Apple continues 'Powerful' campaign for the iPhone 5s with new 'Dreams' spot

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Apple on Saturday unveiled "Dreams," the latest in its ongoing series of television advertisements touting the versatility of the iPhone 5s and the wide range of third-party applications and accessories compatible with the handset.

As has become Apple's custom with its iOS advertising, "Dreams" uses a series of short vignettes to focus viewers' attention on the broad array of ways in which people use the iPhone, rather than the device itself. The ad is set to Jennifer O'Connor's When I Grow Up.

It opens with what appear to be two college students using the Vaavud Wind Meter to capture weather data before recording it on a MacBook Air. In another, an artist uses Olloclip's 4-in-1 Lens System and the built-in Camera app as a magnifying glass while she sets a stone into a piece of jewelry.

Other scenes depict a local fire department responding to an emergency call with Response Deck; a doctor using iTranslate Voice to seek a mother's permission to check her child's pulse; an equine veterinarian giving a horse a check-up with Veterinary AliveECG; a pilot navigating with ForeFlight Mobile; scientists analyzing the water composition of a remote river with SAM-1; and an artist painting a mural by combining the built-in Photos app with a digital projector.

"Dreams" is the fourth spot in the app-focused campaign that began in April, following "Powerful", "Strength", and "Parenthood".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    The visuals are nice (8/10) but the music is cringe-worthy (1/10). And it ends on an unnecessarily defensive note.

Who's coming up with this pap at Apple..... Ugh.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Or would you rather be spinning through your bedroom into a taxi that takes you to your magical dancing office with your Surface Pro? Apple's latest set of ads shows real people doing real things that matter. Microsoft's are silly and Samsung's are vindictive.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Love it!!!
  • Reply 4 of 60
    jpellino wrote: »
    Or would you rather be spinning through your bedroom into a taxi that takes you to your magical dancing office with your Surface Pro? Apple's latest set of ads shows real people doing real things that matter. Microsoft's are silly and Samsung's are vindictive.

I guess musical taste differs a great deal from person to person.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The visuals are nice (8/10) but the music is cringe-worthy (1/10). And it ends on an unnecessarily defensive note.

This "living a life of dreams" theme has been on for at least a couple of weeks, in SoCal anyway, so,

I'm not understanding the 'released Saturday' thing...

At first I felt the same about the music, but, as so often happens with Apple's ads, it grew on me, in a sort of hypnotic,

comforting way.  And I've been a fan for a long time of Apple's approach to actually showing people doing

cool stuff with any or all of their devices, in contrast to most of the 'competition', so I generally have to 'agree to disagree' about the ads - sometimes you just have to accept that they are aimed at a broader, less edgy sensibility than perhaps your own, i.e., the rest of us;).

• Reply 6 of 60
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

I must have missed the unnecessarily defensive note.  It ends with "...when I grow up."  How is that defensive?  Or are you speaking of a musical note?  Or the final scene of people poling along a waterway in boats?  Where on earth are you coming up with anything at the end of this ad that could be considered defensive?  I'm not picking up what you're putting down.  

Oh, and the music is light and positive.  Maybe you had a bad week in the market that's affected your perception this morning?

• Reply 7 of 60
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    These commercials and the links to the apps are great. There are so many things the iPhone can do as a tool that it's more than just a phone or a portable internet device.

I have a cheap eight dollar 60x microscope add-on for my iPhone5. I amazed people at work with the pictures it took.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I didn't hear anything defensive about the music but I did the music to be dull, forgettable, and energizing. I didn't think it meshed well with the inspiring clips.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    d2kgd2kg Posts: 5member
    man all of those people using their iPhones with no cases near water freaks me out!
  • Reply 10 of 60
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    If the choice is between this and that Beats/Siri ad then by all means please stick with this.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

These commercials and the links to the apps are great. There are so many things the iPhone can do as a tool that it's more than just a phone or a portable internet device.

I have a cheap eight dollar 60x microscope add-on for my iPhone5. I amazed people at work with the pictures it took.

Just saved it to my Amazon Wishlist. Thanks.

• Reply 12 of 60

I just watched all three ads and thought they were excellent! Real people doing real things with an amazing product. 

P.S. Thanks Ai for putting the links in the article for the apps. Really appreciate it. 

P.S.S. Am I a complainer if I complain about all the people complaining on Ai? Cuz it brings me down lads! :)

• Reply 13 of 60
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Interesting that most dont use a case in the spot.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    The problem with these ads is they only show the iPhone doing things that EVERY other smartphone on the market does. And what firestation uses an iPhone to manage emergency calls? Cmon Apple. This is garbage.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    I must have missed the unnecessarily defensive note.  It ends with "...when I grow up."  How is that defensive?  Or are you speaking of a musical note?  Or the final scene of people poling along a waterway in boats?  Where on earth are you coming up with anything at the end of this ad that could be considered defensive?  I'm not picking up what you're putting down.  

Oh, and the music is light and positive.  Maybe you had a bad week in the market that's affected your perception this morning?

I felt the exact same way as you. I was typing up a very similar response, but when I saw yours (which happened to be much better written than mine), I just decided to quote you instead.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I just watched all three ads and thought they were excellent! Real people doing real things with an amazing product. 

P.S. Thanks Ai for putting the links in the article for the apps. Really appreciate it. 

P.S.S. Am I a complainer if I complain about all the people complaining on Ai? Cuz it brings me down lads! :)

Yeah, I think AI must have an agreement with google or something. I can't understand why else  they would always link to the youtube posting of these ads.

I always just go to Apple's website itself for the "Full True Experience" :D All the Apps are featured right below the ad.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/powerful/

As for complaining; Sadly, that's the main use of comment boards. (maybe the entire internet)

• Reply 17 of 60
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

If the choice is between this and that Beats/Siri ad then by all means please stick with this.

Yeah, that sounds good. Because what you like is more valid than what other people like. And we all know Apple can't do more than one thing. so… yeah.

• Reply 18 of 60
    Good ad, better then beats.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Yeah, I think AI must have an agreement with google or something. I can't understand why else  they would always link to the youtube posting of these ads.

I always just go to Apple's website itself for the "Full True Experience" :D All the Apps are featured right below the ad.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/powerful/

As for complaining; Sadly, that's the main use of comment boards. (maybe the entire internet)

Hey good idea, Bob. I'll go to Apple's website from now on. Thx. :)

"As for complaining....(maybe the entire internet)" made me smile. :)

Best

• Reply 20 of 60
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Quote:

Perfect and you are wrong, shows what the iPhone can do and that is all people care about in the end.