Analyst: Apple could equip 5.5" 'iPhone 6' with more powerful processor than 4.7" model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    I can see several reasons for different variants of the A8:

Faster clock speed and maybe enhanced graphics for iPad (Especially an iPad Pro with larger screen.

Same for new AppleTV for console-quality games.

It's been quite a few years since I worked in the semiconductor industry. Back then, they would manufacture to a set of target specs -- then test for those specs. Rejects weren't discarded -- rather they were re-tested to lesser specs for use in lower priced/spec'd devices.

If they still do that, then you could have different yield levels based on testing, from the same manufacturing line -- A8 A8 ...

Also, there may be different variants to better interface/exploit more RAM and Flash storage. I'd like to see a 12" iPad with at least 8 GB RAM and 256 GB Flash.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

5.5" iPad nano I could believe (at a push) but not a 5.5" iPhone.

Sounds like a rumour put out by Samsung so Android odd-balls can whinge and moan when when it doesn't happen.

• Reply 23 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Faster clock speed and maybe enhanced graphics for iPad (Especially an iPad Pro with larger screen.

It's been quite a few years since I worked in the semiconductor industry. Back then, they would manufacture to a set of target specs -- then test for those specs. Rejects weren't discarded -- rather they were re-tested to lesser specs for use in lower priced/spec'd devices.

If they still do that, then you could have different yield levels based on testing, from the same manufacturing line -- A8 A8 ...

Also, there may be different variants to better interface/exploit more RAM and Flash storage. I'd like to see a 12" iPad with at least 8 GB RAM and 256 GB Flash.
    But does it make sense to artificially bifurcate the iPhone line just to get people to buy one model over the other? Apple deemed the A7 chip adequate for the 4" iPhone, 7.9" iPad and 9.7" iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

I stopped reading at: "Analyst: ..."

• Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think Apple would be making a big mistake if they come out with two new phone sizes and gave the larger phone better specs. Especially considering they basically went the opposite way with iPads last year. All you really had to focus on was what size you wanted. You didn't have to make any compromises. What If I don't want a phablet but still want the best camera/processor/display etc. IMO the only differentiation that would be warranted is something that is specifically suited to a larger screen. Like iPads getting split screen multitasking but perhaps the 4.7" iPhone not getting that feature.

I'm still not convinced a 5.5" device exists, or if if does that Apple is considering it just a larger iPhone. If there's going to be differentiation, IMO it will be a completely different device with a specific purpose, like perhaps mobile gaming. Or maybe in an ironic twist it will have pen support ala the Galaxy Note.

Agreed with you, up until the last sentence.

"If you see a stylus, they blew it."

- Steve Jobs

• Reply 26 of 82

My final sentence answers your question.

Apple can segment the consumer market by designing each iPhone model around the shared needs of those most likely to purchase it. The 5.5" iPhone will *especially appeal to higher-income consumers (men, people in more prosperous nations who spend more time on their iPhones), Chinese buyers (where a larger typing surface is needed), gamers, and users in the enterprise. 

I submit (but can't prove) that this group of consumers places a higher value on, and are willing to pay more, for a bundle of faster processor/sapphire glass/extra storage than all other iPhone buyers, considered as a group.  So it makes sense for Apple to target this group when designing the 5.5" model, instead of making it identical to the 4.7" with a 0.8" stretch.  Segmenting one's market in this way is clearly a successful business practice, or GM would not offer both Chevies and Caddies. It's clearly in the interests of consumers, too.  

If the 5.5" iPhone 6 is distinguished from the 4.7" model only by its size, the price differential will be perhaps $50. If it's tricked out with complementary features, it'll sell for $100 to $150 more than the 4.7" model. Tim Cook is rational. 

• Reply 27 of 82
    rogifan wrote: »

But does it make sense to artificially bifurcate the iPhone line just to get people to buy one model over the other? Apple deemed the A7 chip adequate for the 4" iPhone, 7.9" iPad and 9.7" iPad.

I don't believe that Apple will "artificially bifurcate the iPhone line" (or the iPad line). Rather, they will say that the new iDevices have the new A8 APU, and leave it (the CPU Spec) at that ... Then they will use any different variants to match the requirements (cost, performance capacity) and intended uses of the specific devices.

This is how they do it now for iPhones:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

And for the iPad:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

I don't believe that most people buy on specs -- rather they buy based on the job(s) they want to do.

Edit: Anxiously awaiting beta 5
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So much wrong in this comment.

1. iPhone MS isn't that large. They have a good, better, best already. Designing for everyone is designing for no one. Can't please everyone so don't waste time trying.

2. How was the 5C botched? It outsold what the 4S did last year.

3. Apple doesn't have a problem. Why would the plans change according to device?

4. Lots of people use their iPhones outdoors and have no problems. Sport version is a marketing gimmick.

My prediction is the 5.5" will come with a rainbow vomiting unicorn.

