, local, my NAS, copy files between them, back stuff up, send the file to an email address within the file manger app, list goes on and on. I'm hoping that now that Apple is putting more effort into Enterprise they will eventually start supporting this, I mean they have to right, how are users supposed to get their files from shared Samba servers without one. Just give me ES File Explorer for iOS and I will be the happiest person in the world, would even stop using my Nexus 10, well maybe not as its the best media player that I own but I would defiantly start using my iPad more.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member

If you look at the market share of only the top 5, Apple went up from 21.91% to 21.94%.  While admittedly a miniscule percentage, IDC seems to hate Apple, and padded the "Other" numbers - which can NEVER be verified, to make it look like Apple lost a good percentage.  Way to skew the numbers!

• Reply 29 of 40
    misamisa Posts: 827member

My son needs a new phone.  I was looking at getting him the 1+ One which is touted as an affordable flagship killer.  The 16 Gb version of this phone is $299 while the 64Gb model is $350.  These prices are for top end hardware specs and decent build quality (possibly)  The availability of such a bargain does not make me suddenly inclined to say 'that's a fantastic bargain , but it's too cheap, I'd rather pay nearly double that for an iPhone', quite the reverse.  It makes me more inclined to view the iPhone as over priced.

The 1+ One isn't really available so I ditched that idea and have ordered an LG G2 instead.

Yuck, I wouldn't touch LG or Samsung owing to experiences having to support their devices, and the extremely high return/warranty repair rate. I'm not sure if things have changed since, but a quick search on Google suggests LG/Samsung have their fingers in way too many pies to actually engineer solid products. I'll also point out again the correlation is that these devices were given away for free or almost free, hence many people were getting them thinking they were getting the latest phone when the reality is that it's just the same parts they were using last year in some other market but on the US frequencies. The carrier isn't going to subsidize a 900$ smartphone, which they make 50$ on when they can sell a 600$ smartphone on a two year contract that only cost them 80$ wholesale.

The US wireless system is just one large Ponzi scheme, you're better off just buying the device you want at full price, and keeping it for 5-8 years, than being forced into the 18 month disposablility cycle that Android phones are horribly stuck in.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    You lost me as soon as you said IDC. Moving on.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    sog35 wrote: »
    Not to mention that most Android phones stop getting OS updates after 12 months, thus many of your favorite apps may no longer work after 1 year.

I had to duck to avoid that load of BS. :lol:
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

In the long run the LG will cost more.  Most iPhones last 4-5 years while most Androids last 2 years.  Plus the resale value of 2 year old iPhones is much higher than the LG.  In two years the LG will be worthless.  You can still sell 2 year old iPhone5 for $300 on ebay. 

Not to mention the risk of malware, hacking, spyware is much higher on an Android device.  Not to mention that most Android phones stop getting OS updates after 12 months, thus many of your favorite apps may no longer work after 1 year.

If you leave it to the manufacture, then yes, most Android phones last 2 years. If you update it yourself, 5 plus years, no problem. Samsung and LG both have plug'n play flashing software, its as easy as plugging in your phone, download a Rom and click flash. There is no longer a need for special software or hacking, any Joe Some can do it. For instance the original Android phone the G1 has a few Android 4.2.2 ROMs available and their actually working on a Kit Kat release because it requires less memory, yes it'll probably run slow but you can still keep it going as long as you want. As far as build quality is concerned, well if you buy a cheap phone then it probably won't last long but something like a Samsung S2 or LG G1 will easily last just as long as an iPhone without problems, probably longer as you don't have the screen cracking problem and you can replace the battery and if you do need a new glass, it costs less then 30 bucks on eBay to get a mew one. My white S2 also looks like the day I bought it, I still goof around on it, mostly use it for the MIUI ROM, which is probably one of the coolest custom Android ROM out their. I also have an HTC desire with slide out keyboard which is in pristine condition and though there is Kit Kat 4.4.4 version available, I'm using Sailfish instead. There is also CyanogenMod who have breathed new life into older Android phones, even offering over the air updates, so once you flash your phone you'll get at least 5 years of updates.

I've said this before but I have never had a single Malware infection on any of my Android phones, ever, if you follow proper security protocol, ie don't side load apps, you should be fine. These Malware infections come from little crappy apps that a user has no business installing, when you stay with main stream apps, again you won't have a problem. 

• Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

You lost me as soon as you said IDC. Moving on.

But next week when the data is favorable to Apple, IDC will again be in your good graces.

• Reply 34 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Yuck, I wouldn't touch LG or Samsung owing to experiences having to support their devices, and the extremely high return/warranty repair rate. I'm not sure if things have changed since, but a quick search on Google suggests LG/Samsung have their fingers in way too many pies to actually engineer solid products. I'll also point out again the correlation is that these devices were given away for free or almost free, hence many people were getting them thinking they were getting the latest phone when the reality is that it's just the same parts they were using last year in some other market but on the US frequencies. The carrier isn't going to subsidize a 900$ smartphone, which they make 50$ on when they can sell a 600$ smartphone on a two year contract that only cost them 80$ wholesale.

