Did anyone notice about the streaming keynote...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...that it worked? Like, it worked really well, so well that I didn't even notice how well until it was over. I never lost the connection, never experienced jittery sound, rarely saw compression artifacts, and only very rarely lost frames. Even watching Steve zoom photos in and out in iPhoto came across beautifully. The new iMac came through in drool-inducing quality. Neither my computer nor my net connection (ATT@Home) have changed since the last three MacWorlds (which were barely listenable and not really watchable via webcast for me), so either net traffic was slow on a post-vacation Monday morning or Apple and Akami are getting this whole webcast thing down. I was mightily impressed.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Towel ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    This was the first time I watched the kynote via QuickTime and I was really impressed. The picture was lost twice for a minute or so and there were a few times the sound wasn't too good, but otherwise it was great.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    Once I realized that my quicktime streaming settings were wrong, and I fixed them, it all worked quite well. Excellent quality picture, thanks in no small part to me school's lan. It was all much better than MWNY, or last year's MWSF.

I had originally thought that the fact that Apple Stores were showing the kenyote, meaning that 8,100 mac nerds (300 per store x 27 stores) who would have been watching the stream where watching the satelite feed at their local apple store might have made some contribution, but then I read this article.<a href="http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.011002/220102020&ticker=AKAM"; target="_blank">click</a>

It seems they served up more streams than the past two macworld, and it still looked awesome.

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 3 of 22
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    agreed. I was at the satelite feed at the manhatten market center and I was also watching the megabit stream via airport on my Powerbook G4. the qt stream was better than the satelite!! seriously.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I (attempted) to watch it (on a pc) in a large internet cafe (I have no access to broardband at work) and the quality was in a word, crap. Continual break up (sound or vision hardly ever both at the same time), having to reset the stream about every 2 mins, before crapping out compleately and refusing to reconnect during the iMac ad.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    fiatfiat Posts: 13member
    Yes, the streaming keynote quality was excellent. Even when stretching the screen wider. Possibly due to Quicktime 5 or dual G5 Servers?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Quality was excellent and I had ZERO problems with it (just like last year)
  • Reply 7 of 22
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I watched the repeat (was at school during the live presentation) and the quality was amazing. Far better than any MW stream i've watched before. And i've almost always watched the repeats.

Mediaman, could it be that the internet cafe was the problem? Perhaps they just have crappy bandwidth.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    For me, this is the first time the quality was bad?! My video connection kept dropping in & out, alternating every 15+ seconds. Very annoying...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    There was a 1mbps stream? since Tokyo last year I swaer Apple was only doing 300kbps streams. I have the connection set to max.

I watched the streram in Mac OS 9, on my 27 TV (640x480) full screaned the keynote. it was a bit blocky as usual (I also was watching the keynote on TechTV Canada, which of course went to Commercials!!! so I ending uo watching the stream.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I watched the thing with my Rev B. iMac on its 56k modem and was really amazed. I've tried it before and it was terrible. I don't really know why I tried it this time because of my bad experiences but I was pleasantly surprised when Steve wasn't made out of massive fuzzy blocks of pixels.

Would of course have loved to have watched it on broadband.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I was impressed too, but one interesting thing happened. When Steve came on stage, it looked as though he'd been hit in the face with a shovel. Probably compression artifacts, but it looked real. Anyway, a second or so later it cleared up. But yeah, cudos to Akamai for serving up a very nice stream!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    katekate Posts: 172member
    ....hmmm, even after switching the QT settings to 56kBit modem I got audio 75% audible and video 10% visible. This on a static T1 line.....europe, the end of the world when it comes to streaming.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    I have never been able to connect to a QuickTime stream on my Windows box here at work. This year was no exception.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    The absolute worst quality stream ever!

I was watching on a 600MHz iBook in OSX with Quicktime Pro on a cable modem. When the sound wasn't choppy the video would go completely white or just freeze. Ended up doing work and just listened to it. Very disappointed.

Booted into OS9...no better.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I watched it over Earthlink DSL and it worked perfectly. Very impressive.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Earthlink DSL didn't do so hot here .... sound was good, but video only played about 10% ... got the same result when i reconfigured for 56k speeds ... i usually get good streaming here (from other sources) so I assumed it was just congestion on the other end.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    no, I didnt notice. My cable modem had constant troubles, but even when it was working I could only hold about 1 frame every few seconds.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    completely unviewable connection at my office with a t1. plus, os x quicktime has an annoying habit of flashing white when it doesn't know what goes on the screen. thought my head was going to explode.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Excellent. Watching it inside my university on the network, and it didn't stutter once. About an hour in, there was an audio sync problem, but reconnecting to the stream sorted that out.

Just a quick question...what size should stream come up at? it just seemed small to me (256x192 pixels)

AJ
  • Reply 20 of 22
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by admactanium:

<strong>completely unviewable connection at my office with a t1. plus, os x quicktime has an annoying habit of flashing white when it doesn't know what goes on the screen. thought my head was going to explode.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The white a few times was the only problem that I had that annoyed me.