Agree with everything except for water resistance. The technology is already out there to coat PBCs with a water repellent film that doesn't affect normal operation or cooling. I wouldn't go so far as to market a "sports" model, nor to brag about "mil-spec" submersibility since this would require the use of awkward and easy to lose plastic covers for external ports (a la Samsung). Nonetheless, providing some degree of water resistance seems like a no-brainer as it would give users some peace of mind to use their devices when exposed to perspiration, an occasional rain shower or around damp, poolside environments.

• Reply 29 of 82
    freediverx wrote: »
    Agreed with you, up until the last sentence.

"If you see a stylus, they blew it."
    - Steve Jobs
    Steve was talking about primary mode of interaction. My fingers will never be better for note taking or drawing.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post

My final sentence answers your question.

Apple can segment the consumer market by designing each iPhone model around the shared needs of those most likely to purchase it. The 5.5" iPhone will *especially appeal to higher-income consumers (men, people in more prosperous nations who spend more time on their iPhones), Chinese buyers (where a larger typing surface is needed), gamers, and users in the enterprise. 

I submit (but can't prove) that this group of consumers places a higher value on, and are willing to pay more, for a bundle of faster processor/sapphire glass/extra storage than all other iPhone buyers, considered as a group.  So it makes sense for Apple to target this group when designing the 5.5" model, instead of making it identical to the 4.7" with a 0.8" stretch.  Segmenting one's market in this way is clearly a successful business practice, or GM would not offer both Chevies and Caddies. It's clearly in the interests of consumers, too.  

If the 5.5" iPhone 6 is distinguished from the 4.7" model only by its size, the price differential will be perhaps $50. If it's tricked out with complementary features, it'll sell for $100 to $150 more than the 4.7" model. Tim Cook is rational. 

I am of the belief that a majority of prospective customers for a flagship iPhone model would expect top-of-the-line features and functionality but would not accept a phablet-sized device. Therefore I posit that if Apple were to market a phablet as their flagship model, while denigrating the normal sized iPhone as a second-tier product, they would alienate more potential customers then they would attract (myself included), and would negatively impact sales and customer loyalty.

The mainland Chinese market may very well prefer jumbo sized phones, just like they may prefer gold plating and a diamond studded case,  but Apple will not tarnish their reputation for good taste (and their existing customer base) just to serve the Chinese market.

• Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Steve was talking about primary mode of interaction. My fingers will never be better for note taking or drawing.

Apple doesn't prevent you from using a stylus, but they're unlikely to ship a tablet with a stylus as that would imply its use is necessary, which it isn't. As far as note taking goes, I can type much faster than I can handwrite, so I do all my note taking without a stylus. (And yes, I've tried both... I used a stylus for about 4 months straight and eventually realized that I wasn't any faster with it so I stopped using it.)

• Reply 32 of 82
    rogifan wrote: »
    Who decided larger screen = Best? I don't want a 5.5" phone. If Apple goes that route then I'll just keep my 5S and see they they do next year. I'm not going to purchase an inferior device just because I prefer a smaller screen size.

You don't have to purchase it. So what your saying is that if the rumored 4.7" is twice as fast as the 5s, but the rumored 5.5" is a little faster you would feel cheated? Is it just because you couldn't tell people you had the fastest one? I don't get the logic.
  • Reply 33 of 82

iPhone 5.5": Fake or not, i will wait a little after the launch of 4.7"

• Reply 34 of 82
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    Apple Anal-cyst here!

I can also make predictions.

Apple could also equip all of their iPhone 6 variants with the same Ax processor. Now how do I get paid?

When you add that you made "supply chain checks" ;)
  • Reply 35 of 82
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

I find this article BS. Really, By comparing the chip clock for iPad Air vs iPad mini with 5.5" vs 4.7" iPhone is totally crap. iPad and iPad mini screen size difference is almost 2" diagonal while iPhone 5.5" (if it's true) is only 0.8" different from 4.7" version. I don't see any reason why Apple must clock the chip differently for these iPhone 6 which in turn creates more complication for productions.

• Reply 36 of 82
    You don't have to purchase it. So what your saying is that if the rumored 4.7" is twice as fast as the 5s, but the rumored 5.5" is a little faster you would feel cheated? Is it just because you couldn't tell people you had the fastest one? I don't get the logic.
    No. I'm not talking about if the rumored 5.5" iPhone has a slightly higher clock speed (or slightly better battery life just because it has a bigger battery). I'm talking about real differences like sapphire display or better camera or completely different chip. I'm talking about artificially making the 4.7" device inferior for no other reason than Apple trying to create "differentiation" (when screen size alone should be the differentiation). Btw, I still don't believe Apple is going to do this, and IF there is a 5.5 device it will be a completely different device (ala the Note being different than the Galaxy S) or will have nearly identical specs to its 4.7" sibling.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post

Most people wouldn't care about a small difference in processor clock speed. But there would definitely be an issue if the larger phone came with exclusive features like a better camera or some new functionality.

• Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

gotta pay to play.

The price is not the issue.

• Reply 39 of 82
    sog35 wrote: »
    gotta pay to play.
    It's not about price. Not everyone wants a phablet.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

buy bigger pants or lose weight.

problem solved.

Bet you look great in your dad jeans.