The US wireless system is just one large Ponzi scheme, you're better off just buying the device you want at full price, and keeping it for 5-8 years, than being forced into the 18 month disposablility cycle that Android phones are horribly stuck in.

Thank you for your concern but I am in Ireland and I have never had a phone on contract and always buy them outright.  Sorry, but my experience is that Samsung engineer solid products.  The phone my son currently has is a Samsung Jet which has seen constant use for 5 years.  I still use my Samsung Wave which is 4 years old, is still going strong and is in very good condition.  The perpetual stream of bias-informed misinformation on AI about the supposedly shoddy build quality of non-Apple products is tiresome.  The wave has an almost entirely metal body, gorilla glass 2 screen and a camera that Apple couldn't equal till the 4S came out, not to mention Apple have never made a phone that could touch it for battery life.

The 5 year old jet has a 301 ppi screen and therefore had a 'retina' class display before Apple coined the term and came out with the 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

In the long run the LG will cost more.  Most iPhones last 4-5 years while most Androids last 2 years.  Plus the resale value of 2 year old iPhones is much higher than the LG.  In two years the LG will be worthless.  You can still sell 2 year old iPhone5 for $300 on ebay. 

Not to mention the risk of malware, hacking, spyware is much higher on an Android device.  Not to mention that most Android phones stop getting OS updates after 12 months, thus many of your favorite apps may no longer work after 1 year.

I asked him if he wanted an iPhone and he said he didn't.  You have been listening to DED - I can tell.  :-)

I am not interested in the resale value as I would expect my son will likely use it till it no longer functions.  He is currently doing IT at university and a major reason for getting him the G2 is so that he has a more modern device that is more relevant to the modern phone OS environment and App development.  I happen to have already seen mention of people running the G3 firmware on the G2 so I am not too worried about it being obsoleted within 12 months - which, by the way, is exactly what Apple did to my daughter's ipod Touch, so touting Apple as a paragon of virtue in that regard doesn't wash with me.

• Reply 35 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    hexclock wrote: »
    Perhaps I misread your post. I would love that feature without question. I send audio and midi files back and forth with various people. Being able to see (and sort by file type) all
    my mail attachments and my Dropbox (or equivalent) content simultaneously would be fantastic.

Something like that in iOS 8.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Thank you for your concern but I am in Ireland and I have never had a phone on contract and always buy them outright.  Sorry, but my experience is that Samsung engineer solid products.  The phone my son currently has is a Samsung Jet which has seen constant use for 5 years.  I still use my Samsung Wave which is 4 years old, is still going strong and is in very good condition.  The perpetual stream of bias-informed misinformation on AI about the supposedly shoddy build quality of non-Apple products is tiresome.  The wave has an almost entirely metal body, gorilla glass 2 screen and a camera that Apple couldn't equal till the 4S came out, not to mention Apple have never made a phone that could touch it for battery life.

The 5 year old jet has a 301 ppi screen and therefore had a 'retina' class display before Apple coined the term and came out with the 4.

I asked him if he wanted an iPhone and he said he didn't.  You have been listening to DED - I can tell.  :-)

I am not interested in the resale value as I would expect my son will likely use it till it no longer functions.  He is currently doing IT at university and a major reason for getting him the G2 is so that he has a more modern device that is more relevant to the modern phone OS environment and App development.  I happen to have already seen mention of people running the G3 firmware on the G2 so I am not too worried about it being obsoleted within 12 months - which, by the way, is exactly what Apple did to my daughter's ipod Touch, so touting Apple as a paragon of virtue in that regard doesn't wash with me.

Ireland's IT courses are heavily java centric. However the jobs available are equally Android and iOS. However your son wants what he is learning. He should try learn what isn't being taught - like swift etc.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    SAMDUNG is in huge trouble.

Their top end Galaxy S5 is selling worse than the S4.
    Their flagship S5 was outsold by Apples 5C.
    Their total phones are down 4%

We are nearing the point where all Android phones will be commoditized.  There will be no reason to buy a copycat $700 Samdung when you can buy a copycat $200 Chinese phone that is just as good.  I'd argue that some of the Xiaomi phones look better than Samdung at half the price.

I predict in 12-18 months (basically by next holiday season) the premium Android market ($600+) will be basically on life support.  With nothing differentiating the high end Android phones to the Chinese stuff the market won't be willing to pay double or triple the price.

The Android phone market will basically be the WindowsPC market.  The vast majority will buy the cheap crap with a very few opting for the top of the line.  If they want top of the line they will go to Apple.

Samdung?.. Really.. If you are over the age of 12 I'm embarrassed for you..
  • Reply 38 of 40

Could you name 1 app.that won't work on a 1 yr old droid handset pls sir.. If you can, you can have one of my kidneys..
    Can I ask why the propaganda April against android?.. Is it like the pretty girl in the playground, You.like.her but call.her names in front of.your mates..
  • Reply 39 of 40

Wise kid..