Apple continues 'Powerful' campaign for the iPhone 5s with new 'Dreams' spot

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I guess musical taste differs a great deal from person to person.

That is where you are lost again, suffering from attention problems because you don't like the music Hmm....

• Reply 22 of 60
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator

I thought the music was nice and very appropriate. The full version is here:

The ad series is about empowerment and the lyrics fit that theme:

"When I grow up
    I’ll be the hero
    Of my story book
    I’ll start at zero
    And rise and fall
    And rise and fall again
    My head, my heart
    I’ll fly into the wind

When I grow up
    The sun will greet me
    And every day
    I’ll meet it completely
    I’ll catch each wave and swim until I’m tired
    I’ll practice every move, so inspired

When I grow up I’ll be good and strong
    I’ll create a world where I belong
    When I grow up

When I grow up
    I’ll be who I want to
    I’ll take every turn
    With purpose and see through
    The ups and downs
    The hills, the starry skies
    The beautiful beginning and reprise

When I grow up"

I think this is much better than the chicken fat one and the best in this 'powerful' series.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The visuals are nice (8/10) but the music is cringe-worthy (1/10). And it ends on an unnecessarily defensive note.

Who's coming up with this pap at Apple..... Ugh.
    I don't mind the music. It is kind of reflective and thoughtful in tone, yet very non-offensive. All these Apple ads are very 'safe', aimed to please the masses rather than a tight niche market. The ad shows what is possible in an aspirational way, and the music makes it seem light and effortless. It helps remove all associated techy-ness. It is lifestyle and very far removed from documentary. All these ads should be seen as one. I am sure the style will change when the new phones arrive.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Could be fun to juxtapose this video with an "evil twin" version using Tom Waits "I don't wanna grow up" video by the great Jim Jarmusch.

• Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Yeah, I think AI must have an agreement with google or something. I can't understand why else  they would always link to the youtube posting of these ads.

I always just go to Apple's website itself for the "Full True Experience" :D All the Apps are featured right below the ad.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/powerful/

As for complaining; Sadly, that's the main use of comment boards. (maybe the entire internet)

Probably because you can't embed videos from Apple's website. God forbid AI try to make it convenient for us to watch the videos by putting them in the article.

• Reply 26 of 60
    There are 4 ads now. I want Apple to disown the Strength ad.

Hate hate hate hate it!
  • Reply 27 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I agree with anantksundaram.

The visual part wasn't bad, but I don't like the music choice.

The same exact ad with a different audio and music background would have been better.

The music is too feel goody and too cheesy and I don't like the particular positive vibe that the ad conveys, because of the music choice.

• Reply 28 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Good ad, better then beats.

Oh hell yeah!

Even though I wasn't crazy about the music in this ad, it is miles above the abomination known as the Beats ad.

And just a FYI - I'm not picking on you or anything, but it's "better than Beats.", not then.

• Reply 29 of 60
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Guess some folks think music should make them feel like they're driving a Camaro. Living every hour of your day with a tune you can whistle accompanying your life ain't bad.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Contrived saccharine puss.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngluck View Post

The problem with these ads is they only show the iPhone doing things that EVERY other smartphone on the market does. And what firestation uses an iPhone to manage emergency calls? Cmon Apple. This is garbage.

First time post says it all. Please educate us on what other phone has all the hardware features and all the software apps that the iPhone 5s has because there isn't one even close. What are you, a  troll wanna be in training?

• Reply 32 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    realistic wrote: »
    First time post says it all. Please educate us on what other phone has all the hardware features and all the software apps that the iPhone 5s has because there isn't one even close. What are you, a  troll wanna be in training?

Good points. What other smartphone has all these HW accessories for wide ranging real world uses?
  • Reply 33 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    realistic wrote: »

I'm sure the OP says this quite a bit. :lol:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 34 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Youngluck View Post

This is garbage.

Yep, your post sure is.

• Reply 35 of 60

I must have missed the unnecessarily defensive note.  It ends with "...when I grow up."  How is that defensive?  Or are you speaking of a musical note?  Or the final scene of people poling along a waterway in boats?  Where on earth are you coming up with anything at the end of this ad that could be considered defensive?  I'm not picking up what you're putting down.  

Oh, and the music is light and positive.  Maybe you had a bad week in the market that's affected your perception this morning?

I viewed it again. My bad. Looks like I misread the tag line at the end as 'It's more powerful than you think.' (It's "you're", not "It's" -- huge difference.) So, I take back what said about the 'defensive' note at the end.

The music still sucks.

Add: If you let short-term swings in the market affect your 'perception,' you've got far more serious issues to worry about. I view those as noise.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Not bad, but a little too frenetic. And how dare Apple presume to know what I think?

• Reply 37 of 60
    danox wrote: »

That is where you are lost again, suffering from attention problems because you don't like the music Hmm....

Not lost at all. I think that the sound is there with the visuals for a reason. Presumably because the person who did it thinks the two are synergistic.

When one of those is lacking (as the music does for me, in this instance), it does, indeed, detract from the other.

I am quite happy with my aesthetic choices, and am quite glad that they don't mirror yours.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Marvin wrote: »

I thought the music was nice and very appropriate. The full version is here:

The ad series is about empowerment and the lyrics fit that theme:

"When I grow up
    I’ll be the hero
    Of my story book
    I’ll start at zero
    And rise and fall
    And rise and fall again
    My head, my heart
    I’ll fly into the wind

When I grow up
    The sun will greet me
    And every day
    I’ll meet it completely
    I’ll catch each wave and swim until I’m tired
    I’ll practice every move, so inspired

When I grow up I’ll be good and strong
    I’ll create a world where I belong
    When I grow up

When I grow up
    I’ll be who I want to
    I’ll take every turn
    With purpose and see through
    The ups and downs
    The hills, the starry skies
    The beautiful beginning and reprise

When I grow up"

I think this is much better than the chicken fat one and the best in this 'powerful' series.

The lyrics are fabulous. Thanks for that.

The voice, the rendition and the music do not do it justice. Also, many Apple consumers might see themselves as already grown up.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

many Apple consumers might see themselves as already grown up.

I see myself as already grown up (and so would anybody else!) but I enjoy feeling like a kid. Buying Apple products brings out that feeling.

Marketing

• Reply 40 of 60
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

OMG, what a dull, drab song. I wish someone had let the band finish waking up before they started recording.