Apple officially closes on $3B purchase of Beats headphones & streaming service

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Again all you old white men need to STFU already. 

And so why should anyone listen to an exclusionist like you?

• Reply 42 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Who says beats are not high quality? 
    And that's not even the point.  They are a fashion accessory first and foremost.
    Just get that through your head first.

Its like arguing that a digital watch is much more accurate than a rolex so why would people choose to spend 10x more for a rolex?  Its about STYLE STUPID. (stupid is not directed to you, just a saying)
    I've had two pairs of Beats. The cords frayed on both rendering them useless. I paid well over $100 for them. After the second pair broke I returned them to Best Buy and spent the money on a nice pair of Klipsch and haven't looked back. I get that Beats is all about fashion but Apple has proved you can be fashionable and provide a superior quality product. Beats have the fashion (though I think some of it is ugly), they have the brand and the high price (so they can consider themselves "premium") what they're missing is quality. If Apple can bring the quality, great.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You mean the free ones that comes with the phone?  Ya- they're worth every penny I paid for them.

Just because they were bundled doesn't mean you didn't pay for them.

• Reply 44 of 111

Listen to the hip hop culture.

Nah, I’m good with not objectifying women or popping caps in people.

Thats why i said STFU.

Oh, I get it! Because that’s what hip hop would say: not articulate an argument at all, just drop it old school on you. Makes sense now.

If Beats does not appeal to you its probably because it wasn't suppose to.

So why would Apple want to keep it around in its current form, then?

• Reply 45 of 111
    iStillBored and iDon'tCare
  • Reply 46 of 111
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Don't listen to me.  Listen to the hip hop culture.  Thats why i said STFU.  Go listen instead of relying on your own opinion of the product.  If Beats does not appeal to you its probably because it wasn't suppose to.

Why are you saying Beats Music equals Hip Hop culture? You seem fixed on this idea and it just isn't true. Please explain because your prejudice is getting wearisome.

Here are three reviews (arbitrarily picked) and they all suggest that you are talking utter crap.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/beats-music-service,review-2002.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2430224,00.asp

http://www.businessinsider.com/beats-versus-spotify-2014-1

• Reply 47 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I think that's exactly what Apple is thinking.

Apple could build their own headphone brand but it would take a very long time to reach the penetration of Beats.  Its alot easier to add Tech to a device than Style.
    Since when is Apple known for great headphone tech? I hope they improve the style and quality of design, like not using cheap plastic.
  • Reply 48 of 111

There you go again with your STEREOTYPING and PREJUDGING. Your own words out you there.

When the words of the songs themselves say the things I am saying, it’s neither pre- nor stereo- anything.

You sound like those old white guys in the 60's that said Rock and Roll was the DEVIL 

‘50s. And before that, swing music was lascivious.

• Reply 49 of 111
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    I wonder to what extent the connections to the media industry through Iovine is linked to their struggle related to the revamped appleTV?
  • Reply 50 of 111
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    Was it ever determined that the purchase was done with
    unrepatriated foreign cash, since both Beats and Apple Inc.
    have Irish subsidiaries, possibly saving taxes, per:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/23/apple-could-save-over-1b-on-alleged-beats-deal-with-international-acquisition---report
  • Reply 51 of 111
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

There you go again with your STEREOTYPING and PREJUDGING.

Like when you called us old white people?  You're utterly ridiculous

• Reply 52 of 111
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    You know nothing about the hip hop culture.  Just stop making a fool of yourself.  Just admit you don't get it and leave it alone.  You are sounding like the 60 year old man who has no idea why you would need a touch screen on a phone.

You sound like the 13 year-old whelp who has no idea why you would need a belt.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You sound like the 13 year-old whelp who has no idea why you would need a belt.

I know you didn’t intend both meanings, but it’s pretty funny to consider both the punishment and the “pants around the ankles” angle. 

• Reply 54 of 111
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

I'm saying Beats headphones not the streaming music.

And my definition of hip hop is probably more broad than yours.  I'm not just talking about gangster rappers.  I consider guys like Lebron, Neymar Jr, Kobe, Will Smith as part of the hip hop culture.

Don't forget Justin Bieber.

• Reply 55 of 111
    Quote:

I'm saying Beats headphones not the streaming music.

And my definition of hip hop is probably more broad than yours.  I'm not just talking about gangster rappers.  I consider guys like Lebron, Neymar Jr, Kobe, Will Smith as part of the hip hop culture.

OK, I was reading you wrong. 

I am not really all that interested in the hardware aspect of the deal, personally. I have no problems with it.

• Reply 56 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

You know nothing about the hip hop culture.  Just stop making a fool of yourself.  Just admit you don't get it and leave it alone.  You are sounding like the 60 year old man who has no idea why you would need a touch screen on a phone.

Your "old white men" bullshit is very tiresome.

• Reply 57 of 111
    To the guy (Sog35) who thinks Hip Hop is the most relevant music genre in existence, the fact is Pop, R&B and Rock markets are all much bigger than Hip Hop/Rap. Check with Billboard or any publication in the world for these facts. You are entitled to your delusions (you sound like Kanye West, are you?), don't let anyone take them away from you.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Quote:

Beats are about a combination of decent tech and style.

Beats is more a designer brand than tech brand.

If it was all about the tech than the professional brands would dominate.

To make it into the mainstream for wearables you need style.  PERIOD.  No matter how good the product is the general population won't wear something if it looks goofy.

No, they're garbage tech.  They're bass-boosting, audio compressing and muddying, low-grade amplifying headphones.  And the speakers - ugh.  No separation, same crummy sound.

Style is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but to me they're UGLY.  Apple could make a much better looking headphone product, and Apple typically works with better audio companies, for example their Harmon Kardon soundstick speakers were quite nice for computer speakers. 

Even Bose would have been a better choice.

• Reply 59 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

No, they're garbage tech.  They're bass-boosting, audio compressing and muddying, low-grade amplifying headphones.  And the speakers - ugh.  No separation, same crummy sound.

Style is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but to me they're UGLY.  Apple could make a much better looking headphone product, and Apple typically works with better audio companies, for example their Harmon Kardon soundstick speakers were quite nice for computer speakers. 

Even Bose would have been a better choice.

Love the Bose streaming service ...

• Reply 60 of 111
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The point is that Apple now controls the majority of the headphone market. I'm not sure how that's not a significant enough "point" by itself. 9/10 people I see with headphones are wearing Beats. Apple can now improve the product as they see fit, but they already have the marketshare and brandshare. 

Makes sense